NON-Yamaha cheap soprano baroque recorders

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

NON-Yamaha cheap soprano baroque recorders

Post by bloke »

If you have taught elementary music and/or are a cheap recorder aficionado…

Specifically and only from these NOT-Yamaha brands of cheap plastic recorders, which one have you used that you liked OK?

Telleno

Lauren

Angel

Tudor

Cambridge

iiipopes

Re: NON-Yamaha cheap soprano baroque recorders

Post by iiipopes »

I know songflute is not on your list, but because of its ubiquity, I offer these comments.

Because of the split-fingered "f" note on a recorder, other relatively complex fingerings, and other reasons, including the fact that when I started band in the early 70's plastic recorders really were not available, and "real" recorders were so expensive, my band director started pre-band students on the old plastic Conn Songflutes, which are still being made. Conventional diatonic range: middle c to 4th line d with added f sharp and b flat.
Pros: easy to get a sound and learn the fingerings, cheap to purchase, don't have to tune a mouthpiece joint.
Cons: not fully chromatic, no upper octave as with a recorder, have to relearn fingerings when transitioning to conventional woodwinds, for example, the 3rd line b halfstep up to c: open a finger on a songflute; switch fingers or use the 2nd right hand side key on a saxophone; easy to overblow - but so is a recorder in the lower range without a good embouchure and measured breath support; no mouthpiece joint to tune to others.

All that said, I kept my songflute and taught myself how to force some of the other chromatic notes; but due to the physical characteristics, no way to get a next octave or otherwise expand the range.
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I completely expected non-useful information right off the bat... :smilie8: :thumbsup:

...including things such as "which types of bike tires are best for all-terrain riding", etc.
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Laurens are awful. Angels are pretty good. And I know you didn’t ask, but Aulos blows everyone else out of the water. Twice the price though.
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post:
bloke (Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:55 pm)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yep...

I'm shopping for a gob of recorders (for a friend) ONLY in the "ketchup-priced" range...and out of one particular jobber's catalog.

Aulos is in there, but (as you already know) is Heinz-priced.
MShores
Has thanked: 0

Post by MShores »

From that list, I have purchased Angel recorders for my students. They sounded fine but the clear plastic cases they came with ripped and fell apart almost instantly. I now use Harmony recorders because they come with a canvas drawstring bag. Playing characteristics were essentially the same. In tune enough for regular classroom instruction. And I’m a former middle school and high school band director that still teaches proper playing techniques so I pay attention to intonation.

Not sure if that helps.
These users thanked the author MShores for the post:
bloke (Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:18 am)
acemorgan

Post by acemorgan »

bloke wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:33 am I completely expected non-useful information right off the bat... :smilie8: :thumbsup:

...including things such as "which types of bike tires are best for all-terrain riding", etc.
To properly address this, the real question is, "Does your peloton include a bass trombonist?" Otherwise, you're just guessing.
These users thanked the author acemorgan for the post (total 2):
Rick Denney (Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:50 am) • jtm (Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:55 am)
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Well, actually I prefer street tires on my bikes because I don't go off road with them.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
bloke (Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:17 am)
jtm

Post by jtm »

I looked up some Aulos recorders, since I don't want a tenor recorder enough to buy a good wood one, and was intrigued to see that they also sell clip-on thumb rests. That must make it much easier to play when biking off road.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
sdloveless

Post by sdloveless »

bloke wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:33 am I completely expected non-useful information right off the bat... :smilie8: :thumbsup:

The most useful non-useful information I can offer is: don't buy knobby tires. Just ride whatever bike you have with whatever tires are on it, even off road. Besides, the knobbies create a "hum" on pavement, which might not be in tune with your recorder.
Scott Loveless
Pennsylvania, USA
1939 King 1240, JP179B
"When life knocks you down, stay there and take a nap."
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

jtm wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:58 am I looked up some Aulos recorders, since I don't want a tenor recorder enough to buy a good wood one, and was intrigued to see that they also sell clip-on thumb rests. That must make it much easier to play when biking off road.
If that included a handlebar mount, it could double as an alarm-whistle...Just tilt fipple into the wind, whenever an urgent situation rears its head.