it was meant as a compliment, i'm sure but....

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Nworbekim

it was meant as a compliment, i'm sure but....

Post by Nworbekim »

this morning, after i stopped practice and went upstairs, my wife asked if i had been playing tuba or euphonium... i asked if it was a good sound, she said yes, it sounded like a loud euphonium.

i guess i'll take that ... :smilie8:

she noticed the difference in the sound from the king 2341 right off. she says they both sound good but it's different.
These users thanked the author Nworbekim for the post:
Doc (Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:32 pm)

Miraphone 186 - King 2341 - JP179B - York & sons 1910 Eb - Meinl Weston 2145 - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
Play it with emotion and play it strong! Don't make a face and they won't know it's wrong!
Three Valves

Re: it was meant as a compliment, i'm sure but....

Post by Three Valves »

My wife has offered surprisingly constructive criticism regarding my tuba playing. :tuba:

Surprising due to the type of criticism I receive about nearly everything else I do. :red:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post (total 2):
Nworbekim (Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:32 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:51 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

One really interesting thing about getting older and being single, is that the men I run into have heard enough times in the past what they mess up on, that they tend to have fixed a lot of it. First time around, they don't want to fix it. Third or fourth time around, they realize they get better results if they do. Most of it has to do with being considerate and not thick-headed, and never EVER tell a woman that what she is feeling is misguided or a wrong reaction. That will not fly, ever. The downside is we're all pretty set in our ways by this age, and prefer separate living spaces *anyway.*
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
djwpe (Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:46 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I need to have my cataracts removed, but I can still focus close-AND-far...just through a "dirty windshield".

Mrs. bloke (I can tell) can't quite hear as well, but she CAN hear PRETTY well, and doesn't want gadgets in her ears.

Since I can't quite see her angry face, and she can't quite hear my insulting words...I guess that's why we get along so well. :teeth:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 4):
Three Valves (Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:54 am) • djwpe (Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:50 pm) • Pauvog1 (Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:59 am) • cjk (Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:15 pm)
djwpe

Post by djwpe »

Mary Ann wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:10 pm One really interesting thing about getting older and being single, is that the men I run into have heard enough times in the past what they mess up on, that they tend to have fixed a lot of it. First time around, they don't want to fix it. Third or fourth time around, they realize they get better results if they do. Most of it has to do with being considerate and not thick-headed, and never EVER tell a woman that what she is feeling is misguided or a wrong reaction. That will not fly, ever. The downside is we're all pretty set in our ways by this age, and prefer separate living spaces *anyway.*
As I recall, you’re "one of us", as in an engineer. As Joe loves to point out, we engineers tend to be an annoying lot, and I’ve come to the conclusion that engineers tend to make lousy boyfriends/husbands, because if someone hands us a problem, we’re hard-wired to hand back a solution. I finally figured out (in my 50’s) that when a woman I’m dating complains about a problem, she doesn’t want me to solve it (at least initially).

Don (engineer for life)
These users thanked the author djwpe for the post (total 3):
Three Valves (Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:30 pm) • Mary Ann (Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:13 am) • nc_amateur_euph (Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:40 pm)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

^^^

The difficulty arises when a woman is an engineer, but she doesn’t stop being a woman. :laugh:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post (total 2):
djwpe (Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:07 pm) • Mary Ann (Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:13 am)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

… so how are you identifying, today ?
Three Valves wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:30 pm ^^^

The difficulty arises when a woman is an engineer, but she doesn’t stop being a woman. :laugh:
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

Criticism can be done in a respectful and constructive manner, or it can be done in an arrogant and malicious manner. The recipient can tell the difference. However...

"A fool is quick-tempered, but a wise person stays calm when insulted."
Proverbs 12:16
acemorgan

Post by acemorgan »

I alternate practice days between my euphonium and small Eb tuba. My wife tells me she usually can't tell which one I'm playing. When I ask how it sounded, she almost always says, "I wasn't really listening."
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce
hrender

Post by hrender »

Applicable Craig Ferguson quote:
There are three things you must always ask yourself before you say anything.

Does this need to be said?
Does this need to be said by me?
Does this need to be said by me now?