Wessex Champion EEb compare?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Vegasbound

Wessex Champion EEb compare?

Post by Vegasbound »

Anyone own and play a Wessex EEB champion?

how does it compare to the 981/982 Sov's ?

Dan Tuba

Re: Wessex Champion EEb compare?

Post by Dan Tuba »

I purchased a used Wessex Champion(manufactured in 2018), in hopes of finding a comparable EEb tuba to the Besson 982 that my work provided. Overall, it's a nice tuba, very similar in playability (response, intonation, etc). However, I noticed, as well as my colleagues, "for me", the sound wasn't as resonant or as full sounding as the Besson 982. I also experienced issues with the valves sticking on a few gigs, so I eventually sold it. Like I said, overall it's a nice tuba, and I could "make do" with it, however I don't like to have to fool around with mechanical issues on the job.

I did purchase a new Wessex XL in October and have used it on a bunch of gigs, and it's been great. The valves, slides are excellent.

Here's a link to some short demo videos that I made with the Wessex Champion:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 8xeN3IPTGh
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
Doc

Post by Doc »

Another I would encourage you to consider:

These users thanked the author Doc for the post (total 3):
Kontrabasstuba (Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:55 pm) • jtm (Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:43 pm) • Mary Ann (Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:18 pm)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I owned a Wessex Champion for about 8 months. I thought it was just okay. Stuffy low register and bland sound.

Not my bag.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Valves sticking seems to be a recurring theme, also comments on sound not being as resonant/ full

I have a 982 from 2004, sadly no comparison to my old 981 from 1997 (how I wish I still had that) other option is the Sterling EEb
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

The JP377 is the only 3+1 compensating EEb tuba that I have played that is comparable to the new Bessons.
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

The 377 is the Sterling, made in the UK by those who made the Sov’s
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

Vegasbound wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:50 pm The 377 is the Sterling, made in the UK by those who made the Sov’s
I'm not entirely sure where they are manufactured, but they are really nice playing tubas.
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
Doc

Post by Doc »

Vegasbound wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:50 pm The 377 is the Sterling, made in the UK by those who made the Sov’s
Designed by Brits, manufactured in China, but it's not Jinbao junk. Very well-built and plays great. No fit/finish issues. No valve issues. Solid instruments through and through. If they were not excellent, @bloke or @LeMark or Dan (among others here) wouldn't own or promote Packer instruments. I wouldn't either. Many others here can speak to the reputation of the company and their products. I also have a 274 euphonium that is also a superb instrument.

Joe will correct me if I am wrong: the 377 has the 80:20 alloy bell and leadpipe, whereas the 277 has a regular yellow brass bell and leadpipe (costs less as a result).
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I agree that packer quality elevated it to being a worthy consideration.

Here's the deal with the 277, and the reason I don't own one. The leadpipe comes straight across, and hits me in the lower neck, so I would struggle to play it comfortably. the 377 has a bent leadpipe, and is more comfortable.

If you're a fan of the fletcher leadpipe, get the 277 and save some serious money
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
Doc (Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:18 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The mouthpipe config is different, as Mark points out, and the 277 is yellow brass.

Were it that the 277 mouthpipe didn't hit me in the neck or chin, I would like to explore that model further.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Doc wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:08 pm
Designed by Brits, manufactured in China, but it's not Jinbao junk. Very well-built and plays great. No fit/finish issues. No valve issues. Solid instruments through and through. If they were not excellent, @bloke or @LeMark or Dan (among others here) wouldn't own or promote Packer instruments. I wouldn't either. Many others here can speak to the reputation of the company and their products. I also have a 274 euphonium that is also a superb instrument.

Joe will correct me if I am wrong: the 377 has the 80:20 alloy bell and leadpipe, whereas the 277 has a regular yellow brass bell and leadpipe (costs less as a result).

I am seriously looking at the UK made Sterling

https://sites.google.com/site/sterlingb ... omingsoon/
GC

Post by GC »

The JP377 is the Packer/Sterling instrument. It is not made by Sterling, it is made in China. Sterling is a separate company best known for top-level euphoniums, and they have made Eb tubas in the past. The mouthpipe and some other elements were designed by Paul Riggett of Sterling, and some of their other instruments had design input from big names in those instruments' areas.

Packer's web site has changed the wording for some of their instrument names not too long ago. What was the Packer/Sterling JP377 is now the Packer JP377 Sterling. This does not mean it was manufactured in England by Sterling unless their manufacturing situation has changed radically. I admit that I don't keep up with everything that's been going on.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

For Each family of instruments, Packer teams up with a mainstream UK manufacture to design their 300 series

Smith Watkins /fluglehorns and trumpets
Rath / French horns and trombones
Sterling / tubas and euphoniums

Michael Rath himself told me that the Packer /rath trombones are build in the same factory that his Rath r100/r400/r900 trombones are. He trusts the quality enough to allow them to put his name on an instrument made in China. That's good enough for me
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
GC (Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:41 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Thanks for the input, I am trying to avoid if possible chinese made, although it is becoming harder to do I am uneasy due to their human rights/modern slavery/Uighar muslim treatment and "re-education camps

Not making any political statement, just my personal feeling
donn

Post by donn »

In that case you will also want to steer clear of Yamaha, or so it appears to me.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

donn wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:25 am In that case you will also want to steer clear of Yamaha, or so it appears to me.
The Yamaha pro models are still made in Japan