(offbeat) suggestion for covering "low C" on Zarathustra

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

(offbeat) suggestion for covering "low C" on Zarathustra

Post by bloke »

If playing Zarathustra in an orchestra (with no contrabassoon, nor organ, nor any basses with extensions, nor a 2nd tuba on board)...even if just the "Einleitung, oder Sonnenaufgang" (the part everyone recognizes) - and you're asked to supply the "low C"...
...If you have a compensating euphonium, consider supplying that pitch on that instrument - and with a smaller mouthpiece (such as 6-1/2, etc.)
It will be easier to play it as "not-loud" and with a "smaller" sound (more resembling a contrabassoon). Also, it should be easier to hold out that pitch for a longer length of time.

Switch to tuba during bar #14, and come in on tuba (the big subdominant chord) in bar #15.

Otherwise, (though it occurs to MD's to ask the tuba, because it is such a low pitch) consider handing it off to the bass trombonist, and graciously suggest using a cup mute.

matt g

Re: (offbeat) suggestion for covering "low C" on Zarathustra

Post by matt g »

With the older Mirafone fifth valve (two whole step), I could play that low C on my 188 really really quiet with all five valves employed (and slides pulled appropriately) and it had a little more “grumble” than open low C. The additional impedance/back pressure made for a good bit more economy of breath as well.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
grayax
Has thanked: 0

Post by grayax »

I play a BBb, so 1-2-3-4 and hope that I have it in tune.

At some point, I will add a 5th valve to mine, so that should help a bit.
groovlow

Post by groovlow »

How many DB ?
Get a couple of the bass players to double stop C and G on A and D string.
If they can get the touch and pitch the low C will sound.
Tuba for you. If you have to breathe take it :tuba:
Joe H
GC

Post by GC »

Talk a bass into downtuning to C.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone