Conn 4v BBb at BBC

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
hrender

Conn 4v BBb at BBC

Post by hrender »

Not a Conn guy, but this is an interesting horn.

https://www.baltimorebrasscompany.com/p ... -tuba.aspx

matt g

Re: Conn 4v BBb at BBC

Post by matt g »

Interesting indeed!
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Worth

Post by Worth »

I saw this thread title and had to do a double take, then realized BBC stood for Baltimore Brass Company
:bugeyes: :laugh:
2014 Wisemann 900
2013 Miraphone 188
MikeMason

Post by MikeMason »

The look of it “makes sense “. I’d give it a honk.
Yamaha 621 w/16’’ bell w/Laskey 32h
Miraphone 190 b flat with 20’’ bell.
F Schmidt (b&s) euphonium/searching for mouthpiece
Pensacola symphony principal tuba
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Took me a while to realize this is not the OTHER 4v Conn BBb that is around the same price (and has been there for quite some time)
hrender

Post by hrender »

yah, different horns. Still not sure what the deal is with the other horn. You'd think if it was decent it would be gone by now, but if it's not they'd lower the price to move it. That said the rotary King BBb sat there for years until someone finally bought it.
jtm

Post by jtm »

at least that Scherzer CC seems to still be gone.
These users thanked the author jtm for the post (total 2):
bort2.0 (Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:04 am) • Kontrabasstuba (Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:07 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Kontrabasstuba

Post by Kontrabasstuba »

jtm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:01 am at least that Scherzer CC seems to still be gone.
I was tempted sometimes ... but it's sold now 😉
jtm

Post by jtm »

Kontrabasstuba wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:08 pm
jtm wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:01 am at least that Scherzer CC seems to still be gone.
I was tempted sometimes ... but it's sold now 😉
Do you know anything about those Scherzer Inh. Sander tubas? I have one that appears to be just like it, except for having four valves.
John Morris
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

A post by Louis Kline, on the old board...
A bit of background on Scherzer:

In ca 1900 there was an excellent instrument maker (among many..)in Markneukirchen called "Rino Werkstätte" by its owner, Emil Knoth. His son Kurt Knoth took over in 1935. In the mid 1960s Knoth retired, although I believe some instruments carried his name until the mid 70s and his workshop was taken over by his nephew Johannes Scherzer(he recently turned 80) whos workshop was later "integrated" in the mid 1980s into what became known as B&S. Many fine instruments came out of Scherzer's workshop including several CC tubas. Like many tubas from Markneukirchen in the 60s, it was tuned a bit flat to our modern ears hence the shortened tuning slide on this example. The tuba could have theoretically been ordered with left or right hand 5th valve linkage although mostly with lefthand linkage per local custom. Otherwise the tuba looks to be unaltered and mostly original. To insinuate this tuba or Scherzer had or has anything to do with Cerveny would be uninformed.
cheers
http://forums.chisham.com/viewtopic.php?t=59541
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
Kontrabasstuba (Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:54 pm)
jtm

Post by jtm »

bort2.0 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:01 pm A post by Louis Kline, on the old board...
A bit of background on Scherzer:

In ca 1900 there was an excellent instrument maker (among many..)in Markneukirchen called "Rino Werkstätte" by its owner, Emil Knoth. His son Kurt Knoth took over in 1935. In the mid 1960s Knoth retired, although I believe some instruments carried his name until the mid 70s and his workshop was taken over by his nephew Johannes Scherzer(he recently turned 80) whos workshop was later "integrated" in the mid 1980s into what became known as B&S. Many fine instruments came out of Scherzer's workshop including several CC tubas. Like many tubas from Markneukirchen in the 60s, it was tuned a bit flat to our modern ears hence the shortened tuning slide on this example. The tuba could have theoretically been ordered with left or right hand 5th valve linkage although mostly with lefthand linkage per local custom. Otherwise the tuba looks to be unaltered and mostly original. To insinuate this tuba or Scherzer had or has anything to do with Cerveny would be uninformed.
Thanks. I'd seen that, but this tuba is from Augsburg, so I suspect it's a different Scherzer.
John Morris
hrender

Post by hrender »

Update -- it was gone for a bit, now it's back. Still curious about it, as the dimensions and layout all look very nice.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

Damn! If this had been available a couple of years ago, I would have bought it. Conn should continue to make these horns as they are the most versatile for concert band. Fortunately, in the vacuum, Jupiter makes the JTU1110, which is essentially the same tuba, and is what I play now. The Cyborg does not have a clue how much business they are losing by not maintaining this model: essentially the same valve block with the same bore and superlative tone as their famous sousaphones, which they could sell enough to keep the price down.
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Conn 4v BBb at BBC

Post by Rick Denney »

I think the cyborg have a very good idea of what they are missing. I doubt modern tubas make more actual dollars than modern trumpets, but they cost a lot more to make.

Scherzer’s predecessor Knoth was apparently the standard pro F tuba in the Second World before the Symphonie came out.

Rick “intonation? We don’t need no steeenkin intonation” Denney
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort2.0 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:02 pm Took me a while to realize this is not the OTHER 4v Conn BBb that is around the same price (and has been there for quite some time)
1 year and counting for this one...
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
matt g

Post by matt g »

Rick Denney wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:12 am I think the cyborg have a very good idea of what they are missing. I doubt modern tubas make more actual dollars than modern trumpets, but they cost a lot more to make.
That’s why I was shocked Yamaha rolled out a new tuba recently. Margin on smaller winds are typically better along with simple volume of sales. Add to that machinery and tooling costs… it’s a shock tubas are made anywhere but China.

Speaking of which, I wonder how easy it’s going to be, moving forward, to get the Chinese factories to build new models to a spec? As in, I’d reckon that if you showed up at a factory now with the Conn above, they’d pass on trying to copy it without a significant upfront investment.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
internalanarchy

Post by internalanarchy »

I'm guessing terrible intonation is why it is still listed?