Holton 111 Eb Sousaphone Neck

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
OpticalGalaxy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Holton 111 Eb Sousaphone Neck

Post by OpticalGalaxy »

I recently acquired a lacquer Holton 111 Eb sousaphone that functions great, but is otherwise unplayable because it did not come with a neck.

I have other necks from BBb sousaphones, but unfortunately the tenon diameters are all larger than the receiver on the Eb.

I purchased a Conn receiver that I could install on the horn, but I just feel like that is doing a disservice to the instrument and seems like I'm giving up on trying to find a proper neck. Only if I absolutely can't find anything, I'll put on the Conn receiver so I can use a BBb neck to at least make the horn playable.

The inside diameter of the receiver is approximately 0.580 inches so I am looking for a neck that has a tenon around that size. Also if anyone has a bell screw as well. Horn currently has 2, would be nice to get a full set. Both screws have 12 threads which are 0.243 inches in diameter.

Any guidance on where to continue my search for these parts is also appreciated! I am an aspiring instrument repair technician whose biggest goal is giving new life to neglected/unused instruments. Thanks everyone in advance for your time!

JRaymo

Re: Holton 111 Eb Sousaphone Neck

Post by JRaymo »

I have a holton Eb Helicon which has the original neck and one tuning bit. I was able to get the second bit from Lee Stofer. I am not familiar with the model 111 but I am wondering if its like the older Holton sousaphone which are very small compared to other brand sousaphones. The neck on my helicon is only about an inch above the receiver then a 90 degree bend or close to that and its about 2 inches past the bend. I would contact the well known repair people around and ask if they have anything lying around. Martin Wilk I believe makes tuning bits. Possibly if you knew the style neck it had he might be able to make one for you. Would be worth it if the horn is a good player. Having the correct tuning bits for my helicon helped it quite a bit.