Microphone options

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
BopEuph

Microphone options

Post by BopEuph »

I just had a friend mod an MXL 990 into something amazing (made to emulate a Neumann u87) for the upright, and it sounds amazing.

Has anyone used large diaphragm condensers on tuba? Any experience using something like this as opposed to the SM57? I assume if it works, it needs much, much more space to breathe than a dynamic microphone.

Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
iiipopes

Re: Microphone options

Post by iiipopes »

I have always heard that a condenser microphone with a good SPL rating and flat response curve, on axis above and a little bit from the edge of the bell so as to not get in the way of the terminal node or cause the "proximity effect" causing artificial low end emphasis, was the best for tuba. Please correct me, and indicate makes & models.
These users thanked the author iiipopes for the post:
BopEuph (Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 pm)
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Cool, I'll have to try this!

I just wasn't sure if LDC's are overly sensitive to large volume sources.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I have a pair of pricey mic's for recording, but a good consumer grade "kick" mic for amplification.

I'm not going to risk damaging mic's of that quality for $100 - $200.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
BopEuph (Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:46 pm)
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Good point. The Shure mics definitely sound great for recording, but I like the idea of keeping them around for live gigs and leave the "good" mics for the studio.

As an aside, the MXL 990 mod is so good, I'm going to be handing this guy a broken MXL 991 for a similar upgrade, so I have a good LDC/SDC pair. I love Rufus Reid's sound, and the way he does it is place an LDC about 2 feet in front of the bridge, and an SDC pointed at the right hand for more of the mid/high range.

I am also looking forward to hearing my acoustic bass guitar with nylon strings amplified rather than the bland piezo pickup that doesn't grab the color of the strings. But if this setup works great for tuba, too, then I'll be really happy.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
oscarcahue
Has thanked: 0

Post by oscarcahue »

If you're talking live performance, a dynamic would probably better suited.
SM57, Audix D4, or my preferred Shure Beta 98 H/C (Which is a condenser)

For studio, I've used Large Diaphram AKG C414 XLII but it simply does not capture the deep low end.
So I usually record using a blend of both that, and my in bell dynamic mic listed above.
These users thanked the author oscarcahue for the post:
BopEuph (Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:26 pm)
rollo

Post by rollo »

I mean, if a Large Diaphragm Condenser is good enough for Baadsvik, it must be good enough for us regular folks, right??

I use an sE X1A Large Diaphragm Condenser mic and I am always pleased with the results. My space isn't the best (small), so I usually mic my horn pretty close with a 10dB pad flipped on. I bought it to improve my virtual submissions, so I haven't really tried it in any live situations, YMMV.