I don't *need* this...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

I don't *need* this...

Post by bort2.0 »

Do you ever play your tuba and think things like "I don't *need* a tuba as nice as this," or "I could easily get by with less than this." I want it, but I don't need it.

Not talking about tuba sizes, or keys, brands (necessarily), or anything else... but just that basic sense of "what do I actually need" compared to "what am I using to do that?"

As an extreme example (sorry, cars again), having a new BMW 7 series, and driving it 5-10 miles per week for some minor errands. Sure, it's nice, it's comfortable, and you look cool with it... but... do you *need* it? And would you be just as happy with "less"? And use the $ saved to do other things in your life "more"?

I'm not necessarily there tuba-wise, but let's be real -- I'm not playing much, and I won't be playing much for the next many years, at least. My tuba is fantastically incredible. But it sits in a corner of my house. I could have a fantastically sufficient tuba for far less money, and use that money saved for other important things in my life. And with a fantastically sufficient tuba, I'd still derive the same amount of tuba- and music-related endorphins by playing it. So... why should I keep a tuba that's as nice as this, if it's not going to actually be used?

Not in a particular hurry here... but philosophically, having a "nice thing" and replacing it with a less expensive "nice thing"... kinda makes sense. I'm not emotionally attached to this tuba, no matter how much I like it!

TLDR, blah blah, crazy bort2.0 yakking about selling tubas again... :eyes:
Last edited by bort2.0 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mary Ann

Re: I don't need this...

Post by Mary Ann »

yes I'm there especially with my horn, which can play rings around me. But....if I sold it (unlikely right now that anyone would buy a horn that expensive) and got something "lesser" then the value tied up in that horn would be lost, and I think I would miss the pleasure of playing that particular one. It depends really on whether you actually need that money for something else, and would that something hold its value like the tuba? It's ok to have a few nice things that you don't really need, if they give you pleasure. I'm happy to drive an old car that isn't worth anything anymore anyway but still runs well, and keep the horn. I'm happy without fancy furniture or fancy dishes or fancy clothes, too, and prefer to have the very nice instruments I do have.
That said, I'm not sorry I sold the NStar because I knew I'd never be able to play it again because of its weight and my declining ability to lift that weight. Maybe sometime in the future something smaller and lighter.
bort2.0

Re: I don't need this...

Post by bort2.0 »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:40 pm It's ok to have a few nice things that you don't really need
Thanks -- this is something that I've always struggled with. I am the antithesis of being a "collector", so the extension of this is to start going through the other stuff that I already have.

I've done this before with tubas when I sold my PT-6. I liked that tuba a lot, and do wish that I still had it sometimes. But the thought then is the same as it is now... what is the point of having the best possible thing, and having little need for it? Conversely, I *do* spend appropriately/generously on the things that I *do* need and the things that I *do* use regularly, especially when they make life easier, more pleasant, etc. It's not even about the cash necessarily, or an urgent need for capital. But rather, it hurts my brain sometimes to think about having GREAT things that are never ever used. (Reminds me of -- my parents own a plot of land in western MD. They've owned it for 30 years, and have visited it maybe a handful of times. So... why...?)
Mary Ann

Re: I don't *need* this...

Post by Mary Ann »

In that case I'd try to anticipate how I'd feel if I sold it, which is what I did when I sold the NStar, which I dearly loved. When it felt right, I did, and the guy who got it about peed his pants he was so happy to get it. He was also a good player and I was happy to have it go to someone who was going to enjoy it that much. I actually was feeling a bit guilty that it was sitting there in the bedroom and got a few notes honked on it once a week. I don't feel guilty about either the horn or the violin that way, so they are staying with me. Both of them a quality to be in a top level orchestra, but they ain't leavin'.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

My wife's work buddy has a white BMW 740L he calls "the whale" :laugh:

Nice though. :thumbsup:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Brett,
I'd say give it a try.
Buy yourself some 'adequate' tuba (184, 186, 2341, VMI, whatever) that costs a lot less than your Alex; put your Alex AWAY, outta' sight, for 6 months or longer, and play that 'good enough' horn whenever you want to play. If you can live with out your Alex then sell it; if you can't, chances are that you can sell the used 'adequate' horn for near your purchase price, and you won't be out anything.
Bonus for the rest of us - we'd get to hear your anguish/success story.
Something to consider, eh?
Enjoy the struggle!
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I don’t want to have to deal with anything other than “the best”, because I am not a practice room horse.
Luckily for me, “the best” and “the most expensive” are not the same.
Hi will, however, refer you and others back to “the bloke rule”.
dp

Post by dp »

I dunno, what if I did sell off the Holton and the Yorks and the PTs B&S and Marzan?
I'd be afraid that if I got some thing "pretty good for the price", and played it for 6 months,
that I'd then put that horn down and say "I don't need this"
Last edited by dp on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
pfft (yes, that's for you)
matt g

Post by matt g »

I have two very nice tubas mainly sitting idle.

That’s okay with me for now. Buying them later will only cost me more.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

bloke wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:37 pm
That is a fabulous rule, if you're a play for pay guy. Many of us make very little - or less - in our churches and community bands. We probably need a custom designed rule.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
hrender

Post by hrender »

There are relatively few things a person "needs" (food, water, air, etc.). The rest are "likes to have". It's okay to indulge your likes so long as they don't negatively affect other, more important, parts of your life. If you tell your significant other you're not going to be able to fix the car that keeps breaking down because you want to buy a new tuba, then you may want to reconsider your priorities.

I'm glad I have the horns I have, even though I play both of them less than I want due to other commitments. That said, I bought my first a nice tuba for a very good price seven years before I even began playing regularly again, so I'm glad I bought it when I did.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:56 pm
bloke wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:37 pm
That is a fabulous rule, if you're a play for pay guy. Many of us make very little - or less - in our churches and community bands. We probably need a custom designed rule.
Tim
I currently have two instruments that are here as "to satisfy my curiosity" instruments, those two being traditional German instruments.
- kaiser orchester b tuba
- kaiser bariton
That special designation (TSMC) protects them (at least, for now) from "the rule".
That having been said, the bariton has been used on two or three gigs...
...oh yeah, and as " 'cause o' covid" can be used as an excuse for most any rule-breaking and mishandling of most anything", I'm going to also say " 'cause o' covid". :thumbsup:
Last edited by bloke on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jtm

Post by jtm »

My tuba is from the '60s, so it's pretty well depreciated. Besides, if I try Tim's suggestion, I end up thinking, "A good 184 might be just the thing. I should get one of those, too."

Probably best that the guy selling that lovely 180 never got back to me.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Maybe a franken rule for those of us who are amateurs needs to be an equation, a+b+c=d, where:
a = I want it
b = I can afford it
c = I have room for it (a real consideration for tubas and pianos, not so much for pocket knives)
d = I can buy it, or not

My Holton was purchased at such a low price that, yes - it has more than paid for itself. The recently acquired 103 was also so reasonably priced that a few dixie gigs should have it covered, once those get rolling again. Now I find myself with some interest in a completely different type of tuba, but space in my den/music room is now at a premium, so a purchase will have to wait until I address the space issue.

So, then, Brett, in your case, if a, b, and c are true than you needn't fret your d answer.

Maybe.

Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Thanks Tim, and everyone. Lots of good stuff here!

Equations... there's also the part where I need to get Mrs Bort on board with this. When I bought the Alex, she wasn't happy that I was yet again selling and buying a tuba, so I made a deal that I'd take a break from that for a good while.

But that was pre-Covid, so... :huh: :facepalm2:
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

There's also the idea of keeping a roster of instruments (er... One instrument, in my case)

I'm not playing much, so I don't need much.

Later, when I'm playing in a few groups and out there several times per week... Will have different needs. If that's not for 7 years (like for Hal), then why bother holding onto "stuff" for the sake of "stuff"?

Maybe even just pick up a hotrod F tuba (Cerveny Harmonia or Mira 180) and call it a day for a little while? Or, some kind of perfectly fine -- gasp -- BBb tuba?

So many options, when it's time for tuba as fun only, and no actual musical responsibility (<-- there's an oxymoron!)
Mark E. Chachich

Post by Mark E. Chachich »

My opinions:

You may currently not need a tuba this good. That said, in the future you may.

What is your definition of too good?

What is your definition of good enough?

I think that it is good to have an instrument that will not hold you back.

If you keep switching tubas you will not get used to playing one. Every tuba and string bass that I have tried has a learning curve.

I am not trying to convince you to keep the Alex, just to think about these things.
There is always the mythical great tuba over the horizon.

Best,
Mark
Life Member Baltimore Musician's Union Local 40-543
Life Member International Tuba Euphonium Association (ITEA)
Ph.D. Experimental Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience (a musician can do almost anything!)
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having nice "things" as long as they fit within your budget and or priorities. With that said, I am blessed with a great job, so I could afford to own a couple of really nice tubas if I so desired. However, I chose to prioritize other areas of my life over tubas. I own two tubas, one BBb, one EEb. They are not the best or great. However, they are "good enough" to serve my purposes and I still get a lot of enjoyment playing/performing on both of them :tuba:
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
djwpe

Post by djwpe »

bort2.0 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:24 pm There's also the idea of keeping a roster of instruments (er... One instrument, in my case)

I'm not playing much, so I don't need much.

Later, when I'm playing in a few groups and out there several times per week... Will have different needs. If that's not for 7 years (like for Hal), then why bother holding onto "stuff" for the sake of "stuff"?

Maybe even just pick up a hotrod F tuba (Cerveny Harmonia or Mira 180) and call it a day for a little while? Or, some kind of perfectly fine -- gasp -- BBb tuba?

So many options, when it's time for tuba as fun only, and no actual musical responsibility (<-- there's an oxymoron!)

Well, it took you 7 years to find this tuba. :eyes:

So if you need a tuba in 7 years, you should start looking now.

:slap:
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

^ Zing! :tuba: