SOLD: For a friend of a friend 4-valve King BBb Symphony model 1241 & Sousaphone

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
scottw

SOLD: For a friend of a friend 4-valve King BBb Symphony model 1241 & Sousaphone

Post by scottw »

First off, I'm not sure if this is the place for this: if not, please feel free to move it, Mark?

I have been asked by a friend to help one of his other friends sell a tuba and a sousaphone. The owner is disabled and wants to move the horns as part of getting rid of stuff prior to selling his house. I went to look at the horns, took pictures and promised I would try to locate buyers for them if I could. I do not own them, as I don't intend to play either of them; my back is not up for big horns such as these!
What I need is for someone interested in them to contact me, make an offer and then I will see if that is acceptable to the owner. Does this make sense? I just love being the middleman!

The tuba is a fixed bell front 4-valve King BBb Symphony model 1241, from 1915-1925, silver with a gold wash bell, and in good condition despite being in a basement for a number of years and needing a good polishing and cleaning. Valves are fast and very smooth and it blows very freely, not at all stuffy. No case. The finish is really good [although tarnished], with only a few wear spots as may be expected. Few small dents.
The BBb sousaphone is actually gorgeous, bright and shiny silver despite being in the basement, in the original case [w/wheels] for the same amount of time as the tuba. It has the neck, bits, lyre, and mouthpiece. Almost no dents. The 3 valves are fast and smooth.
These were owned by him since 1995 and were certainly taken care of before him also--certainly not school horns!
Pictures can be found here: https://bear46.imgbb.com/
Scottw
Last edited by scottw on Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bearin' up!
Mene
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: For a friend of a friend 4-valve King BBb Symphony model 1241 & Sousaphone

Post by Mene »

Price?
scottw

Post by scottw »

That is the problem. The owner really has no idea of a price and I am trying to find one to set. I have gotten input from a tuba-playing tech guy, who estimates around $1300-1500 for the sousaphone and $800. for the tuba. Whether or not these are realistic nationally or just in this area [S. Jersey] I don't know. Plus, there is shipping if out of the area. Once I can estimate a fair price, then I can post it for sale. These are both somewhat of a specialty instrument, making it a bit harder.
Scottw
Bearin' up!
matt g

Post by matt g »

@scottw if these are in New Jersey, could you maybe get them up to Dillon Music? There are two scenarios:

1. The owner could get some money, but likely below market value (profits and risk assumed by the buyer) from Steve fairly quickly.

2. They could list these as consignment horns and consult with you both on a fair price for the market and Dillon’s has their share as the broker and listing agent (it’ll get advertised on a site that is looked at often).

I’d probably take it to Dillon Music as a consignment and list them both around $2500 each. The sousaphone maybe a little higher, the tuba maybe a little lower. It seems like the older style 1241/2341s sell pretty well from there in the $2000-$2500 range depending on condition.

Edited to add:

The other advantage of having Dillon Music list it is that they can handle shipping arrangements and can perform maintenance or dent removal on the horn as desired for the next owner.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
hrender

Post by hrender »

I agree, sell them through Dillon. You'll get more eyes on them, and Matt W. will know how they should be priced. A fixed recording bell may make the 1241 tough to sell even though those are great horns. You can do an eBay search on completed auctions to see how the sousaphone would sell there, but the 1241 is a special horn. It could sell at a good price, but it might take longer to find a buyer.
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

Honestly, I think your first numbers are closer to reality.

I really like both of those horns but I’m way out in California with no gigs/money. Oh, and too many horns, according to my wife.

Good luck.
dp

Post by dp »

Hi Scott, I sent you a private message about the King tuba, hope to hear back from you!
pfft (yes, that's for you)
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Re: SOLD: For a friend of a friend 4-valve King BBb Symphony model 1241 & Sousaphone

Post by greenbean »

PM sent...

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb