Shoulder replacement

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Jperry1466

Shoulder replacement

Post by Jperry1466 »

Anyone else had this done? I damaged my right shoulder so badly 3 years ago that the surgeon had to use bovine tissue to try to put the rotator cuff back together; it didn't heal right. So last week he did a total Reverse shoulder replacement. He says this will be a quicker recovery than one that has to give time for said rotator cuff to heal - basically, the ball is screwed into my shoulder and the socket is driven down into my arm bone. He says I will have full range of motion (mostly) but not the strength I used to have. For a while, I will have to ask someone to set my tuba in my lap. I asked if I will be able to shoot a rifle - yes, no problem; can I pick up a 50 lb. feed sack - yes, but not over your head (I feed cattle, not giraffes). I have a lightweight 3/4 BBb that I can get by with for a while but wonder how long before I can be independent with my 4/4 again. :tuba:
These users thanked the author Jperry1466 for the post:
the elephant (Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:52 am)

DonO.

Re: Shoulder replacement

Post by DonO. »

No, I haven’t had this done, but I’m considering something like it because the arthritis in my left shoulder has gotten so bad. But not being a medical expert, I still don’t see why you should have any problems. You’ve been told you could still lift 50 pounds, and a tuba usually weighs in at 20-something. You only have to lift in onto your lap, and then your lap holds the majority of the weight. Plus, your right hand doesn’t hold much weight at all because it has to be free for fingering. The weight is balanced with the left hand/arm. So, in my non-expert opinion, I think you will be just fine.
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post:
Jperry1466 (Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:00 pm)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Wishing @Jperry1466 a speedy recovery. You too @DonO. if you go that route.
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post:
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

I haven't had this surgery either, however, I have a friend in NC that just had it done on Tuesday of last week. While she has had severe pain initially, she has already said that she's turned the corner pain-wise, and is feeling much better. She's out walking her dog and taking walks around a local park.

I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, and both of the tears were severe. The pain was excruciating and the full recovery time was about a year for each. (The docs tell you it's a six month recovery time. That's BS!!) PT was extremely important and helpful, but the pain index was off the charts!! I'm very interested in following her recovery.... and yours, having experienced the traditional surgery.

This appears to be the newest technique and it seems to offer more benefits than the traditional surgery..... at least in regards to specific types of shoulder arthritis injury/damage.

Knowing what I went through, I wish you the very best, and a very speedy recovery. Ice packs and pain pills will be your new best friends for awhile!!

Take care, and don't be in a hurry to get active again. Everyone's body is different. It's gonna take a certain amount of time to heal, and that can't be rushed. You can do it efficiently, but don't overdo it.
These users thanked the author Paulver for the post: