Recommendation for a Suitable Electronic Tuner for Tuba?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Renbo
Has thanked: 0

Recommendation for a Suitable Electronic Tuner for Tuba?

Post by Renbo »

And I have another question for the seasoned tuba veterans out there! It seems electronic tuners are affordable and out in the world now. But, as with many things, most seem to be geared towards guitar and such. I was wondering if anyone had any experiencing using any particular electronic tuner to check overall instrument pitch as well as tune in valves?

Wessex "Luzern" 5/4 BBb Rotary 5-valve
BopEuph

Re: Recommendation for a Suitable Electronic Tuner for Tuba?

Post by BopEuph »

Many of my students use a Snark on their lead pipe, but I don't know if it's just bad for my horns or an excuse to see if I finally need glasses, as that position is way too close for me on my 12J (I don't think I've tried it on the Kanstul).

I still use a free tuner app on my Android (Gstrings) but mostly practice a ton with drones.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
sdloveless

Post by sdloveless »

Korg CA-2. Has a built in mic and a 1/4 jack. A can be set to whatever frequency you need. The screen is easy to read. Fits in your shirt pocket. 10 worthless Americanos from just about any Internet retailer.
Scott Loveless
Pennsylvania, USA
1939 King 1240, JP179B
"When life knocks you down, stay there and take a nap."
jtm

Post by jtm »

I've been happy with the Tonal Energy app on my phone or tablet. As far as I can tell, it handles the low tuba notes fine. I supports various tuning schemes, lets you detune it if needed, plays reference tones, and a host of other features I haven't bothered to learn about. It works fine with an external mic, too.

That said, I'm definitely an amateur, and I have the luxury of not needing a tuner that works separately from the phone (although an old phone that I don't use any more would be fine as a tuner).
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Renbo
Has thanked: 0

Phone Apps

Post by Renbo »

Doh!

How I completely overlooked phone apps as toners is beyond me! I'll give those recommended a try. Thanks again all!
Wessex "Luzern" 5/4 BBb Rotary 5-valve
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Most any cheap tuner will pick up most all the notes written on pages at gigs.

If a tuner or mic is too cheap to pick up really low pitches, it’s a safe bet that I’m playing them sharp anyway, so I don’t need a tuner to tell me that. 🤣