"stuffy"

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: "stuffy"

Post by bloke »

She sounds like a good candidate for promoting to one's fb blocked list.

Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

So having read but not studied Rick's treatise on stuffiness.

I had zero problem playing the VMI. Zero. I actually did the "blow (not buzz) through the valves test." No resistance with any valve, and with the Hagen, as I said, by the time I got to the 4th valve, it literally felt like I had to blow something out of the way to get the air through it. Is that due to bore size, the wrap, "the way it resonates" or what? Since I wasn't even buzzing with the "blow test," the test was just "how hard is it to blow air through this instrument?" It was hard to blow air through the Hagen. It was easy to blow air through the VMI. It's easy to blow air through the Star. The only problem I had with the VMI was using too-fast air in it which caused me to burble on attacks, and in very little time I'd fix that.

I would have that VMI in an instant and maybe my friend will sell it to me. It even has an Altieri bag with it. Ergonomics were fine.

So I'll just conclude that it is the combo of what I find playable for my size and what that particular Hagen is. That combo did not work for me. As I've said before, the valves were stellar and so was the intonation.

I never had a problem blowing a 184, and I've had two of them. I had no trouble switching between the Star and the last 184 I had.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I can guarantee that something was wrong with the hagen. Cant imagine what, but if you don't have a problem playing other BBb tubas, you shouldn't have a problem with a "normal" Hagen

Sounds like something was inside the body, like a piece of packing material. It happens. I remember a good friend finding a packing peanut in a sousaphone at a show.
Yep, I'm Mark
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The first JP179B that I ever picked up and showed at the Army conference played very badly, I'm certain that there was something stuck down inside of it.

It (with no packing material stuck down in it somewhere) is a superior substitute for a YBB-621, as the JP has all nickel slides, stainless steel pistons, and a much sturdier hard case ( and sells for less than half the price). It's not a complete copy, but the body and the bore sizes are the same.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I'm surprised the shop Mary Ann purchased it from didn't insist that she get it checked out locally before returning it for a refund
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
Mary Ann (Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:24 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:55 pm
peterbas wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:26 pm I'm with Mark on this, there had to be something really wrong if you simply can blow easy through the instrument.
What question that brings up for me is, since they are tuba players at that store, why they didn't fix that problem before they tried to sell it, or --- did they try and couldn't, or, is it really a problem? I'm pretty sure they are monitoring this discussion. Obviously I do not put the name of the store here. And the question still remains as to whether I have a problem or it had a problem. Not until I play another one, will I have the answer to that.
I now have the Hagen 3/4 here that Mark played at the Army conference. It plays perfectly and there WAS something WRONG with the OTHER one I had here. Absolutely positively something wrong. And I paid $600 shipping on that dog that I couldn't blow air through without meeting incredible resistance. Why they would send that out to people is beyond me.

THIS one is wonderful, delightful, and every other superlative adjective I can come up with. Need I say that Dillon Music has my business from now on?
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
LeMark (Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:32 pm)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

A happy customer for @Matt Walters

Congrats! I was very impressed with the hagen, and disappointed that miraphone didn't have one at TMEA so I could play one for my wife
Mary Ann (Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:46 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

@bloke told me that the early Hagens had cork bumpers (?) as half the bumpers, and that they squish down and then the valves are not positioning correctly. However, I did pull the 4th valve and look down the tube, and to my admittedly inexperienced eyes, the valve looked like it was positioned correctly.
However, the 184 I sold recently, that I had no trouble playing, I was told by the new owner that it had the wrong bumpers in it and was twice as loud after they were replaced with the right ones. But that 184, that I now know had the wrong bumpers, was not resistant like this Hagen was. Eventually I will calm down and quit talking about it.

And now I think I will go make enough noise to pester the neighbors.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post (total 2):
jtm (Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:27 pm) • peterbas (Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:23 am)
PlayTheTuba

Post by PlayTheTuba »

Mary Ann wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:31 pm ...THIS one is wonderful, delightful, and every other superlative adjective I can come up with. Need I say that Dillon Music has my business from now on?
YYYYUUUUUSSSSSS!!!!! :cheers: :tuba:
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

What Steve Ferguson wrote me when I wrote and said he should refund my $600 shipping for having sent me a tuba with something clearly wrong with it:

Thank you for the note. I understand your feeling and I did play this exact tuba and I liked it and I didn't have another one to compare it to. I intended to send you a great instrument and that's what I thought it was. Our agreement was that you pay round trip shipping.
Best,
Steve
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I'm wondering what he did with the horn when he received it. Did he test it to see what happened to it in shipping?
peterbas (Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:23 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:07 pm Jeff Anderson could make a dirty boot sound "not stuffy"!
Already being right up there at the top of the symphonic tuba player game, just imagine what he would sound like if he had a really great B-flat tuba. :smilie7:
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:30 am
arpthark wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:07 pm Jeff Anderson could make a dirty boot sound "not stuffy"!
Already being right up there at the top of the symphonic tuba player game, just imagine what he would sound like if he had a really great B-flat tuba. :smilie7:
Or a really great dirty boot...
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
bloke (Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:25 am)
Blake
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Maybe with extra dirt, to boot?
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

peterbas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:29 am
Mary Ann wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:30 pm What Steve Ferguson wrote me when I wrote and said he should refund my $600 shipping for having sent me a tuba with something clearly wrong with it:

Thank you for the note. I understand your feeling and I did play this exact tuba and I liked it and I didn't have another one to compare it to. I intended to send you a great instrument and that's what I thought it was. Our agreement was that you pay round trip shipping.
Best,
Steve
He should have at least offer dropping half the fair. He should have notice something surely when he got it back.
Certainly would have lost me as a costumer.

"consultative approach to our customers whom we consider friends"
Who needs friends like this?
The reason he didn't notice something was wrong with it when it came back was because he sent it out that way; it's not like I did something to it. They were playing it all the way up to when it was sent out, and guess what? No one bought it. Apparently he is such an incompetent player and / or such an incompentet repair person that he needed a 74 year old 95 pound amateur lady to tell him there was something wrong. OR the obvious --- he clearly knew something was wrong and is just re-sending it out and having people pay shipping until he finds a fool who keeps it.

His email in case anyone wants to tell him their opnion of what he does to customers: S Ferguson <info@hornguys.com>

I want every tuba player in the country to know about this, because it is NOT what should happen between a seller and a customer.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
peterbas (Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:46 am)
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'd choose $600 to not own a tuba that I don't like vs. $8K to own a tuba that I don't like.

Obviously, I'd choose neither, given that third choice.

The only tubas that I ever bought new/mail order were two Miraphones - a 186C in 1974 and a 188 (early 80's, when the goldbrass ones were first released). Both of those were the absolute WORST of EITHER model that I've EVER played...and my 4+2 B&S Symphonie (1982) which is the best tuba I've ever played.

After that, I've always bought used/in-person (even if way the hell off somewhere).

When I bought my (likely, just about the best of those) used/first-batch-shipped-to-the-USA model 5450, I first drove ALL the way up to Elkhart, played one at Brasswind (it sucked bad, and I knew it sucked - compared to others, because I had PREVIOUSLY played a VERY NICE one when they were brand new - in an elephant room), and then I drove down into Ohio (and bought a used one). It had two or three (previously not disclosed) dents, and (typical, as tuba players don't maintain their instruments) shitty valve action, but it PLAYED like (or even better than) the really good new/demo that I had played in an elephant room. I got in home and (by the next day, of course) the dents were gone, and the valves were fine. Being one of those "first batch" ones, the slides were aligned nearly as well as I would have set them up myself.

I still suspect there's something (packing material, etc.) down in the 494.
For quite a while, I've just not encountered a (new) Miraphone instrument that played worst/better than another.
Some say that the "demo" model 98 (which they displayed in the past) was a "bad" one, but - when I played it (undamaged) it was wonderful, and (as is my understanding) it was subsequently fairly seriously damaged and sort-of repaired.

postscript:
In-between the 186 and the 188, I also owned two different model 184C tubas. They were both great but (per 184C) required "fingerings" (as did that stinky 186C). I also owned a really pretty-sounding (very old: 1950's...but not all that old, at that time) Alex C... As the receiver ends of those mouthpipes were so straight, I made a 4-inch-long insert (from a ruined Conn 88H trombone goldbrass outside slide tube) which reduced the size of the capillary portion of the mouthpipe, and defined that instrument as MUCH easier to play. It was tricky to make and insert (requiring a final step after insertion, which fit the large end of that insert out to the bore of the original mouthpipe...I used a cable and a ball, inserted from the #1 rotor casing).

The last of the two 184 tubas was disposed of when I bought the B&S Symphonie Modell F. A full-time German orchestra tuba player was headed to the USA to perform in a big tuba shindig, and bought it for me in East Germany (as West Germans were allowed into and back out of East Germany, and certainly if it was their intention to purchase goods). That same player continued to try to convince me to have them purchase a new Alex F for me...but (well...and with apologies to Alex F fans) I knew better.

bloke "Model 184 tuba feel 'stuffy' compared to many tubas made these days, but do not feel 'stuffy' after playing them for an hour/day/week - ie. however long it takes for someone to become accustomed to a different model."
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

There are two sides for every story.

I'm not saying that I doubt Mary Ann, But Steve's been in this business for very long time, and something doesn't seem right there. And especially since Mary Ann has played several other rotary tubas by this brand, I don't think it's like she doesn't know how to play it, or doesn't know what she's looking for. It's really easy to tell when there's something wrong with the tuba. So yes, I do believe her that something was wrong.

My first guess would be a piece of packaging material is lodged down inside of the instrument somewhere. Possibly not from when Steve sent it to you, but from when it was shipped from Germany to Steve.

I mean we're all making up our best guesses here, but what if A piece of styrofoam was loose, and sitting in the bottom bow of the tuba. I think you could play a tuba all day long, and not notice there was a piece of styrofoam in there. Especially if there's any moisture, it will just stick where it is and not fall out even if you turn the tuba upside down.

The tuba then gets shipped to Arizona. It's much drier, and the styrofoam becomes dislodged and can move around inside the tuba. Or maybe there's some weird static charges, and it moves a little farther up the side branches.

To but then gets playtested with the newly re-stuck styrofoam that is not visible or accessible. Tuba plays poorly, with no obvious obstructions visible. And in my experience, one piece of Styrofoam is all it takes to really screw things up.

Tuba gets shipped back to Steve, and perhaps it gets dislodged again, or otherwise just around and is again non-problematic, or maybe even fell out when he unpackaged the tuba and discarded the most recent shipping materials.

That is a highly contrived story, which may or may not have actually happened. Very likely it did not happen.

But I do think there's some combination of scenarios or events that could have cost Steve to have a good experience and you have a bad experience. There should really be three data points here to compare, Steve before shipping, you upon receipt, and Steve after shipping back.

Did you ask anybody else in Arizona to try it before you sent it back? If not, I wonder if getting the tuba flushed out, or at least given a once-over by a repair person would have been a good idea. No, I would not expect that to be necessary for this brand, but it seems illogical and unexpected that something so wrong could happen with this tuba, both in terms of it shipping from the factory to Steve, and then Steve sending it along to you.... And maybe, Steve would have helped with the repair costs, if it was found that a piece of packaging material was lodged way up inside. Because that would never have been your fault.

Sorry this all happened to you, and I think it would do Steve well to have the tuba checked out by somebody else on his side as well. Who knows, maybe the rotors got out of alignment or something.

$600 is a lot of dollars, but you were already on the hook for $300, no matter what. But even if Steve finds something stuck in the tuba now, it's impossible to say when that happened, how it happened, etc. Somebody's going to be out the shipping money, and it's kind of a lose lose for both people. He's not trying to play one over on you, and you aren't trying to play one over on him.

Is there still an open chance for more resolution? Or is this closed and shut at - $600?