Old Man Tubas... a list or repository?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Three Valves

Re: Old Man Tubas... a list or repository?

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:34 pm For those of us who claim that a difference between 20 pounds and 25 pounds is going to hurt their knees/feet/lower back – and who are also at least 5 pounds overweight, the solution does seem obvious, doesn’t it? 😐
Is there anything worse than a reformed fatty trying to convert the rest of us fatties to the path of non-fatty?? :slap:

:smilie2:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bisontuba (Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:17 pm)

Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Three Valves wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:59 pm
bloke wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:34 pm For those of us who claim that a difference between 20 pounds and 25 pounds is going to hurt their knees/feet/lower back – and who are also at least 5 pounds overweight, the solution does seem obvious, doesn’t it? 😐
Is there anything worse than a reformed fatty trying to convert the rest of us fatties to the path of non-fatty?? :slap:

:smilie2:
Before/after surgery, I picked c. 20 lbs. back up...I'm now re-removing them.

...but only dropping FIVE pounds (vs. selling off a wonderful 25 lb. tuba and buying a so-so 20 lb. tuba)...WTFingF...!?!?
Last edited by bloke on Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

bloke wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:16 pm
Before/after surgery, I picked c. 20 lbs. back up...I'm not re-removing them.

...but only dropping FIVE pounds (vs. selling off a wonderful 25 lb. tuba and buying a so-so 20 lb. tuba)...WTFingF...!?!?

You and your common sense and logic... :slap:
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

You all wait until I get home Friday and have a few pops, then I'll REALLY let it fly!!

:slap:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

As a 70-year-old who is working diligently to lose that extra weight, I can testify to something else where 5 lbs. of tuba makes a difference. When Arthur-itis (inherited from my mother) becomes your friend and your hand looks like this. It is also why I shy away from piston valves. I can handle rotary paddles fine; they just don't seem to move as fast as they once did.
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

As a 70-year-old who is working diligently to lose that extra weight, I can testify to something else where 5 lbs. of tuba makes a difference. When Arthur-itis (inherited from my mother) becomes your friend and your hand looks like this. It is also why I shy away from piston valves. I can handle rotary paddles fine; they just don't seem to move as fast as they once did. Doc says he can pin them and make them permanently straight, but then I wouldn't be able to bend them at all.
Attachments
Hand.jpg
Hand.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 862 times
These users thanked the author Jperry1466 for the post:
bloke (Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:18 pm)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

That picture of Phil Collins from the other day was a sobering glimpse of what 71 can look like
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I don’t (yet) face the challenges that you’re facing with your finger joints, but I have thought about that stuff a lot, and I think it’s high time that the technology appear to replace fingerjoints just as some other joints are now replaceable. Undoubtedly, it would be horribly expensive, because the surgery would be so tremendously delicate, and so much would be involved.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Jperry1466 (Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:37 pm)
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

bloke wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:34 pm I don’t (yet) face the challenges that you’re facing with your finger joints, but I have thought about that stuff a lot, and I think it’s high time that the technology appear to replace fingerjoints just as some other joints are now replaceable. Undoubtedly, it would be horribly expensive, because the surgery would be so tremendously delicate, and so much would be involved.
There are some replacement knuckles, but the doc calls them "rubber knuckes" which are not suitable for the two fingers that are so twisted. He says they work for the ring finger and pinky, but would quickly wear out on the heavy-use fingers and then just hang there loosely. I am hoping that the type of technology that replaced my knee can someday be available for those fingers.

The good news is I can play the rotary paddles with minimal pain and without bending the 1st and 2nd knuckle. Part of the problem is that I have had to take 5mg of Prednisone every day for the last 22 years, due to my kidney transplant. That stuff isn't good for bones and promotes the arthritis. It also keeps me hungry 24/7, but I'm working hard on that.
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tofu for the post:
bloke (Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:55 am)
pjv

Post by pjv »

One thing that can tire me out are those loooong rehearsals. The going back and forth to rehearse a section you only play 4 notes in. All t writing down of markings that should've been in the part anyway. That's when I notice (mostly the next day) that I've either picked up my tuba 100x or at least scooted it from the lap resting position to the playing position 100x.

Using a old fashioned storage/playing stand can really make a difference (I think Yamaha's Airlift is the most recent resurrection of this). I don't really like playing with my tuba in a vice grip, but I'm usually very I happy I did it afterwards. I'll then leave it at home for the gig. (though I did once use it for a mega-quick-orchestra-pit-instrument-switch).

User friendly tuba (what a paradox!). I think about it this way

1. Easy Player.
No use having a light tuba if it doesn't play the way you want. Easy tuning is an important part of easy playing. And valves that aren't too heavy can be an important.
2. They Way It's Made.
No matter what you do, gravity is pulling the top of the tuba downwards (unless of coarse you don't hold your tuba at about an 80 degree angle, the most common playing position). Lots of things can help to compensate: a lighter tuba, shelf-liner, smaller bell-flair, shorter bell stack. A bottom heavy tuba might even be the best compensation. And since we all have different bodies, the build and weight distribution of any particular model affects each of us differently. A sousaphone is way more comfortable to play standing than even a very light tuba because sousaphones are well balanced. And they have an adjustable mouthpipe!

Too bad sousaphones have to rest on your shoulder (if only because half of your lungs are under there!).
Now what I do notice is that a fibreglass sous plays incredibly easy and because of this respond quickly.
Why? Dunno. Less work?
I've also played one of these Cool Wind rotary things. Sounded like a tuba, much more than I expected. I don't think it's the answer but I still support any initiative to make tubas better. Better for me is better intonation, easier to play and, yes, lighter.

Until someone makes a high quality carbon fiber tuba, we'll have to be happy with, what, a Piggy maybe.

I just hope someone wants to sell me their fibreglass Martin tuba.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Those OLD MAN TUBAS...They JUST KEEP blowin' alooooooong.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
humBell (Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:28 am)
hrender

Post by hrender »

This might be worth adding to the list.

https://reverb.com/item/48699128-w-mein ... valve-tuba
humBell

Post by humBell »

bloke wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:59 am Those OLD MAN TUBAS...They JUST KEEP blowin' alooooooong.
The other free asociation i can't not make is to a book by John Scalzi...

(been long enough since i read it, i am not confident in making an off hand obtuse reference)
"All art is one." -Hal
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I believe that's actually called "Model 186"...a scant amount larger than 5/8" bore...Jinbao made some knockoffs of these.
They need three more valves - just because there's room to add three more.
hrender wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:13 am This might be worth adding to the list.

https://reverb.com/item/48699128-w-mein ... valve-tuba
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

To be honest, I think my Martin Eb could do this job just fine... small bore, not too heavy, really good ergonomics. Shockingly, it will be 100 years old in just a few years, but it's in such good condition that I have little doubt that it could handle more. At some point it will wear out, but then again, these things were made to be used.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Sidebar -- I think the coolest old man tubas are the ones that the old man has used forever and ever.

I realize the irony of ME saying that!
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
jtm (Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:41 pm)
jtm

Post by jtm »

I've lost track... Did somebody say 188, either because it's so easy to play or just because 188?
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free