Besson 983

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
gnimoyw

Besson 983

Post by gnimoyw »

A friend has offered to sell me his Besson 983 Eb tuba and I've been demoing it for a few days. I've always wanted to learn to play Eb and I'm enjoying it, though my fingerings are predictably awful. Before I decide to purchase I wanted to get a bit of additional info about its manufacturing and provenance as it seems like these have been made in England, read somewhere they might now be made in Germany, etc... sort of confusing. This one is stamped Made in England, it's a lacquer horn, and the bell says "Besson Sovereign Made in England BE983 - 9007XX" (which I assume is the serial # and I've omitted the last two digits). In some others I've seen online the number was 7 digits rather than 6 so I thought that might be a clue as to when it was manufactured. Any thoughts on this and whether there are certain versions of this horn to avoid. As I said, not an Eb player (yet) so telling what's good or bad is tough.

Thanks for any advice!

B&S GR-51 BBb
greenbean
Damn good stuff

Re: Besson 983

Post by greenbean »

Your serial # would suggest early 2000s. And production moved to Germany in 2005, so somewhere just before that. I don't think there are any caveats regarding these models. I have "heard" that the English horns are better made than the German horns. But that might be speculation. I would be concerned if production moved to China... but Germany? No. I own two 1970s Besson Eb's and they are extremely well made horns. And they sound great with excellent intonation. The only complaint I might have is the weight. They are 18 to 19 lb, which is pretty heavy for a small horn - comparable to a lot of 4/4 BBb tubas. But it is certainly manageable and I think the compensating system is worth it.

Have fun with your demo!

Tom Rice
www.superfinecases.com
Currently playing...
1973 Mirafone 184 BBb
1972 Böhm & Meinl Marzan BBb
gnimoyw

Post by gnimoyw »

Thank you, that's helpful!
B&S GR-51 BBb
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Buy it

:thumbsup:
gnimoyw

Post by gnimoyw »

I did, the other day! I decided it was a great horn at a fair price and it was already in my house so shipping was a breeze. 😂
B&S GR-51 BBb
Doc

Post by Doc »

gnimoyw wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:21 am I did, the other day! I decided it was a great horn at a fair price and it was already in my house so shipping was a breeze. 😂
PICS, OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Audio is also much appreciated.

Congratulations! Hope it works out perfectly.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!