Getzen CB 50

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
tubro
Has thanked: 0

Getzen CB 50

Post by tubro »

Any thoughts about a Getzen CB 50 CC Tuba? How are the playing abilities?

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Getzen CB 50

Post by bloke »

With limited experience, my - well... - limited experiences have been positive.

They might worry 5th-valve-in-the-mouthpipe-tube-o-phobes, but I try to never prejudge an instrument based on design (nor country of origin, for that matter).

Obviously, they're very "mellow"-sounding instruments - along the lines of the Eastman things, the Conn 56J things, and the century-old short-stature York 19"-bell things.

I've never (before) owned a tuba of that style (and the only B-flat tuba I've ever owned have been my sousaphone and the recent-acquisition "kaiser" which I'm currently exploring)...but I'm in the process of building (to keep for myself) a similar-style (again, though B-flat) tuba that is in the same style/bore family as the CB-50.

page 5: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=911&start=80

...so what I'm suggesting is that I've finally decided - after nearly a half century of chasing after paychecks with tubas - that this style of tuba will probably prove to be useful TO ME, and - since I really don't currently own a "workhorse/common-usages" B-flat, this particular instrument (OK...rather than C) is going to be a B-flat instrument...but the "Bb/C" thing is sorta off to the side of the main point...

...to clarify - after all that blather:
I like 'em, and I believe Lee Stofer is building a few more of them from remaining parts.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 pm)
Yorkboy

Post by Yorkboy »

I haven't played one in at least 2 decades, so I can't remember exactly what my impression was - but, if it's anything like the horn I'm building at present (basically the same horn, same valveset and bore, but in BBb - not unlike the one bloke is building concurrently, and with bloke's advice and support, too) it should prove to be a winner. It's got a rich velvety sound, but it can "crank" when pushed, as well.

Just my $0.02, YMMV
These users thanked the author Yorkboy for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:42 pm)
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

Underrated do-it-all tuba. I noticed the range of how they played seemed wider on these than other models, which I thought was kind of cool. I think I've played about 1/4 of the ones built, and none of them were bad.
These users thanked the author kingrob76 for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:43 pm)
Rob. Just Rob.
GC

Post by GC »

They show up at Baltimore Brass fairly regularly.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
tubro

Post by tubro »

Thanks for your Informations they are really helpful! That sounds like a very good Tuba on a reasonable price level!! Why did they stop to build them? Because the canadian Brass endorsement ended?
These users thanked the author tubro for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:43 pm)
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

tubro wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:31 am Thanks for your Informations they are really helpful! That sounds like a very good Tuba on a reasonable price level!! Why did they stop to build them? Because the canadian Brass endorsement ended?
I spoke with a Getzen rep about that once. It came down to money. They could make a bunch of trumpets compared to one tuba for the same cost.

Lee Stofer now owns the "rights" (I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology) to that model and builds them with some improvements of his own.
These users thanked the author Tubajug for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:44 pm)
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
tubro

Post by tubro »

A friend of mine told me that mr stofer is very ill and had to stop dooing his work, is that true. Anyway his tuba is too expensive for me...
These users thanked the author tubro for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:44 pm)
Lee Stofer

Post by Lee Stofer »

The Getzen CB-50 and G-50 tubas were of a very good design and made of generally very good parts. There were several small but important design elements that failed to optimize what the design can do, so my mission has been to try to make the necessary changes to make this compact 4/4 CC play as if York had indeed engineered and built it. I really like a tuba that is completely consistent in response from one note to the next, and having superior intonation, as well as a beautiful, balanced tonal quality.

The fact that the Getzens were good but not as good as they could have been may have hurt sales. The model CB-50 was made for about a year or so in the early 1990's, until the Canadian Brass agreement was terminated. A few more were made between 1993 and 2001 as model G-50, and then the line was discontinued, the remaining parts collecting dust in a warehouse until they made me an offer to help them clean out the warehouse in 2013, purchasing the remaining Getzen tuba parts.

To date I have crafted six new custom CC tubas and sold them. I built Stofer CC #0006 this Spring, and shipped it to Tokyo, Japan early in the Summer.
Stofer CC #007 (the James Bond Tuba ;^) is in the works, and I'm traveling to Martin Wilk's this weekend to pick up more MAW pistons and MAW rotors.
I just serviced serial #003 for the owner this morning, and was delighted to see it still in such good condition.

I have had the privilege of renovating and improving a number of Getzen CB/G-50's. Having sorted out the problems with the Getzen, I add several braces where needed and remove two that actually detract from the performance. I then re-taper the leadpipe to be conical-enough to actually fit the 5th rotor tubing, eliminating stepped ferrules or other ways of cheating to make it fit. This makes a tremendous difference in the overall playing qualities of the instrument, particularly the intonation, and power in all registers. To anyone that would like their Getzen tuba "balanced and blueprinted," I would invite them to contact me about having the upgrades done.

Although May 15, 2019 through May of this year felt like an uphill battle fighting prostate cancer, I successfully have emerged from the treatments cancer-free, and able to go running again, as well as continuing to run the shop on a daily basis. I did turn over the North American handling of the Schlipf tuba mutes to Chris Hite and Buddy Roger's Music in Cincinatti, as they are better equipped for retail sales, and my shop is on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

As Mark Twain once said, "News of my death is greatly exaggerated."
Last edited by Lee Stofer on Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Lee Stofer for the post (total 7):
MN_TimTuba (Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:35 pm) • LargeTuba (Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:26 am) • jonesbrass (Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:49 am) • prairieboy1 (Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:30 pm) • Estubist (Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:10 am) and 2 more users
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

good to hear from you Lee!
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:47 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Being in the boondocks myself, Lee, I heard nothing of your struggles, but I'm delighted to (having not heard the bad news) hear the good news!

I'm awaiting your next mpc., the Stofer Buescherbecke - a tribute to your geography

These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:47 pm)
brianf

Post by brianf »

I made the trip to Iowa with my G-50 for Lee to do his magic. The horn plays much better, I would recommend that anyone who has a CB-50/G-50 contact Lee and have him work on their hor.

Lee, great health news !
These users thanked the author brianf for the post (total 2):
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:47 pm) • bloke (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:59 pm)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Lee -- awesome news about your health!

Still curious about those MAW rotors. If I win the lottery, I'm going to ask (or coax?) you to make a 5-rotsry valve version of this tuba.

Typically, I haven't loved the G-50, because of its short height ... The bell is just too close to my head. Not comfortable, and a weird feedback sensation compared to what I'm used to. I'm sure I could get over it though!

IIRC, David Fedderly used one of these in Baltimore, when he needed less than his Yorkbrunner. And/or after his back injury a good while ago.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:48 pm)
tubro

Post by tubro »

Lee Stofer wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:42 pm The Getzen CB-50 and G-50 tubas were of a very good design and made of generally very good parts. There were several small but important design elements that failed to optimize what the design can do, so my mission has been to try to make the necessary changes to make this compact 4/4 CC play as if York had indeed engineered and built it. I really like a tuba that is completely consistent in response from one note to the next, and having superior intonation, as well as a beautiful, balanced tonal quality.

The fact that the Getzens were good but not as good as they could have been may have hurt sales. The model CB-50 was made for about a year or so in the early 1990's, until the Canadian Brass agreement was terminated. A few more were made between 1993 and 2001 as model G-50, and then the line was discontinued, the remaining parts collecting dust in a warehouse until they made me an offer to help them clean out the warehouse in 2013, purchasing the remaining Getzen tuba parts.

To date I have crafted six new custom CC tubas and sold them. I built Stofer CC #0006 this Spring, and shipped it to Tokyo, Japan early in the Summer.
Stofer CC #007 (the James Bond Tuba ;^) is in the works, and I'm traveling to Martin Wilk's this weekend to pick up more MAW pistons and MAW rotors.
I just serviced serial #003 for the owner this morning, and was delighted to see it still in such good condition.

I have had the privilege of renovating and improving a number of Getzen CB/G-50's. Having sorted out the problems with the Getzen, I add several braces where needed and remove two that actually detract from the performance. I then re-taper the leadpipe to be conical-enough to actually fit the 5th rotor tubing, eliminating stepped ferrules or other ways of cheating to make it fit. This makes a tremendous difference in the overall playing qualities of the instrument, particularly the intonation, and power in all registers. To anyone that would like their Getzen tuba "balanced and blueprinted," I would invite them to contact me about having the upgrades done.

Although May 15, 2019 through May of this year felt like an uphill battle fighting prostate cancer, I successfully have emerged from the treatments cancer-free, and able to go running again, as well as continuing to run the shop on a daily basis. I did turn over the North American handling of the Schlipf tuba mutes to Chris Hite and Buddy Roger's Music in Cincinatti, as they are better equipped for retail sales, and my shop is on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

As Mark Twain once said, "New of my death is greatly exaggerated."
Thank your for your comment and I excuse myself for a very indiscrete question in an open forum! Its great to hear the positiv news about your health. I wish you all the best!!!

So the Getzen looks very interesting to me. Also the two Getzen at BBC look very fine and are in a price range that fits my bank account 😅
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:12 pm
Typically, I haven't loved the G-50, because of its short height ... The bell is just too close to my head. Not comfortable, and a weird feedback sensation compared to what I'm used to.

Interesting. I'm the opposite: love having the bell close to my head, and playing a tall bell axe (like a Miraphone) now feels pretty strange.
These users thanked the author UncleBeer for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:50 pm)
tylerferris1213

Post by tylerferris1213 »

I love these tubas! I've happily owned mine for almost ten years. It took me three years, but I ended up finding a York monster Eb to replace the factory bell with. It made a HUGE difference in the sound. I think I played two notes before the repair tech and I agreed that the factory bell would never go on it again haha. I also took my Getzen to Lee Stofer who worked his magic on it (re-bracing, re-tapering the leadpipe, etc). That made it even better. If I had to own one tuba, this would be it. I've used it in orchestra, brass quintets, solo work, concert bands, and everything in between.
These users thanked the author tylerferris1213 for the post:
Lee Stofer (Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:50 pm)
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Subcontrabass FF
Lee Stofer

Post by Lee Stofer »

I must admit, I have been away from TubaForum for way too long, and I've missed it! My apologies to
everyone. I have a couple of updates to this 2020 post now. I'm now cancer-free for 3+ years, and the Dr.
says I should be planning for living to 100 years of age - can't complain.

In 2021, I completed three of the Stofer CC's, mostly of Getzen parts. As some inner body branches have come
in short supply, I contacted Conn-Selmer and tried out two King 2341 branches, and found that they both fit
better than what Getzen had, so Stofer #008 and #009 were improved even a little more as I was able to eliminate
the Step-down ferrule in the bugle, with everything being a 100% fit.

In 2022, after two years of virtually zero summer school repairs coming in, the floodgates of summer school repairs
opened up in late May 2022 and I finished the last order and delivered it the first week of DECEMBER. . . So, I built
exactly zero custom tubas in 2022.

For 2023, I have a customer order for #0010, and I have plans to do #0011 and #0012 while I'm at it. To answer Bort and
others concerning a rotor version, I am acutely aware of how much time and expense it would take for me to actually
engineer a rotor version that you and I could be completely happy with. Since I now represent Josef Lidl brass instruments
for the US, and they offer the LCB 883-5I rotor CC (or the BBb version), it would not make economic sense to invest so much
to create something that already exists. I do not think that I could possibly build a better tuba than the Josef Lidl LCB 883-5I.
The first one I had in stock was here less than two weeks, probably because it is priced under $10,000.00 US.
I should have two more in stock sometime in March. I'll build piston tubas, being an American, and let the Czechs do what they
do best!
These users thanked the author Lee Stofer for the post (total 10):
York-aholic (Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:36 pm) • bort2.0 (Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:57 pm) • kingrob76 (Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:03 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:08 pm) • Worth (Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:39 am) and 5 more users
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

That is the best of news @Lee Stofer I’m very glad to hear your health update.

Jason (with whom you played musical chairs with a York Sousa valve cluster, with)
Last edited by York-aholic on Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson »

After years of "5th in the lead pipe" phobia, I finally took the plunge. Why not, I tried several other horns I thought would be the grail for me - including my last love - the 4/4 Nirschl - a very fine player. The G-50 has ended the search. You don't have to see the funny 5th when you're playing... you just notice how good it feels. I loved the first one so much that I bought another with a York bell. Can't decide which one I like better.

I would sell one now, but I still have not decided which one. Everyone likes the phrase "perfect do-all horn" well this is surely one of 'em!

Cons... doesn't have a lyre holder. At least the York hybrid has strap rings. Ha.
York G50 Hybrid l.jpg
York G50 Hybrid l.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Attachments
York G50 Hybrid Front .jpg
York G50 Hybrid Front .jpg (34.31 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
These users thanked the author Tim Jackson for the post:
Doc (Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:58 pm)
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

I can send you a genuine JW York & Sons lyre holder if you’d like.
:cheers:
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC