BE CAREFUL with WTB posts

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
LeMark
Site Admin

BE CAREFUL with WTB posts

Post by LeMark »

I'd like to take this moment to remind everyone that no matter how many times we can ban that same scammers, Do NOT buy anything from ANYONE, that happens to join the forum and PM you the same day saying they have exactly what you want in your WTB posts.

They steal photos from ebay and other sites and mail them to you, and claim to have what you need. Be very careful, always ask for extra photos, and NEVER remove your buyer protection from Paypal by sending money as "friends and family"

Just... Don't.

if someone happens to PM you and you are suspicions, forward the PM to me

Mark
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 6):
bloke (Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:26 pm) • the elephant (Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:43 pm) • matt g (Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:12 pm) • Jperry1466 (Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:15 pm) • ParLawGod (Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:11 pm) and one more user

Yep, I'm Mark
bort2.0

Re: BE CAREFUL with WTB posts

Post by bort2.0 »

Side note: it's always something like "hey, Johny just got one of these in. Contact him at..."

That dude has everything! :eyes:
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
ParLawGod (Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:11 pm)
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

Wise words indeed....
matt g

Post by matt g »

Also, don’t be afraid to flag posts that might be suspicious from people that show up and start listing random items for sale.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post (total 2):
ParLawGod (Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:11 pm) • bloke (Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:12 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I participate in a firearms forum, and this is the biggest scam we have.

You can list the most obscure item imaginable, and within minutes you get an email from someone whose friend 'Harry" has that very part.
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Boomer wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:12 pm You can list the most obscure item imaginable, and within minutes you get an email from someone whose friend 'Harry" has that very part.
Happens all the time on Craigslist too. Be careful!
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (Trombone/Board)
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

But does he have a left handed muffler bearing?
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

What I have done that was effective was to request to get on Zoom while they show me the item of interest. I recently bought a tuba from someone here (not a new member but someone who has been on here for a long time, but STILL -- I wanted to make sure of what it was since I'm not going to pay shipping just for a playtest.) We got on Zoom, he played it for me and showed me what I needed to know to my satisfaction, everything went smoothly, and I have my Eb tuba.

Another tuba that I DIDN'T buy was one offered on Facebook, but when it came time to show it to me on Zoom, it was always "tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow" and "just send me $400 bucks and your shipping address." There was even a "friend" who came in and said yeah he's a good guy, I'm familiar with the tuba, and it's a good one... but no Zoom. Um -- nope. I really like the Zoom idea; if they have it, they can show it to you in real time, and if they are a real tuba player, they can play it for you in real time. And if it is your Zoom, you can record it and have it as evidence should the need arise, and most will not be so brazen as to get on Zoom, play it for you, take your money, and then not send it. Even if it's not your Zoom you can still at least somewhat record it with your phone looking at the computer screen. And if they won't / can't, they are scamming you.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post (total 2):
davidgilbreath (Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:11 am) • Nworbekim (Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:43 am)
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

More than all the above, everyone must remember that a WTB post is an invitation to negotiate, not a done deal. You are not obligated until you positively commit. As above, if you post, and you get a response, do all your due diligence first before committing to buy. Then in this internet age, use a payment vehicle that will back you up if the transaction goes awry.
These users thanked the author iiipopes for the post:
Mary Ann (Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:38 am)
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

bort2.0 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:23 pmThat dude has everything!