more crap repair...no "during" pics...warning: boring

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
bloke
Mid South Music

more crap repair...no "during" pics...warning: boring

Post by bloke »

This was one of those epically-smashed-bell, smashed-bottom-bow, smashed-upper-bow, smashed-inner-bow tubas, chewed-up #3 lower slide bow (obviously: a Conn 5J) missing a thumb ring, a stem, and a button...and (OF COURSE !!) a loose receiver brace...

The band director has $10K in flux (messy situation with "boosters", which he and the principal just had dissolved, because they were putting "conditions" on raised monies) and doesn't have access to those funds (yet)...so he asked me to fix FOUR beat-up marching baritones AND this tuba...all for $500...plus pick-up/delivery.

OK...Do I want $500 or not...??

...so I hurried the HELL out of this job (45 minutes, maybe...??)
The dent removal all looks like amateurish crap...BUT (yes?) it "looks like" a tuba (from a galloping horse), and plays like a 5J (not my favorite, but it makes "tuba sounds").

I have a good-paying funeral to play (down in Mississippi) tomorrow, so I'm delivering TWO schools piles of repaired cr@p today...and (oh yeah...) I'm going to meet a Mississippi-person TOMORROW (on the way back from the funeral gig) and hand them their repaired Willson 2900...(see...?? I'm "green", and am REDUCING my customer's "carbon footprint" :eyes: )

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: more crap repair...no "during" pics...warning: boring

Post by LeMark »

For quick and budget minded repairs, do you ever use magents?
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LeMark wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:56 am For quick and budget minded repairs, do you ever use magents?
HAIL yeah !!! :laugh:

...but I NEVER use handles on them...just fingers...and the ONLY thing that offers ANY hope (with the ridiculous types of dents that were in this thing) is a PAIR of STACKED 1" magnets with a oblong solid steel ball that is over 2 inches in diameter and probably weighs at least three pounds.

As I've suggested before, I suspect that my fingers/wrist/forearm are somewhat stronger than most folks'...I've encountered more than one or two big muscle-bound young guys (who "work out") who are incapable of breaking loose stuck bolts.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

The good news. If I take off the bow guard, I can get major dents out of a tuba bow with my 3 inch steel ball and 225# pull magnet

The bad news. I suck at putting bow guards back on.
Yep, I'm Mark
matt g

Post by matt g »

45 minutes and you likely doubled the value of that poor 5J.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

bloke wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:57 am
LeMark wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:56 am For quick and budget minded repairs, do you ever use magents?
HAIL yeah !!! :laugh:

...but I NEVER use handles on them...just fingers...and the ONLY thing that offers ANY hope (with the ridiculous types of dents that were in this thing) is a PAIR of STACKED 1" magnets with a oblong solid steel ball that is over 2 inches in diameter and probably weighs at least three pounds.

As I've suggested before, I suspect that my fingers/wrist/forearm are somewhat stronger than most folks'...I've encountered more than one or two big muscle-bound young guys (who "work out") who are incapable of breaking loose stuck bolts.
Given the budget constraints you were working against, I'd say you did a fine job and some kid will get to make tuba sounds for awhile until they smash it up again...

So the oblong ball you used for that was sort of oval (in 2D) rather than a circle, correct? That probably allows the 'ball' to sneak up and start on the dent easier than if using a spherical ball, right. So it slides along inside, rather than rolling along...

Stuck bolts? I remember using an 8' cheater bar on a couple of big bolts on a D9 Cat Dozer. Does that count?
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Out of curiosity, are replacement bells on these horns pointless to buy? As in, are you better off just buying a new horn rather than replacing the bell?

My 12J has a beat-up bell, and I've been told the metal isn't in any shape to have it rolled out any better than it is...and I've been told the above. I like the horn for my strolling/commercial jobs, though. And parts horns are usually JUST that because of the bell.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If you’re 12J bell isn’t work-hardened - and isn’t all cracked up, I don’t see why it shouldn’t be fixed again. I’ve ironed out some very very chewed up bells…included Bach Stradivarius trumpet bells that looked like they were chewed up with someone’s teeth during a four hour movie…and made them look like they were new. I also took one of those 14 inch Jimbo 184 copy bells - that felt like an accordion because it was so creased, and it stiffened right back up when I smoothed it all out..
The main reason brass is used to make these instruments, is (not its “resonance qualities”, but) because it is so very malleable.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

It's currently fine, not 100% even (which isn't a big deal), but I've been told that if it needs to be rolled out again, the flare will just fall off, because the metal is too thin. I'm just going to leave it as is for now, but if it gets bad, I was thinking about it.

Your explanation makes sense, though. Thanks!
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
iiipopes

...warning: boring

Post by iiipopes »

Boring? Oh, my, compared to a Bach trumpet, this is downright entertaining. :smilie7:
Jupiter JTU1110
"Real" Conn 36K
Klier 4B Classic
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

Here's hoping that when that band director breaks loose some of that frozen cash, a wad of it gets sent you you attached to a reasonable repair which could be completed in a reasonable amount of time.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The Big Ben wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:41 pm Here's hoping that when that band director breaks loose some of that frozen cash, a wad of it gets sent you you attached to a reasonable repair which could be completed in a reasonable amount of time.
dank