Job Interview

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Tubajug

Job Interview

Post by Tubajug »

If this needs to be moved to The Lounge, feel free. I wasn't ​sure where the moderators would like it to live.

I've been at my current 5-12 band job for 11 years. It got it after being a long-term sub and then taking over when the teacher moved on. It was my first job out of college, and I only interviewed at one other place (I didn't even interview for my current job, I just showed up to sub and they kept me) and didn't get that job.

I am hoping to move to a middle school job at a larger district and have an interview lined up this Friday. My question for you all is, what, if anything, should I bring or have prepared for an interview, considering I haven't done one in over 11 years? Considering my resume, cover letter, etc have already been submitted and (I'm assuming) reviewed online with my application, is there anything else I should consider bringing?

Any tips and advice are welcome as this will hopefully be the best move for my own sanity (yes, I enjoy working with middle school kids), and for the time it will mean with my family.

Thank you all!

Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
DonO.

Re: Job Interview

Post by DonO. »

I remember my first round of job interviews after graduation. It seemed like I interviewed everywhere! And I amassed a sizable collection of rejection letters, when they bothered to send a letter. My music education professor had advised us to put together a portfolio of accomplishments- a notebook full of things like arrangements we had written, recital programs, certificates and awards we had won, etc. Show THAT to your interviewer, he said. It will make you stand out from the others. He or she will surely be impressed by the honors and the way you have organized them into a presentation. So that’s what I did. BIG MISTAKE! I don’t know how many potential job offerings I lost because of such a pretentious move. But I was just doing what I was told was the right thing to do. Once I had seen too many pairs of eyes glaze over i wised up. You don’t bring anything to the interview but yourself. They want to know the person. They want to know what you can do for them, not visa versa. Be yourself, be polite, be genuine, answer all questions directly, with just enough information. TMI is a turn off. Make it clear that you want to help them. And when given the chance, ask questions. Ask about the district, the program, what has been done in the past. If asked what you would do differently, be honest, but never diss your predecessors. Make it clear that you appreciate the successful program they have built and you look forward to moving the program even further. If you’re VERY lucky the interviewer might know music or even include the chair of the music department in the interview process. I’ve had my best luck in interviews where that was the situation. But if the interviewer isn’t musical, you have to just do your best to communicate in layman’s terms. Resist the temptation to be condescending though! Well, that’s about all I have. Good luck!
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post:
Tubajug (Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:47 pm)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

You know all those documents you submitted online? Bring copies anyway. A lot of times the person who reviews those is not the person you will speak with, and that person might not even have copies with them.

Assume nothing.

It never hurts to have superfluous paperwork in your briefcase. If you don't need it they won't know you have it, and if you *do* need it, there it is.

Be prepared to talk about security and stuff like preparedness for shootings. This is becoming more of an interview-level topic, unfortunately -- sort of like discussing how you would handle conflict resolution with a coworker.

Best of luck!
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schlitzz

Post by Schlitzz »

You should be eating bland food starting on Wednesday, TODAY. If you are a foodie, food truck, burrito eating sloth..... You toot on the tuba, not your own horn.
Yamaha 641
Hirsbrunner Euph

I hate broccoli.
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

All excellent advice given here! Good Luck, Jordan!!
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

Just a couple of suggestions that served me well over the years of job interviews.

Research the school district a bit. You don't want to take a step down!! Find out what they want from their band program....... and be exactly the guy they're looking for! (Even if you figure out during the interview that you don't really want the job, play it out to the end. You can always turn it down if they offer it to you. Also, you might be the guy who turns it around to the way you want it in a few years. You never know!!!)

If you know someone in that district, or know someone who knows someone in that district, who might be able to help you............. use them!!

Know the district and know their problems. (Every district has problems!!) Have some ideas that you can float as solutions. Don't give away the farm, but rather, just enough to peak their interest in you.

Talk "to" them..... not "at" them!

As I progressed through my career, I learned that interviews were a psychological game. At some point during the process, you should be able to figure out if they're really interested in you. When that happens, feed them what they want. Let them reassure themselves that you're their guy. If you surmise that they aren't interested in you, then you'll have a decision to make: Do you truly want the job, or is this an exercise in futility? IF you really want the job....... continue to work for it. Find something (topic/idea) that has the potential to change their minds. Demonstrate that you'd be the wisest choice. On the other hand, if you realize that you aren't what they're looking for, your other decision would be to just ride it out "without" looking like you've given up on it. Always leave them with the feeling that they can come back to you. (Their first choice might not take the job.) Be confident......... not cocky!

Some may disagree with what I've written, but like I said, it served me well over the years. I went to many interviews...... quite a few that I never wanted in the first place. I went to them for practice! When one came along that I really wanted, I was completely prepared for it. When I came out of the interview, I knew that I had given it my best shot.

Good luck!!
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

Thank you all for your posts and encouragement!
Jordan
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Yamaha YBB-103

bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

My general, all purpose advice: Act like you've done this before.

As a musician, you should be pretty good at this already. There's no hiding and there's the expectation of perfection but the reality of fudging things where you need to in order to be presentable and convincing.

Go in with charisma and confidence. You got this!

Also -- never forget that the interview is also for YOU to decide if THEY are a good fit FOR YOU. I've had job interviews before where I was excited to go, but afterwards thought to myself "I don't think I want to work there." And that's ok if that happens -- when you send them a follow-up note (you will send a follow-up note, right?) just thank them for their time and say you're no longer pursuing the opportunity. Save your time and theirs.

BUT! I hope it works out for you. Could be the next big step forward!
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

I think it went pretty well. Now we wait! Thanks again for all the input, everyone.
These users thanked the author Tubajug for the post (total 3):
prairieboy1 (Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:13 pm) • the elephant (Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:23 pm) • WC8KCY (Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:39 pm)
Jordan
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Yamaha YBB-103

prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Tubajug wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:05 pm I think it went pretty well. Now we wait! Thanks again for all the input, everyone.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)