Reynolds 5/4 BBb leadpipe replacement

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
Breavdah

Reynolds 5/4 BBb leadpipe replacement

Post by Breavdah »

Is there an established recipe to make a new leadpipe for a Reynolds 5/4 BBb? The factory one, or possibly ill conceived previous replacement, has a really tight opening under .500" OD at the receiver. Which is as bad as sousaphone bits, and I think has a similar effect of making it "crunch" or "compress" a bit early as you build volume. Gotta wonder how it works with a more normal setup.

I'm not doing this myself, but if I know the right parts to ask for it should go better. I'm wondering the best receiver to use, if a stock bendable leadpipe that repair shops tend to carry is good enough, and brace vs solder to bell stack.

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Reynolds 5/4 BBb leadpipe replacement

Post by bloke »

The long skinny generic allied supply mouthpipe work out perfectly. I made a replacement for a Reynolds 5/4 that I have for sale right now. I haven’t marketed that tuba very aggressively at all, which - duh - is probably why it hasn’t sold.
Breavdah

Post by Breavdah »

bloke wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:24 am The long skinny generic allied supply mouthpipe work out perfectly. I made a replacement for a Reynolds 5/4 that I have for sale right now. I haven’t marketed that tuba very aggressively at all, which - duh - is probably why it hasn’t sold.
Thanks, that's good news. And is there a good receiver to use? Something like 0.560 starting OD regular shank?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'd would probably work my way BACKWARDS (Isn't the large end of that generic 'pipe right at 11/16 i.d. ?) and choose a receiver based on what you end up with as the i.d. of the small end.

Doesn't Allied Supply also offer a generic receiver that resembles a plain ol' not-particularly-large-back-end Olds receiver?