Leather wrap on a tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
EthanMGeary

Leather wrap on a tuba

Post by EthanMGeary »

Does anybody know anywhere that sell leather tuba wraps, or is it a DIY thing.

Thanks
-Ethan

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Leather wrap on a tuba

Post by bloke »

I don’t feel like typing a bunch of blah blah blah, but if you call me, I’ll tell you how to make one… and then I will tell you why I don’t think you should…but I WILL tell you how to make one - and make it well.
EthanMGeary wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:23 pm Does anybody know anywhere that sell leather tuba wraps, or is it a DIY thing.

Thanks
-Ethan
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I think I remember the steps
Make a paper maché template of the spot you want to wrap
Use the template to cut a piece of leather
glue an old t-shirt to the back of the leather (Leather will damage the brass)
Use leather string to tie it together.

When I did it, I just skipped the template parts.

Good luck!
Last edited by LargeTuba on Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Measure the circumference of the widest and smallest parts of the tuba that you wish to cover and then cut a pattern out of leather with those measurements, adding if course how tall you want it to be.

If you are worried about how the leather will react with the tuba, glue a old black t-shirt to the back of the leather, cut to fit or course.

I used to use string and eyelets to complete the wrap, but now I just make it one inch too big, and use velcro strips to connect and secure everything
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 3):
MN_TimTuba (Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:23 pm) • davidgilbreath (Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:31 am) • EthanMGeary (Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:21 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

1. It is a DIY thing.

2. Don't do it.

3. Unless you have raw brass and don't want green all over you.

I wear long sleeves when I play or keep a microfiber towel over my arm.

:tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I think a rotary tuba looks naked without them. I've been making them for 30 years
Attachments
FB_IMG_1430417004884-1.jpg
FB_IMG_1430417004884-1.jpg (59.68 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
7985_10151605571346584_1608009381_n.jpg
7985_10151605571346584_1608009381_n.jpg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
Estubist (Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:38 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mark's method works with stretchier/thinner leather, but there's another method (neither tricky nor involving any math) that allows for the curature of the instrument (supplying you with a pattern with both an arced top line and an arced bottom line). Using this method eliminates possibilities of wrinkles.

Actually, this method (suggested to my by my Mom - a commercial artist) just involves strips of paper, scotch tape, and scissors.

I'm not typing it out, but the person is calling me in an hour or so.

Decades ago, I put these on my tubas, but I'm not a fan of them now - neither leather nor faux leather nor cloth.
Last edited by bloke on Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
EthanMGeary (Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:19 pm)
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

bloke wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:46 am Decades ago, I put these on my tubas, but I'm not a fan of them now - neither leather nor faux leather nor cloth.
But what about this faux leopard fur? :cheers:

Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

^^^

Pimp My Miraphone?? :smilie2:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
York-aholic (Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:58 am)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I've got one on my tuba right now. I bought it from someone on Tubenet who briefly was making them to-order. That was probably 10 years ago.

I like it, but will be honest, I probably use it more to keep that vulnerable part of the tuba looking nice and new... for future sale of the instrument. People like shiny, so I like to preserve shiny. I also like to preserve the finish, to prevent raw brass from emerging and becoming an issue in the first place. I rarely keep a tuba long enough to make it a problem, so ... Zing! :eyes:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
York-aholic (Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:58 am)
royjohn
Has thanked: 0

Post by royjohn »

So, bloke (or whoever)...what is the problem with these...I'm guessing that moisture or something gets under the sleeve and deteriorates the lacquer that you are trying to protect...is that it? Cure worse than the disease, so to speak? :huh: :huh: :huh:
These users thanked the author royjohn for the post:
Three Valves (Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:29 am)
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

From the "I Was A Dork" files:

in the mid-80's in college I wrapped an elastic Ace bandage around the bell in the area of the thumb ring because a) I liked the feel of some fabric there; b) it was easily removable / washable / replaceable; c) it allowed me to present some "artistic eccentricity"; and d) instant conversation starter. With these now available in black I don't know if the last two boxes would get checked, but the first two get handled pretty easy.
Rob. Just Rob.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

royjohn wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:08 am So, bloke (or whoever)...what is the problem with these...I'm guessing that moisture or something gets under the sleeve and deteriorates the lacquer that you are trying to protect...is that it? Cure worse than the disease, so to speak? :huh: :huh: :huh:
Yes.
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bloke (Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:44 am)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
EthanMGeary

Post by EthanMGeary »

After talking to bloke I think I have my plan. I’ve got a leather couch cover with a felt back that I think would be perfect for this project. The felt should stop any scratching and soak up any moisture that does become trapped. Thanks to everyone for their advice on this subject.
These users thanked the author EthanMGeary for the post:
bloke (Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:57 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

WERE it that was rough on the finish on the front of a tuba - in the area below the thumb ring, I would simply wear a nice comfortable long sleeve shirt, when playing my tubas - a shirt that “breathes“ nicely - regardless of the time of year.
I am aware that some community bands and jazz combos have short sleeve golf shirts as uniforms. In such a case, I would probably cut the right sleeve off of an old worn black dress shirt (or worn black sweatshirt) and put that sleeve over my forearm when playing the instrument.
If I didn’t want to ruin a black dress or sweat shirt of my own, I would find such a shirt at a thrift store (for two dollars, etc.), and cut that shirt. Actually, once cut, probably both sleeves would fit just as well over the right forearm.

Every time I have removed a protective whatchamacallit from a tuba bell (after several years), the finish - or bare metal - looked worse underneath it than did the area around it.

If a leather-look is desired, I'd probably pick out a really high-grade of FAKE leather:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanning_(leather)
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Three Valves (Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:48 pm)
Snake Charmer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Snake Charmer »

Some observations to this topic:
I have leather wraps on all my regular played instruments. For two different reasons:
- more comfortable feel and better grip and
- protection of the metal in the hand region.
Hand sweat is really aggressive and can bring some serious damage to raw brass, nickel and silver plating. With raw brass it is easy to wipe it off after playing, but plating will be wiped away over the years as well :huh: . With a good laquer there will be no problem or at least it will take some decades to wear off.
But I regard my horns more as tools as artpieces, so comfortable playing matters more than pure catalogue look. Personally I don't like smelling hands after playing and most times I don't like wearing long sleeves. But I like the casual optics of well worn leather :hearteyes:
The leather can protect your horn: When I sold my Besson 981 I removed after 20 years the leather wraps (made of overlength leg cut-offs of my motorbike pants, nice thick soft leather!) the silver plating was shiny like new. There was a slight stain line at the edges from polishing the uncovered parts over the years, but that came off easy with a pre-sale allover polish.
And I just had a curious look und the ophicleide wraps (thick furniture leather for six years): the raw brass has a bit darkened but would be easy to polish.
:tuba: ...with a song in my heart!
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Like Bloke, I've seen damage underneath leather guards when removing them. I've been told it's caused by the tannic acid used when curing leather. I wouldn't use real leather when making a guard, even with a cloth backing.
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Sat May 07, 2022 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donn

Post by donn »

UncleBeer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:55 am I've been told it's caused by the tannic acid used when curing leather.
90% of leather is chrome tanned - which is supposed to be more corrosive than vegetable (tannic acid) tanned. If you want to know which kind you have, it may be possible to tell them apart by burning some, but unless it's some kind of artisan stuff I suppose it's probably chrome tanned. Then they do all kinds of stuff to dye it and waterproof it and so forth, so who knows what's leaking out. I'm tanning my squirrel hides with ammonia and wood alcohol, and by the time I get enough of them, who knows, maybe I'll have a rotary valve tuba.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
bloke (Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:15 pm)