Conn Monster Eb, Conn 25J, and Hawkes and Son Eb

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
doh2341
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Conn Monster Eb, Conn 25J, and Hawkes and Son Eb

Post by doh2341 »

Hi All,

I've got far too many horns and need to thin the herd some, so here's three(ish) up for sale.

Conn Monster Eb: Serial number seems to put this at 1926/27, and it's a factory 4 valve. Overall in great shape, all valves and slides move nicely, and the valves seem to have been replated at some point in the past. I have two more of these monsters, so at least one has to go, and this is the one that gets the least playing time (generally because it spends its life on loan to other people). Plays like a fairly typical monster Eb to me, and I've found the shallower the mouthpiece, the better everything is on the horn overall (current is a G&W Bora). I also typically use a sousaphone bit in the horn when I play, and can include one in the sale if wanted. Hard case is included, but is not in fantastic shape.

Conn 25J: This is the one that hurts me to sell. I played a Bb on it for fun years ago and bought it on the spot just because I loved that note so much. Unfortunately, back issues prevent me from playing this horn anymore, or I absolutely would not sell it. It's got that great big Conn sound these horns always have, along with the typical intonation quirks. I've never found them unmanageable or distracting, but your mileage may vary. I'll include a bit in the sale of this one. Overall the horn is in good shape, but the bell is probably the star here.

Hawkes and Son Eb: I don't know a whole lot about this one. When I bought it, the amount of dirt I cleaned out makes me suspect it must have spent time underground, nothing else explains it. 3+1, but I've never encountered another horn in this configuration before. It does need a small shank mouthpiece, I've enjoyed playing it with either a Wick 2 or a Schilke 67 depending on my mood. In all honesty, despite being the most worn out of the three horns I'm selling, this one's probably the best player. Funnily enough, it's also spent much of my ownership out on loan to other people, and having played next to it on quite a few concerts, it makes a killer horn for the top split, but keeps up fine in the lower register. Also a really nice solo horn, it's got a much sweeter sound than I'm used to out of Eb's.

I've performed on all three of these horns and listened to both the Eb's be performed on as well, so I know they do just fine in a performance setting. That said, if you want a point and shoot horn, these are not the horns for you. All three take some effort to play in tune, but a lot of that can be mitigated with mouthpiece choice. My personal philosophy has always been to play horns whose sound I love and worry about the rest as secondary concerns, but I know that is backwards from many (perhaps most) people. I don't want to give the impression that any of these three are a pain to play, but I don't want to give anyone false expectations, and I'd rather they exceed too low of expectations than fail to meet higher ones.

I don't have a great idea of what any of these horns is worth, so I'm going to start at $2000 each. Please feel free to tell me I'm insane and make a counter offer. I'm willing to ship at the buyer's expense via whatever method is preferred. I'm also willing to drive a fair distance (8 hours is no issue at all, I'm probably willing to go up to 15 hours away at least) to avoid shipping whether it be all the way or to meet partway. Horns are located in El Paso, TX. You can pm me or email me at 1gnevdan@gmail.com, whichever you'd prefer.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

No real pictures at this time, but I also have a top action Conn Monster Eb (also 4 valve) that I could be convinced to part with (it's back to back with the other monster in the first picture). This one definitely shows its age (and evidence of a hard life), but I still play it on a more or less daily basis. Valves are fairly worn, but keep them oiled and things are fine.
Last edited by doh2341 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt g

Re: Conn Monster Eb, Conn 25J, and Hawkes and Son Eb

Post by matt g »

The Hawkes & Son is a calvary version of the Eb. Quite cool!
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Bob Kolada

Post by Bob Kolada »

Cool horns!
doh2341

Post by doh2341 »

Thanks! All are still available too :teeth:
doh2341

Post by doh2341 »

First, an apology. My work has been INSANE and I haven't logged in here in almost two months. To those of you who have pm'd me, emailed me, etc., my sincere apologies for not replying to your inquiries sooner. I will be catching up on everything I've missed today.

Second, email is more reliable than pm's for getting in touch with me (as unreliable as I am about responding to people). The horns are still for sale, and I'm going to be better about logging in and checking things. Apologies again to anyone I haven't responded to.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I sent you an email about the 25J.

How much for the bell?

doh2341

Post by doh2341 »

Just replied! (I think) I'm not willing to separate the bell from the body of the horn at this point, but I'll update the thread if anything changes. How about some greasy car parts instead?
b.williams

Post by b.williams »

PM Sent.
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
doh2341

Post by doh2341 »

Well, it's been a while, time for a bump! Lower prices, made some edits, standard fare. Seriously, feel free to make an offer on any of the stuff I have listed, I need the space :teeth: