Valves Position

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Richard III

Valves Position

Post by Richard III »

Hi All,

I'm trying to move over from euphonium playing to tuba. My friend gave me his Conn BBb to try. The front valves are at an angle that is really uncomfortable. I'm looking for top action valves like on my euphonium. Is there a list of tubas that has that configuration in a Bb? I figure that vintage is best as my money is not great and I hope I can find something for under $1000. It's going to be used for a trad jazz band. Thanks.

Richard

DonO.

Re: Valves Position

Post by DonO. »

To name a few: Yamaha YBB 104,105 (3 valve), 321 (4 valve), King 1140 (3 valves), several different Besson models. Jupiter also makes BBb tubas in that configuration. Lots of brands do. Recommend you search tubas on Reverb and just browse. Even if you don’t find one in your price range, that will give you a good idea of what’s out there that would float your boat. Reverb is a great resource and reference for models and prices.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
matt g

Post by matt g »

Also…
Yamaha YBB-201
Conn 2xJ (20/21… etc)
Old Martin tubas
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
donn

Post by donn »

"2xJ (20/21... etc.)" is tuba nerd code for a series of big Conn tubas with the same body, and various combinations of 3 or 4 valves, upright or forward bell. Bell forward 20J / 24J, upright 21 / 25J; 3 valves 20J / 21J, 4 valves 24J / 25J. These big unwieldy tubas are widely available used and very popular for a traditional jazz bass.

Depending on what the issue was with the front valve tuba, a sousaphone might or might not work better, and if so they're also widely used in traditional bands and usually fairly economical. Especially of course when you'd play standing up - I hate playing sousaphone sitting down, but not as much as I hate playing a big top valve BBb tuba standing up.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Fairly regularly on eBay there will be a regular non-compensating 24-inch recording-bell English-made Besson full-size B-flat tuba with 3 top-action valves in your price range. If the valves are not worn out, those are pretty darn good players.

I might have enough parts here to put together a three valve ~compensating~ version of the same instrument, but - right at the moment- I’ve got a few projects ahead, and I’m not sure that I have quite enough parts.

Unlike those big fat Conn tubas, the F and E at the bottom of the staff (with the Besson instruments) are not seriously flat, but are in tune. I believe the only serious tuning flaw with the Besson instruments is a sharp E-flat up in the staff, which can be fixed by playing it with 1&3, when it matters.

Considerably outside of your price range - here - is a full-blown 3+1 compensating “Sovereign“ Besson B-flat which is - of course - top action (as well as fully chromatic) and has a big 19 inch bell. It’s even in a nice European-made Winter (brand) case. Again, at “a few thousand dollars“ that one is outside of your price range a good bit, and also needs some going over.
Richard III

Post by Richard III »

Excellent recommendations everyone. Thank you. The Besson sounds like a great option. But so do the rest. I have a friend that found a sousaphone for cheap and recommends that. I'll be on the lookout.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

I think you may have to increase your budget at least a bit. After looking on EBay your choices improve considerable when you get to the $1500 neighborhood. I would caution you very strongly against the temptingly inexpensive horns you see from India. The quality on those is dubious at best. There are many horror stories. The upright valve thing makes it tougher. These are usually school horns, some band directors favor them because the valve section is better protected from careless students. Adult players usually favor front action. So available used upright valve horns are often beat-to-death ex-school horns. Another place to check out is Taylor Music. They often have “Econo” overhauls where they bring old school horns back to life by putting them in excellent playing condition, along with improving the cosmetics by removing most of the dents, buffing, and re-lacquering. But those cost around $1700. One other thing: it wouldn’t be like your euphonium at all, but, as pointed out above, Sousaphones in a traditional jazz band are a thing. Audiences love the visual aspect.Check out the myriad traditional jazz bands you will be seeing today, Mardi Gras. I’ll bet most of them have Sousaphones.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Furguson11
Has thanked: 0

Post by Furguson11 »

Richard III wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:16 pm Hi All,

I'm trying to move over from euphonium playing to tuba. My friend gave me his Conn BBb to try. The front valves are at an angle that is really uncomfortable. I'm looking for top action valves like on my euphonium. Is there a list of tubas that has that configuration in a Bb? I figure that vintage is best as my money is not great and I hope I can find something for under $1000. It's going to be used for a trad jazz band. Thanks.

Richard
Yamaha 321 for4 valve BBb, I see them go by all the time for a grand or so in reasonable condition. They have an intonation rep, but one worked fine for me in college. Three valve 3/4 horns for easier to carry, though probably $1000 is what you have to pay for a player. Bloke swears by EEb for Jazz, and three valve compensating Bessons can be found in this range also.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The Besson instruments popped into my head because you can find them with recording bells, and that just seems to be “the right thing“ for a jazz band… at least, to me.

The fancier Besson (that I have - the “Sovereign” with the fixed upright bell) is not only too expensive for this person, but also not the best choice (in my view) for a jazz band.

Sousaphones are front action, and you may or may not (??) find the hand position to be just as uncomfortable as with front action upright tubas.