Short notice Bloke!!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Paulver

Short notice Bloke!!

Post by Paulver »

Heading out to hear the Pittsburgh Symphony at an outdoor venue this evening. A little cool, but otherwise, a great evening in store. Looking forward to it, as this is the first time in quite awhile to hear them in person. My daughter studies french horn with Mark when not at Eastman, as I mentioned a long time ago.

So, Bloke......... if we get the opportunity to speak with him, I'll take the opportunity to relay a greeting from you.... assuming that's okay!!
These users thanked the author Paulver for the post:
bloke (Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:35 pm)

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Short notice Bloke!!

Post by bloke »

She's getting some great instruction, both at home and at school ! :thumbsup: :smilie8:

The fb way-back machine (eight years ago, today) just reminded me (several pictures of when we played at the international horn shindig at University of Memphis) of when Mark, Steve Harlos, and I were rehearsing one of the Wilder suites upstairs on the landing with our (such as it is) Kawai 5", here out at blokeplace.

Mark was playing on an instrument that was not his personal instrument, but a make that his family business sells (because the manufacturer was going to be in the audience).

When Mark visits, he always wants to play duets (which I accept as a great compliment).
He pulls out stuff that he likes, I do some tricky "thinky" transposing, and then I pull out some that I like and Mark - then - has to do some tricky "thinky" transposing. :laugh:

Steve is one of those guys who is a great classical AND a great jazz pianist. Those - I'm sure (due both to his virtuosity and flexibility) - are the reasons why he is the Dallas Symphony's pianist.
Paulver

Re: Short notice Bloke!!

Post by Paulver »

Just got back from the concert. Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to talk to any of the symphony guys. They were fenced off from the crowd, and by the time we got to the parking area, everyone was in their cars trying to get home.

Regarding the great instruction....... that's why we take her there every week during the summer. Mark is a terrific player and teacher. He knows how to perfectly describe what the music should sound like and how it should be interpreted. (Sometimes two or three possibilities.) Nothing left to chance or doubt!!!

Gretchen, our daughter, loves her lessons with him. The professional insight she gets on things is priceless.
These users thanked the author Paulver for the post:
bloke (Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:29 pm)