Slide Lubricants

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Big Francis

Slide Lubricants

Post by Big Francis »

So for going on 30 years, I’ve used the 3-in-one oil for the 1st, 3rd, and 4th valve slide. It comes with the usual issues, it gets into the valves for the first few days and I have to oil my valves frequently.

When I went to the hardware store, they had this silicone stuff. Has anyone used it? I don’t think it’ll mess stuff up, and if it does, it should wash off, right?

If I’m a guinea pig for this, so be it.
F16016E6-CF28-47D0-A3E3-7FA44132B3B7.jpeg
F16016E6-CF28-47D0-A3E3-7FA44132B3B7.jpeg (150.12 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

bort2.0

Re: Slide Lubricants

Post by bort2.0 »

It'll be interesting to see what people say here. To be honest, I'm not sure if but very much of anything on my slides in the last 30 years. Maybe a little bit of whatever jar of grease came in the Miraphone care kits, but even then, that little jar of it has been plenty to last forever.

I told you I'm not a slide puller!
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Silicone?? Na, don’t like the looks of that.

We are talking about slide lubricants aren’t we?? :red:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Big Francis

Post by Big Francis »

Three Valves wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:46 pm Silicone?? Na, don’t like the looks of that.

We are talking about slide lubricants aren’t we?? :red:
If it doesn’t work, I’ll ask Mark to move this to the bad ideas thread :laugh:
These users thanked the author Big Francis for the post:
Three Valves (Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:55 pm)
GC

Post by GC »

It is a silicone drip oil, according to the ads, but the quick-drying part makes me wonder.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
Big Francis

Post by Big Francis »

GC wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:32 pm It is a silicone drip oil, according to the ads, but the quick-drying part makes me wonder.
Me too, had me wondering if it wouldn’t feed into the valve casing.
hup_d_dup
Has thanked: 0

Post by hup_d_dup »

I prefer a light grease to oli, on the theory that it is less likely to migrate to the valves.

In the past I have used silicone grease and it works fine, although no better than any number of other greases.

Hup
Yes, I play tuba. What else is there to say?
Ace

Post by Ace »

I've been playing since 1947, and the best slide lubricant I have used is by Weril. It is head and shoulders better than any product that I have experienced.

Ace
These users thanked the author Ace for the post:
hrender (Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:45 am)
KingTuba1241X

Post by KingTuba1241X »

Yamaha "lipstick tube" slide grease is always readily available at many music stores and works great. Putting silicone on slides sounds like a recipe for disaster and gummy valves. :drool:
06' Miraphone 187-4U
Big Francis

Post by Big Francis »

KingTuba1241X wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:31 pm Putting silicone on slides sounds like a recipe for disaster and gummy valves. :drool:
That’s probably the best way to pry money away from the in-house accountant to have Lee put a couple water keys in better spots and throw on the 45slp lead pipe.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

"Babe, tuba's broke. Lemme get it fixed now or hear about how it's broke until it gets fixed...."

Mrs Bort is definitely the kind to say "Just fix it and shut up about it" :)
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 2):
Big Francis (Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:05 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:40 am)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The only real solution - to avoid grease migrating into valve oil (which is probably the cause of the overwhelming number of complaints about various brands of valve oil, whereas the oils themselves are likely innocent whipping boys) - is to perfectly align slides - both parallel and coplanar, and then fit the inside/outside slide tube pairs to each other as if they are pistons and casings. That way, valve oil can be used on slides as well as valves, so that migration doesn’t matter.
I’ve pointed this out quite a few times, but - when I point this out- it’s as if I typed it in white text, because no one wants to hear it.
I don’t put slide grease on my tubas.
Curiously, my instruments (all sorts of tubas made all over the world) are not sensitive to this, that, or the other brand of valve oil. 😐

…btw, almost no factory instruments ($1000 - $40,000) are shipped with slide alignment as described above. It just takes too much time, as far as manufacturers are apparently concerned.
JESimmons

Post by JESimmons »

As a trombone player, I bought a big jar of anhydrous lanolin in 1967 for my tuning slides. Still using the same jar on my tuba today.
hup_d_dup
Has thanked: 0

Post by hup_d_dup »

bloke wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:43 am The only real solution . . . is to perfectly align slides - both parallel and coplanar, and then fit the inside/outside slide tube pairs to each other as if they are pistons and casings.
Pistons are prevented from departing the instrument by threaded caps. What keeps the slides from going their merry way?

Hup
These users thanked the author hup_d_dup for the post:
bloke (Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:13 am)
Yes, I play tuba. What else is there to say?
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

hup_d_dup wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:05 am
bloke wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:43 am The only real solution . . . is to perfectly align slides - both parallel and coplanar, and then fit the inside/outside slide tube pairs to each other as if they are pistons and casings.
Pistons are prevented from departing the instrument by threaded caps. What keeps the slides from going their merry way?

Hup
Easy. Just take the ends of the two tubes and bend them ever so slightly towards each other... :facepalm2:
Big Francis

Post by Big Francis »

bloke wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:43 am The only real solution - to avoid grease migrating into valve oil (which is probably the cause of the overwhelming number of complaints about various brands of valve oil, whereas the oils themselves are likely innocent whipping boys) - is to perfectly align slides - both parallel and coplanar, and then fit the inside/outside slide tube pairs to each other as if they are pistons and casings.
That's in the long-term plans, looking for a band-aid fix until then.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Adding a stop rod (as I’m not for much for those shoestring things) actually takes less time than aligning a slide.

(I don’t have “loose fitting“ slides on my instruments, but rather “precise fitting“. I will admit that - when left in a really warm room - I’ve had a slide slip out once or twice over the years, but - nearly always - two pairs of tubes offer just enough friction to prevent that from occurring.
I don’t “fit” slides with sandpaper and buffing wheels.)
hup_d_dup wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:05 am

Hup
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I don't ever mix synthetic with dino lubes after a heinous experience in the early 1990s. I know that since Hetman released his stuff that this serious danger is not really a thing any longer, but once bitten, twice shy.

With that in mind, this past year, on my valves I have been using Bloke's favorite: odorless lamp oil. I love it. I have to use more of it more often, but my stuff is CLEAN and the small hangs I would get on occasion are slowly going away.

I use 3-in-ONE household oil on my first slides for years. I really like it for that.

I still grease my slides because I prefer how that works. I use the Schilke stuff but have been trying to come up with a "homebrew" grease that is closer to that stuff than to the "Guppy Lube" I have used for years. The GL dries out too fast, and it is super sensitive to temperature. If it is cold the slides nearly freeze in place, and if hot they can become too loose or the grease can ooze out. I don't ever want to need to mix the stuff up to go with the weather like is suggested by the old farts who love this stuff. (Trumpet players. Huh.) The Schilke is not anhydrous lanolin and mineral oil. I know the formula is out there, somewhere, but I never think to look it up.

I also use plain, old gray axle grease. It stinks, though, so I don't use it very often.

I tried Hetman's stuff. I tried the Monster Oil products. I used Spacefiller, Alisyn, Presto, etc. I guess I am not really a synthetic lube guy. Give me dead dinosaur products any day of the week. For the time being, I am liking the lamp oil and Schilke grease with 3-in-ONE on the slides I have to manipulate more than occasionally. These products work, do not create weird residues or buildups, do not stink, and lubricate things in a predictable manner. The two oils are also inexpensive. While the Schilke grease is not, I am trying to mix up my own version of it.