King Bari/Euph

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
hrender

King Bari/Euph

Post by hrender »

Finetales

Re: King Bari/Euph

Post by Finetales »

I saw that. Love the big J bend in the 4th valve slide.

To be precise, this is a model 1173 "Improved Model Baritone", with the standard 3-valve model being the 1172 and the front action versions being the 1170 and 1171. I don't care much for American baritones/euphs, but this one looks cool enough that I've thought about bidding.
I mostly play the slidey thing.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

OTOH, I respectfully take the opposite view. With the slightly smaller bore than most modern euphs, I find the "American" hybrid bari/euph, as exemplified by this one and all the bell-front models from whatever manufacturer, in a typical concert band setting, to provide good support to both brass and woodwinds, especially when doubled with something like, for example, tenor sax, and the octave to tuba parts. It can do anything well and blend from "4th bone" parts to classic march countermelodies to providing texture to the entire band. I find American hybrid bari/euph horns work best with a Wick Ultra 6, which is essentially a 6 1/2 AL with a deeper cup and a slightly different throat/backbore geometry. This alleviates the graininess that can occur in the lower register with these horns, keeps the middle register very lyrical indeed, and you can put enough air through it to secure the upper register.
These users thanked the author iiipopes for the post:
Ace (Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:47 am)
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

I wanted to believe those things were cool once, and bought one. Fortunately the guy had misrepresented it as a compensating euphonium. It was horribly out of tune, and I just sent it back. I wanted to love it, but it just didn't work out. Cool looking horns, but miserably out of tune.
These users thanked the author bone-a-phone for the post:
bloke (Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:49 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

@bone-a-phone
Based on my experience with a three-valve version… Yep.