4/4 or 5/4 BBb Tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Erik_Sweden

4/4 or 5/4 BBb Tuba

Post by Erik_Sweden »

Right now I play on a Miraphone 497 Hagen (6/4 BBb), but find it a bit to large for me. I'm playing mostly in Concert Band.
Which in you opinion is the most easy to play (4/4 or 5/4 rotary BBb) tuba in the low register (Bb under the system and below)?

/Erik

Miraphone Hagen 497
Kevbach33
Has thanked: 0

Re: 4/4 or 5/4 BBb Tuba

Post by Kevbach33 »

I'd give a B&S GR51 (or the Eastman copy) a shot. I tried one and the low register just roared out of it. Don't be deceived by the smaller-than-the big-Hagen (19-20 mm iirc for the B&S) bore size.

Speaking of Hagen models...

The 496 (5/4) could be right up your alley if you otherwise like the way the 497 plays. I've read nothing but good on here and want to try one myself.

OTOH, don't let ease of use in the low register take away from the staff register. Depending on the concert band, you might find yourself playing there more frequently than belting low F's.
F Schmidt 2103 BBb, Laskey 30G US
Wessex TE360P Bombino Eb, Perantucci PT-84S
JP274MKII Euphonium, Tucci RT-7C
Various slide things
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I find the 494 to be able to really put the sound out, and it's not going to require the same air -- plus -- it is a stellar tuba in all ways. Play one of those before you make a decision.
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

As above, the B&S GR51 is delightful.

I’ve never tried one of the smaller Hagen cousins…