SoCal - instrument repair and servicing?

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
kingrob76

SoCal - instrument repair and servicing?

Post by kingrob76 »

Doing my due diligence here...

Can anyone recommend a shop in Southern California, preferably the south side of L.A. or the San Diego area, for cleaning and repairs of a tuba? Trustworthiness and quality of work are the key factors for me here - by trustworthiness, I mean someone who will be honest about the work needed and not needed on an instrument as I will not be there to "see for myself". I personally know several people and shops I would let work instruments sight unseen but I know nothing about that part of the country. However, I suspect there are people here who know people like that - and that's what I'm hoping to find.

Thanks!

Rob. Just Rob.
KingTuba1241X

Re: SoCal - instrument repair and servicing?

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Couple mentions who've done decent and/or efficient work for me in the past with fairly good turn around times:

Juan Salazar Repair @ Sawday Horns in Long Beach (He works independently in Don's shop. Does fantastic dent repairs/Ultrasonic cleaning no custom work)

Bertrand's Music in Mission Viejo,Ca. (My old tech there moved to N.C. but surely they can still help you)

Corey @ Sam Ash music in Westminster, Ca (woodwind player but she does "most" stuff on brass (call ahead to approve, basic and good repairs)
These users thanked the author KingTuba1241X for the post:
kingrob76 (Tue May 04, 2021 11:04 am)
06' Miraphone 187-4U
cbz
Has thanked: 0

Post by cbz »

In San Diego you can contact Jim Reeves at the Windsmith. I've had Jim work on my horns in the past and I've been happy with the results.

Arul
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

cbz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm In San Diego you can contact Jim Reeves at the Windsmith. I've had Jim work on my horns in the past and I've been happy with the results.

Arul
possibly, a son of Bob...??
cbz
Has thanked: 0

Post by cbz »

bloke wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:47 pm
cbz wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm In San Diego you can contact Jim Reeves at the Windsmith. I've had Jim work on my horns in the past and I've been happy with the results.

Arul
possibly, a son of Bob...??
Jim is from Canada so I'm guessing probably not.
frailingtuba

Post by frailingtuba »

Brad Close, http://www.brassmedic.com/, does great works as well. He shares a shop with Noah Gladstone's The Brass Ark.