Cleaning solution for Quick horn Rinse?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
LeMark
Site Admin

Cleaning solution for Quick horn Rinse?

Post by LeMark »

So I have that quick horn rinse device that I bought 3 years ago and never used because in the move to the new house I lost the bottle of solution that came with it.

I looked on their website and I'm not seeing any mention of a cleaning solution for sale, so I'm assuming I can use stuff that I can get around the house?

What should I use?
Simple green? (non toxic)
Dawn?
Vinegar? (non toxic)
409?

I of course know that whatever I use has to be flushed out completely

Yep, I'm Mark
bone-a-phone

Re: Cleaning solution for Quick horn Rinse?

Post by bone-a-phone »

I do a fair bit of instrument cleaning, and my bottle of Dawn sits right there in the shower. It comes out easily, it doesn't stink (409 and simple green smell bad).

The only stronger thing than Dawn I use is a little alcohol if I think I got something with corona or bought something from a student, or it smells bad, or if I've been sick while playing, etc... Although I have used vinegar to soak valve bodies if they have crud in them.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

For lime and a home remedy,
~cleaning~ vinegar (20% more acidic than regular white vinegar)…but it’s not very acidic compared to chemicals, so it’s going to take longer than what I would call a “rinse”.
For nasty sludge, it doesn’t matter what detergent you use, but hotter water and higher velocity works better than colder water and low velocity, if you are “rinsing“.

A VERY strong cleaner is name-branded “Purple Power“, and an even stronger one - possibly in the same family - is called “Super Clean“. They are both at Walmart.
I use “Super Clean” to strip the oil stain off of my log house, when I refinish it.
Last edited by bloke on Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I think I've used the purple stuff on my garage activists before. It worked great, but I would want to flush for a long time if I used it.
Yep, I'm Mark
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

LeMark wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm I think I've used the purple stuff on my garage activists before. It worked great, but I would want to flush for a long time if I used it.
You have "garage activists"?

Yikes, that must get interesting! :laugh:
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

I use the orange/citrus scented version of Dawn. It seems to clean the crud out fine and leaves the horn smelling nice. :teeth:
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

York-aholic wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:40 pm
LeMark wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm I think I've used the purple stuff on my garage activists before. It worked great, but I would want to flush for a long time if I used it.
You have "garage activists"?

Yikes, that must get interesting! :laugh:

Oops
Activities!
Yep, I'm Mark
Doc

Post by Doc »

LeMark wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:58 pm So I have that quick horn rinse device that I bought 3 years ago and never used because in the move to the new house I lost the bottle of solution that came with it.

I looked on their website and I'm not seeing any mention of a cleaning solution for sale, so I'm assuming I can use stuff that I can get around the house?

What should I use?
Simple green? (non toxic)
Dawn?
Vinegar? (non toxic)
409?

I of course know that whatever I use has to be flushed out completely
I haven't looked to see if these are still made, but I have wanted to try one since I first saw it. Let us know how it works!
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
tbonesullivan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tbonesullivan »

bloke wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:13 pmA VERY strong cleaner is name-branded “Purple Power“, and an even stronger one - possibly in the same family - is called “Super Clean“. They are both at Walmart.
I use “Super Clean” to strip the oil stain off of my log house, when I refinish it.
If that is Castrol "Super Clean", that is one serious detergent. It can easily strip paint, and is usually used to degrease automotive parts, such as the exterior of engine blocks. I have some for getting the gunk off of my motorcycle, and it also works quite well when diluted for cleaning other things.
Yamaha YBB-631S BBb Tuba, B&H Imperial Eb Tuba, Sterling / Perantucci 1065GHS Euphonium
Yamaha YBL-612 RII & YBL-613H Bass Trombones and a bunch of other trombones