Hawkes Resurrection

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
Leviathan
Has thanked: 0

Hawkes Resurrection

Post by Leviathan »

Here we have the-almost-complete result of a five year project. The culmination of a lot of thinking, collaboration, practice, ‘road testing’ ……and a vast reservoir of patience.
Most of the work was done by Clennell Custom Brass in Birmingham with the valve section overhauled by Anderson’s in Indiana.The leadpipe was made and fitted by Mike Johnson in Manchester.
Extra parts and the 5th rotary valve were supplied by Voigt of Germany and assembled/constructed here.
The instrument itself is a resurrected 1911 EEb Hawkes ‘Emperor’ Cavalry tuba and you can see from the photos that the valve configuration is 1+3+1: The 5th valve is a flat whole step.

The idea was to have a left-facing 5 valve non-compensating EEb which could offer an alternative bass tuba solution to the (Over here!) ubiquitous B&H Besson Sovereign, whilst simultaneously getting my bell away from the timps (which were usually right behind me on stage)
I had tried a few commercially available alternatives (Meinl Weston, Besson 983 etc) but I was personally left a little cold by them-fine instruments though they undoubtedly were.
Having played a vintage Boosey cavalry tuba (The actual instrument used by Besson as the template for the first Edgware built 983) and also the even older Hawkes equivalent, I had enjoyed the feel and resonance of these and thought that perhaps a bespoke/hand-built updated version might be the avenue to explore.

How does it ‘go’?
After a pretty exhaustive test and trial period where the instrument was used exclusively day in/day out in a range of repertoire; the results are very satisfying.
The instrument doesn’t have the ‘4/4 CC’ weight of sound that a good Besson has but it makes up for this with clarity & punch that the Besson can sometimes lack.

The intonation is not exactly point & shoot but is certainly easily manageable and less ‘squirrelly’ than a lot of F tubas I’ve tried (Including my B&S 6v F!) : The dual action trigger pretty much sorts everything out.
I’ve used a Schilke Helleberg for the orchestral playing and have tried a DW3 and Bach 24AW in practice on occasion.
(The DW & Bach do give a little more weight and darkness to the sound-but the Schilke works better for me.)

I tested it on the wisest spectrum of orchestral music that I could in the circumstances, and even used it on literature that I wouldn’t normally use a bass tuba to find out exactly what the instruments limits in an orchestral setting might be: Tchaikovsky (Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, March Slave) Shostakovich 5, Glazunov 5, Mendelssohn (Reformation Symphony & Midsummer nights dream) Malcolm Arnold 5, Stravinsky Symphonies of Wind, Brahms Academic, Thomas Ades, Takemitsu & Dvorak is a reasonable cross section I would say.
I haven’t yet had the opportunity to use the instrument in a brass ensemble, but I was primarily much more concerned with how it would function in a full-sized symphony orchestra.
The conclusion: it’s a good all round bass tuba with its own distinctive voice. Not as dark as a Besson Eb not as bright as a 6/4 F but with many of both types desirable qualities minus some of their less attractive faults. ( eg no wayward low C (on an F) or sharp E natural (on an Eb))
The only real problem I can foresee is that I’ll now have to have another one created!!!!

There are a few very small tweaks to make, but-by & large-this is the finished item. (In as much as anything like this can be!)
I hope that this all proves interesting-or at least diverting-read.

The photos are self explanatory but the ‘action shots’ are stills taken from recent online video recordings by the CBSO at Symphony Hall Birmingham and the BBC Proms at the Royal Albert Hall London.
(I have included the size comparison with the Besson New standard for interest.)

My heartfelt thanks must go to the wonderful craftsmanship of Andy Clennell, the superlative engineering skills of Anderson’s and also Mike’s vital contribution in bringing this instrument to the concert platform.
The same also goes to my friends and colleagues in the low brass section: Richard, Tony & Dave-whom I’ve grilled frequently and whom have, mostly tactfully, offered valuable feedback!!!

What have I learned:
For those of you on this forum who do this kind of creative instrument building/design and restoration I have had my respect and knowledge vastly increased for what goes into something that hovers in the mists where craftsmanship,imagination and art reside.
The other thing is to have the timely reminder that, as an instrumentalist (as in everything), there is always something new to learn and new skills to master-whilst at at the same time deepening and broadening the abilities one already has.
Was it easy-No. Was it quick-certainly not.
Was it cheap-Absolutely not!
Has it been worth it-Yes, and would have been so even if the experiment had been a failure.

But then: I suppose that any endeavour truly worthwhile conforms to that test doesn’t it?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0l2WpXZ ... ji83JPmCag

https://share.icloud.com/photos/03SPhHm ... NMJRsFw2XQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0EnCsLT ... dRQM_lpz9Q

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bV4fan ... xDV272i1KQ
These users thanked the author Leviathan for the post (total 5):
York-aholic (Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:03 am) • matt g (Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:31 am) • hrender (Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:34 pm) • Casca Grossa (Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:34 pm) • rodgeman (Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:13 pm)

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Hawkes Resurrection

Post by bloke »

I appreciate what you did...and (via your background) why you did it the way you did. :smilie8:

With hundreds of hours involved...were it (also) expensive (for me), I just couldn't imagine pursuing these sorts of endeavors - even as rarely as I pursue them.

My B-flat Holton still needs a short chunk of tubing (not a slide) heated and very slightly tapped down to "coplanar"...and I would also like for the unusual-length 5th valve circuit to be (maybe) an inch shorter...and (well...) then there is "putting some sort of finish on it" (in case I foolishly decide to dump it, as - well... - people buy pictures, do they not?)

Congratulations ! :clap:

now: off to the hardware store. I'm out of soft wire, and - putting a couple of those crappy YBB-321 tubas back "right" (as those stupid caps cost over $125, and are - well... - crummy) I've repaired (rather than replaced) a bottom bow cap, and need to "bully" it back on to the bottom bow.
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

Nice :thumbsup:
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Graham

What a journey of discovery, and it delivered a great playing instrument :tuba: I can see a manufacturer knocking on your door! Or someone with a cheque wanting to buy it
Leviathan

Post by Leviathan »

Thankyou for your message and kind words.
I suspect that this is a somewhat niche/ bespoke solution to a quite specific set of requirements and I’d be more than a little surprised if anyone (Private or corporate) banged on the door brandishing a fat chequebook anytime soon!!
(It’s an uplifting ‘I wonder’ thought for when I’m next stuck on the M6 on a wet November morning though!)

In any event, so much has gone into the process I think this instrument will stay with me until the ‘playing boots’ have been well and truly hung-up!
Besides; I merely play it. The chaps who built it and translated thought into tangible reality are the ones who should get the recognition and credit.
These users thanked the author Leviathan for the post:
rodgeman (Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:12 pm)
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Please repost. I got "Shared photos not available." I'll check on another computer this evening to make sure it isn't a firewall issue.
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

iiipopes wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:48 am Please repost. I got "Shared photos not available." I'll check on another computer this evening to make sure it isn't a firewall issue.
I get that message on both my phone and computer.
These users thanked the author Kirley for the post:
York-aholic (Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:19 am)
Leviathan

Post by Leviathan »

Sorry about that:
I’ll sort it out later after work.
G
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

A very interesting read, thank you. I look forward to being able to open the pictures.

Some years back I used Andy (Clennell Custom Brass in Birmingham) for a couple of Trombone repairs - I found out about him via another satisfied customer. Andy’s a great person to deal with, he does a first rate job and is a joy to interact with. He is a bit of a drive from me but helped me out by allowing me to book a time and wait whilst he worked his magic.

Was there a particular reason why the valve-set had to go to Indiana? I’m minded to ask Andy about the valves and casings on an old Besson Tuba of mine, but cost effectiveness is an issue to me.
Last edited by 2nd tenor on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Still no pix, so it didn't happen. :gaah:
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

UncleBeer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:46 pm Still no pix, so it didn't happen. :gaah:
Yep, technology can be frustrating and (once you check out who is is) the OP has many different professional commitments on his time. Let’s hope that he returns here at some point and manages to show the pictures.