bass trombone-size B♭ rotary-valves "cimbasso"

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

bass trombone-size B♭ rotary-valves "cimbasso"

Post by bloke »

There has been some talk of the possibility of these, which has budded from various threads.

I actually did some research as to parts cost (from Europe...not from Jimbo, and not as a "mass manufactured hastily-assembled Jimbo 'shiny-thing-to-sell' ", etc.), and have determined that - for it to be worth my while to build one for someone else, I would probably charge $9K - $10K (clean brass, no lacquer or silver, no case, local pick-up).

I'd probably need about $4K in advance, and there could be no complaints about "response/intonation", as the project would be completely experimental.

Of course, I would do my best work, and would base/engineer "how well it would physically fit on to a person" to "how well it fits me" (a c. 6' tall person). Likely, it would feature one or two adjustable pegs - designed to rest on a player's chair seat...(??)

It would feature a 4+2 configuration (as with a classic F tuba) for some possibility of dialing in intonation, and (OK...getting real, here) as bass trombone intonation is considerably more easy for laymen's ears to critique than typical "fluffy"-sounding tuba resonance, it would include at least one thumb-operated slide trigger.

There would be no "F-attachment" in the bell section, as that circuit would be located in the right-hand #4 rotor.

The bore size - through the rotors - would be larger than .562" (typically bass trombone playing slide bore) as rotors typically add a bit of resistance, but the bore size of the circuits would not be tremendously larger than the bore of a typical bass trombone playing slide.

The low-octave (and also double-low octave) fingering pattern (though in B♭) would - again - follow that of a classic 4+2 F tuba set-up, and - no - I would not (were I to actually pursue such a project) be interested in building one with any other configuration, and anyone's else brilliant ideas should best be pursued by someone else.

B♭ - no valves
A - 2
A♭ - 1
G - 1-2
G♭ - 2-3
F - 4
E - 6-4
E♭ - 5-4
D - 5-6-4
D♭ - 6-2-3-4
C - 5-6-3-4
B - 5-1-2-3-4

For those to whom the 4+2 system is foreign, note that - from F down to D, the left hand completely mimics what the right hand does (from B♭ down to G), but - simply - with the 4th valve additionally depressed. Though the term is not widely accepted, I personally refer to this as a "manual compensating system".

I could build one with a lower parts cost using a Jimbo 3+1 compensating system, but the concerns - here - would be stuffiness, build quality, and intonation, so (if such a project were to ever happen at all) I have rejected that option. I have also rejected a 5-valve system, as (though arguably "good enough" for a C contrabass tuba, as the only "screaming-horribly-out-of-tune-crazy-sharp" pitch - with a C contrabass - is "double-low" D, there are still other pitches which - sorry, but... - are just not close enough to the correct tubing lengths (specifically, the four seen above - which involve the 6th valve) for intonation standards required for acceptably-good bass trombone playing.

I'm partial to a particular bass trombone bell section, because (at least, with a playing slide) it's a bass trombone which asks for remarkably little "micro-tuning" of the playing slide (compared to quite a few pricey bass trombones), and - with a valve system - it's obviously of utmost importance that the partials/overtones behave themselves as well as possible. Even with slide trigger, the hope would be that a player/operator would not have be be driven "nuts" via its mandatory constant use.

Here's the thing:
Even around here (in small-town lower-population-density USA) it's pretty easy to find a GOOD bass trombonist who's available to play engagements, and - if they don't live right in the town where the gig is located, they're willing to drive a hundred miles (or more) to play a hundred-buck job...so I really don't think that any tuba/baritone players (even if such an instrument were to turn out quite good, and were it mastered to quite a level) would end up picking up much additional work - via the ownership of such a contraption. Further, to many (most?) patrons/contractors, live music is at least 90% optics, and - even though the bell section would point out just like a bass trombone bell, and WOULD BE a bass trombone bell - the optics obviously wouldn't completely be on-target.

ALL OF THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, via "beginner's luck" (or perhaps "having a good idea which sort of things might INSURE bad luck"...??) I ended up with THE BEST (F) cimbasso I've ever played, and - in particular - in regards to intonation, but "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." WERE such an experiment to "not suck" (though I would not be simultaneously building a duplicate - side-by-side - for myself) I might (??) consider building one for myself in the future. :red:

:eyes:

...and yeah...for ADDITIONAL COST, I could include a playing slide, and possibly even a bolt-on (STANDARD ROTOR) F attachment.
Last edited by bloke on Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgeman

Re: bass trombone-size B♭ rotary-valves "cimbasso"

Post by rodgeman »

Very interesting write up. I think it has lots going for it.
These users thanked the author rodgeman for the post:
bloke (Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:42 pm)
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner