Wanting input on Stofer "Air Corps" Geib & Dillon G5 Turner Geib

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
barry grrr-ero
Has thanked: 0

Wanting input on Stofer "Air Corps" Geib & Dillon G5 Turner Geib

Post by barry grrr-ero »

Hi. I'd like to get input and comparisons on the Stofer "Air Corps" Geib and Dillon's G5 Turner Geib. I currently own the standard Stofer Geib (Euroshank), which works well with the smaller pipe on my B&S Neptune. Mr. Stofer has recommended his "Air Corps" to me, but I'll also curious about the Dillon/Turner one.

If there are other interesting Geib variants I should know about, I'm all eyes.

Barry Guerrero

bort2.0

Re: Wanting input on Stofer "Air Corps" Geib & Dillon G5 Turner Geib

Post by bort2.0 »

I've had a few Geib mouthpieces from James R New, and they are really great and well-made mouthpieces. I custom-ordered one with an 8.4mm backbore, and particularly liked that one (probably a similar concept as the Air Corps).
hrender

Post by hrender »

Of the few Geib variants I've tried, I most liked the Hammond 30L. I've noticed Hammond now sells a 30L/50 that is supposed to be more like the original Geib, but I haven't tried it.
barry grrr-ero
Has thanked: 0

Post by barry grrr-ero »

I thank you both.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

There also the Lubemaster Super G. @Billy M. can tell you all you need to know about it, it was his design. :tuba:
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

I also play a Hammond 30L often. It is my #2 mpc. Really plays well.

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
cjk

Post by cjk »

I've never tried the "Air Corps" version of the Stofer Geib. I wouldn't mind trying it. If I had one, I'd measure it.

The original has a 7.9mm throat which some folks will think is efficient and others will find to be too small or constrictive.

I assume the "Air Corps" version has a larger throat and backbore. How much bigger would be the question. I'd guess that it's probably around 8.2 mm. It seems like the next reasonable and logical step up. 8.2mm is about the size of the hole an a Conn 120s Helleberg/SHII/Laskey 30H. That'd be bigger, but still reasonable.

My post is conjecture. I could be wrong.
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Post by greenbean »

Barry, you should borrow my Hammond 30L.

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

For a while, I owned THE original Conn Geib that Lee copied to make his Stofer Geib.

It had the most gorgeous tone of any mouthpiece I've tried. Just an amazing and sweet beautiful sound. Outstanding in every way.

Up to MF. And then it backed up big-time. F was difficult, FF was impossible, and FFF was just a joke. Even with relaxed air and all that... It just didn't work out. An old mouthpiece designed for old tuba design.

Oddly enough, Lee says his original Geib is a copy of the Conn. I did an A/B test directly with the Conn and the Stofer, and had none of the problems with the Stofer (and it also lacked all of the sweetness). The original Stofer Geib was still quite nice... But it lacked that 100 year old panache.

The James R New Geib is a winner. And the larger throat version also a winner. But nothing unseated the Thein RCC for me, so I've stopped looking. Not because the RCC is outrageously unique or special or... Its just because I got used to it, and that's what I stuck with.

Of anything, that's my best mouthpiece advice. Pick one and stick with it. Problems? It's not the mouthpiece.