Converting video files to MP4 files

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Paulver

Converting video files to MP4 files

Post by Paulver »

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not..... sorry!!

My daughter is needing to send audition videos in order to apply for orchestra sub lists, extras, etc. We've been using Handbrake to convert them to MP4 files, but the video quality just isn't there. We've experimented with it quite a bit with no success. Either we're not doing something, or we're doing something wrong. Anyway.......... Are there any other (better) file conversion programs out there that you guys use?

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Converting video files to MP4 files

Post by LeMark »

Most movie editing programs use MP4. I have Adobe premiere elements, it might be available as a 30 day trial.

If you can get it to work, you could always send the files to me, and I can convert and send them back

What format are they now?
Yep, I'm Mark
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

This will do all sorts of multimedia conversions quickly and easily. http://www.pcfreetime.com/formatfactory ... anguage=en
ParLawGod
Site Admin

Post by ParLawGod »

I use a free program called Any Video Converter. Works great for me when converting to different formats. Worth a try IMO.
GC

Post by GC »

What is the video source you're converting from? Also, what kind of machine are you using to convert?

I use Handbrake for most things, but there are tons of converters out there that will convert to mp4 or m4p.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

Forgot to mention.... my family uses Macs. The recorder my daughter uses is a Zoom Q8. She then transfers the files to her Mac laptop........ which is top notch. I'm not exactly sure how she's transferring the files, but she then sends it to us at home via imessage, (Messages) for us to convert to MP4. When we send it back to her converted, the video quality isn't very good. Audio is great. They are originally MOV files.

Also.... when we play it back on our iMac, the video is very pixelated and the top portion of the video is frozen while the lower portion is moving normally. I suspect that we're not doing something correctly or have the incorrect settings somewhere.
Last edited by Paulver on Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
GC

Post by GC »

I'm a long-time Mac user, so I know the lay of the land here.

Have you played them back before converting to make sure the original video is okay? If so, we know that's not the problem, but the problem lies in the conversion.

Do you know what video resolution she's got the camera set on (the video resolution of the video will be the same)? Do you know what preset you're using on Handbrake (if any)? Also, do the people she's submitting to have particular requirements for file formats and resolution? Also, is your version of Handbrake up to date?

If this gets too complicated, there are several simplified mp4 converters for free on the App Store for Mac.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

Update on the Handbrake video conversion issue.

It turns out that MPEG StreamClip and Handbrake don't work well together.....at least on my computer. I was using Handbrake to convert the video from MOV to MP4, and my computer was automatically using MEPG StreamClip to play it back on screen. It was causing a severe glitch within the playback, so once we figured out the problem, we switched to a different program, and all was right with the world again!!!!

The second issue of the graininess/large pixels was (obviously) due to the low resolution setting which my daughter was unknowingly using. Got that part straightened out quickly. The other issue took quite awhile to figure out, BUT.......... we got it.

Thanks to all who offered info and help.