Besson upright valve compensated CCs

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
cjk

Besson upright valve compensated CCs

Post by cjk »

I know that Besson made a few 3+1 compensated CCs. I believe there was mention of one in Bevan's "The Tuba Family".
I've seen one sell through Dillon music quite a number of years ago.
One also was sold by Baltimore brass in the somewhat recent past. It came out of the stable of the famous Texas tuba collector
I know that there were also a few 3 valve compensated CCs. I think I know where at least one of these is. I am aware of at least two.

I am aware of the cut 3+1 CC for sale on the other site. It doesn't interest me.
While I'm sure they are great, I'm not interested in the Besson 5 valve Nirschl lookalike CCs.

Does anyone here have one of these factory upright valve Besson CCs?
If so, could you comment about the intonation and size of it?
Is it more of an extended E flat or a shortened B flat or is it something completely different?
If you have one, do you use it or do you keep it as a curiosity?
Any ideas on how many of these were made?

all the best,
Christian

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Besson upright valve compensated CCs

Post by bloke »

I sat next to a gent (decades ago) ONE time in a community band who owned one, and was using it at that rehearsal.

The guy's playing did NOT suck...so I assume the tuba also did NOT suck.

I did NOT play it.