king 2280

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
LeMark
Site Admin

king 2280

Post by LeMark »

So today I returned from teaching "in person" lessons, and it was time to start a virtual lesson from the house, and as I sat down at my computer I realized my packer Euphonium was in my car truck in the Garage. Oh well, I saw my king 2280 leaning against the wall and grabbed that and a large shank MP. By some miracle, the valves still worked, even though I probably haven't touched that horn in 18 months.

I played a little on it with my student, and damn, I forgot how good it is. The valves are short action and very light. The intonation is darn near perfect, and with the 5th valve I put on it, I have a full chromatic scale all the way down as far as I would ever need to go. It's open and free blowing in all ranges.

Here's the deal. It's not a british Euph tone. It will never sound like besson, an adams, or anything like that. If that's what you need, this ain't it. It's its own unique tone, and I'm sure that's what has caused it to be a forgotten model. Tubas all have different characteristics, and that's ok, but we are all programmed to reject any euphonium that doesn't sound like every other one.

With 4 valves in the right hand, you could think of it more like a doublers instrument, as no self respecting "REAL" euphonium player would be caught dead playing it.

I don't plan on selling my excelent packer 274, and I'm damn sure not going to sell this one, but it's nice to have around. I might start using the king as my teaching horn, and still use the packer for ensemble playing, when section blend matters more.
Attachments
DSC_0595 (Medium) (Small).JPG
DSC_0595 (Medium) (Small).JPG (117.42 KiB) Viewed 708 times
DSC_0589 (Small).JPG
DSC_0589 (Small).JPG (127.58 KiB) Viewed 708 times
DSC_0590 (Small).JPG
DSC_0590 (Small).JPG (125.75 KiB) Viewed 708 times
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 2):
Casca Grossa (Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:41 pm) • bone-a-phone (Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:58 am)

Yep, I'm Mark
LibraryMark

Re: king 2280

Post by LibraryMark »

Who put hat 5th valve on it for you? I've got three 2280's and I agree - they are great horns.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I did it myself. I used the 4th valve and tubing off of a miraphone euphonium
Yep, I'm Mark
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

Where's the trigger, I'm not seeing it.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

My thumb of my left hand is so close to that valve I just put that post on it to move the valve directly. No linkage needed, but I did have to put on a pull back spring
Yep, I'm Mark
grayax
Has thanked: 0

Post by grayax »

I play mine like a bass tuba half the time, so I just pull the 4th valve slides and have fun (I even used it as a contrabass in a parade once when out tuba player didn'tshow up). I definitely think it is an underrated horn, but I also see why it's not as well liked.
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

I like them and would love to see a front piston valve version (.590ish?). iirc, they're setup to pull the 4th slide out and use a 3rd kicker in the low range, not unlike those little Conn contrabasses.

I picked up a used Selman comp euph several years ago. It took me a while but one day using a 'tweener' mouth piece (a JK KBP 2C) just popped for me. I want to try a 3 series on my Eb valved thing someday; the 2C is a great large mp for euph and bass trombone. I also have a 2A that is too much for the Bb horns and doesn't quite fit my bobhorn.
These users thanked the author Bob Kolada for the post:
bone-a-phone (Mon May 17, 2021 3:47 pm)