American F tuba/Fake f tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Casca Grossa

American F tuba/Fake f tuba

Post by Casca Grossa »

Whatever you want to call it, I am now the proud owner of a genuine Mirafone 184 CC, once owned by Dana Hofer. It has the old style 5th valve (bonus). I am one happy camper. It is tons of fun to play. I've had it for a few days now. My chops are horribly out of shape but I am really enjoying playing it. I haven't decided on a mouthpiece yet. I like both the Blokepiece Imperial and Solo #1. Both give me slightly different results and I haven't settled on one or the other yet. I need to get back in shape before I make a mouthpiece decision. I also have to give a special thanks to Mr. Hofer for taking the time to give me some history on the horn. I have practiced more in the last 5 days than I have in the last 5 months. Life is good.
These users thanked the author Casca Grossa for the post (total 2):
the elephant (Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:03 pm) • bloke (Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:49 pm)

Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
Mary Ann

Re: American F tuba/Fake f tuba

Post by Mary Ann »

I had one of those, with the 2+3 5th valve, vented valves. It was really a nice tuba. Perfect for quintet.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
Casca Grossa (Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 pm)
groovlow

Post by groovlow »

I love my 184, built in 1970 :teeth:
When I need to tone down it's amazing singing voice I use a Kelly Helleberg for easy blend.
:tuba:
:cheers: Joe H
These users thanked the author groovlow for the post:
Casca Grossa (Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:46 pm)
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

How's the high range? :teeth:
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:43 pm I had one of those, with the 2+3 5th valve, vented valves. It was really a nice tuba. Perfect for quintet.
Unless you are Roger Bobo. Then it's perfect for a major US orchestra. :tuba:
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

My only horn for 30 or so years was a 184. Still have it, still love it. It will likely be the last horn I ever get rid of.
These users thanked the author Stryk for the post:
Casca Grossa (Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:47 pm)
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

LargeTuba wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 am How's the high range? :teeth:
Once I start practicing more, the high range will be great. :tuba:
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Blokepiece Solo
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:18 am
Mary Ann wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:43 pm I had one of those, with the 2+3 5th valve, vented valves. It was really a nice tuba. Perfect for quintet.
After hearing Uncle Beer play Pictures on a French C tuba, I don't think the size of a horn matters for orchestral playing. I can get plenty of sound out of this thing.
These users thanked the author Casca Grossa for the post:
Alex C (Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:33 am)
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Blokepiece Solo
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I played "The Planets" with a 184, back around 1980.
The low D# was tremendous !

I played the Verdi Requiem with that instrument the same year...GREAT "G's".

The year before, I played the entire "Love Of Three Oranges" opera...(low D's, etc...)
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Casca Grossa (Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:37 am)
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

bloke wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 am I played "The Planets" with a 184, back around 1980.
The low D# was tremendous !

I played the Verdi Requiem with that instrument the same year...GREAT "G's".

The year before, I played the entire "Love Of Three Oranges" opera...(low D's, etc...)
This horn has a great bottom end. Honestly, it puts out a lot more power than I thought it could for such a small horn. I have been a big Marafone/phone fan for years. I have owned a 188, 186, and 185 over the years. I have test played 184's in the past but I am happy to own one now. This is definitely a do it all horn. I believe this will be the last horn I ever buy.
These users thanked the author Casca Grossa for the post:
bloke (Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:12 pm)
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Blokepiece Solo
Alex C

Post by Alex C »

If you want to play a 184, go ahead and play it but it's not the sound I like to hear from an orchestral tuba. Is that the sound you want?

A friend of mine asked me to listen to him play his 184 in a professional orchestra in a major city. He was a fine player but the 184 is simply not a great orchestral instrument. My friend was playing Bruckner 8th with other professional players around him, he was all but sonically invisible. Is upper register sound fit right in with the trombones. His low register did not fit with anything.

I think the advisability of playing a 184 in an orchestra is reflected in the number of major orchestras which have a tubist playing that instrument. In about 50 years as a performing musician I think Bobo is the only tubist to have regularly played it in an orchestra. The 184 is rare even in European orchestras, so when you recommend it to a student be sure and cite instances of tubists playing with that equipment so they can judge the resulting sound for themselves.
jtm

Post by jtm »

If you want to play a 184, go ahead and play it but it's not the sound I like to hear from an orchestral tuba. ...
Somehow, as a player unlikely to ever be in a serious orchestra, this just makes me want a 184 even more.
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
Casca Grossa (Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:55 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

Alex C wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:44 am If you want to play a 184, go ahead and play it but it's not the sound I like to hear from an orchestral tuba. Is that the sound you want?

A friend of mine asked me to listen to him play his 184 in a professional orchestra in a major city. He was a fine player but the 184 is simply not a great orchestral instrument. My friend was playing Bruckner 8th with other professional players around him, he was all but sonically invisible. Is upper register sound fit right in with the trombones. His low register did not fit with anything.

I think the advisability of playing a 184 in an orchestra is reflected in the number of major orchestras which have a tubist playing that instrument. In about 50 years as a performing musician I think Bobo is the only tubist to have regularly played it in an orchestra. The 184 is rare even in European orchestras, so when you recommend it to a student be sure and cite instances of tubists playing with that equipment so they can judge the resulting sound for themselves.
I spent several years of my life making a living as a "fessional" player. A gig with pay and benefits, etc. That part of my life ended almost two decades ago. I was actually fairly young when I packed it in. I have no desire to play in an orchestra or take on students. If someone wants to play a 184 in orchestra, more power to them. There are quite a few players across the pond that use an Eb as their main orchestral horn and they sound fantastic. If the conductor and the rest of the musicians are good with it, I don't really care if they play 6/4, 5/4, 4/4, 3/4, 3.1415926535 sized BBb, CC, Eb, or F as their main horn. To my ears, I have enjoyed hearing players on a Miraphone 186 or 188 more than the sound produced on a 6/4 lap sousaphone in an orchestral setting. The Mirafones are usually much easier to play in tune, blend well with both the trombone and bass sections, and I love the sound they make. One of my former teachers, who is a member of a major US orchestra, plays on one of those popular 6/4 model foghorns. Don't get me wrong, he sounds fantastic on it, but it's exhausting watching the slide gymanastics he has to pull off when I watch some of his YouTube videos.

Casca "who is more than content being a practice room virtuoso, making very clean and articulate fart noises with a smaller, tuba shaped object, that is less likely to give him back issues as he rapidly approach the half century mark, and requires little to no slide pulling" Grossa :tuba:
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Blokepiece Solo
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:18 am
I actually was told, and have NO idea if it was true, that my tuba was once owned and played by Torchinsky (if I spelled his name right.)