Jupiter JTU1110 (formerly 582) - Thoughts?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
iiipopes

Jupiter JTU1110 (formerly 582) - Thoughts?

Post by iiipopes »

I see where the Jupiter JTU1110, formerly the 582 BBb has now been endorsed and improved by Pat Sheridan. Of course, the sound clips are dreadful so you can't get a true rendering of how the tuba sounds.

Years ago, I considered a 582 when getting a tuba. I tried one out at the band room of a nearby high school where a friend of mine was director. He let me sit in rehearsal so I could run it through its paces. At the time, it seemed to have a thin tone, and it was an older one before the stainless steel valves, so they were not in the best of shape. So I didn't have the best tryout, and got the Besson I used to own, and later the 186 which became the Bessophone (among other souzys which came and went along the way).

Fast-forward to now: Of course, one has to read through the marketing, but Pat Sheridan has a 6-minute video that he goes through the "improvements" that have been made to the tuba. The problem is, I don't really see any structural differences between the new tuba and the old one, and what I can gather with a good pair of earphones, there is still a tad lacking in the foundation of the tone.

But oh, boy! It has everything I have wished for in a concert band tuba for years, so if the tone is good, I'm considering one, since I have an offer where I can get a 24-month no-interest financing on a discounted price for one.

Anybody have any experiences with the "new and improved" JTU1110? Thanks.

Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
KingTuba1241X

Re: Jupiter JTU1110 (formerly 582) - Thoughts?

Post by KingTuba1241X »

I had an older model come through the stable a couple years ago (silver one I found at a pawn shop for cheap and in very good condition). I think the main difference between those and the newer 1110 models was the 2nd valve slide angle that was changed out to not let water accumulate and for easier dumping. There might be other minor things like the valves as you mentioned but they are likely too similar to notice any differences. The one thing I really liked about the horn was the pedal register, wow. Super free blowing and easy to center down there. The rest of the horn and slots were marginal IMO and not all that impressive. Ergonomically they are great, try either new or older model and you might like it. Won't play as good as your Bessophone probably.
06' Miraphone 187-4U
pittbassdaddy
Has thanked: 0

Post by pittbassdaddy »

The one I tried a few years ago (2018?) played like a piston version of a 186 Miraclone with a more dull sound.

Would work well enough for most amateurs looking for a decent 4/4 piston BBb.

Personally I think a king 2341 or similar would be a better option, but I like pancakes more than chimneys.
These users thanked the author pittbassdaddy for the post:
Three Valves (Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:07 pm)
DandyZ629

Post by DandyZ629 »

I didn't find it fascinating, but I threw an LM-12 on it for fun...it became comical at that point. :teeth:
Kalison DS CC
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Why would anyone consider that, when there are nice used Miraphones and Kings?
...You have one, yes...??

If someone has six grand in their pocket - and is seeking shiny-new, I’ve got some really nice (nicely BUILT) JP things - which are a cut above - and which all cost a good bit less than $6000.

…oh yeah: and I’d be glad to “endorse“ them.🤠
matt g

Post by matt g »

Those Jupiter horns look cool.

I think that’s about it.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your thoughts. I agree I better keep dancing with the girl I bring to the dance.

Cheers! :cheers: :tuba:
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic