Gard bags

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
ole_irgens

Gard bags

Post by ole_irgens »

Hiya folks,

I am happy to recommend Gard Bags for your horn. They are solid, can be padded on the inside for extra protection and are quite comfortable to wear. Not too pricey either - I would say in the range of the Goetz Supersac, but far below the Chronkite. I paid €350 for my latest Gard bag, the 62-MSK, which fitted my 4/4 JP-horn perfectly.

I have no affiliation with the company, I am just a happy customer.

And of course, I know all about the pros and cons of using a gigbag instead of a hard shell case. You just have to be extra careful, that's all.

--
Ole Irgens
JP379CC Sterling
Besson Sovereign Eb
Principal tuba, Alvøen Concert Band
Eb tuba, Laksevåg Brass Band
Bergen, Norway
Stryk

Re: Gard bags

Post by Stryk »

I have two Gard Wheelie bags and have NOTHING bad to say about them. I don't foresee every using anything else for horns I take to gigs or rehearsals.
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

The "medium" fits my Mack 210 snugly, but not too tight.

No room for most the extra padding, I keep the small block in front for paddle protection.

Fits, works, looks good.

:tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Are there any reliable online listings of interior dimensions of the various sizes offered?
ole_irgens

Post by ole_irgens »

bloke wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:01 am Are there any reliable online listings of interior dimensions of the various sizes offered?
https://www.gardbags.com/en/brasswind/tuba is as close as you get, I guess.
--
Ole Irgens
JP379CC Sterling
Besson Sovereign Eb
Bergen, Norway
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I believe an issue has been that - when length and bell diameter are accurate - "body girth" (nor "these popular models fit this bag:" are not listed, and the "girth" - sometimes, with this make - is a bit stingy for common models.

...no negative comments whatsoever regarding quality of construction...
ole_irgens

Post by ole_irgens »

bloke wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:10 pm I believe an issue has been that - when length and bell diameter are accurate - "body girth" (nor "these popular models fit this bag:" are not listed, and the "girth" - sometimes, with this make - is a bit stingy for common models.

...no negative comments whatsoever regarding quality of construction...
I agree, and here you have to apply the "try before you buy"-principle. My gig bag dealer offers free return on non-fitting items (actually, thanks to norwegian consumer legislation, you are entitled to return ANY item bought on mail order/webshops within 14 days and get a full refund). If you have trouble with your girth being oversized, the process of finding the right sized bag can of course be a bit time-consuming and tedious.
--
Ole Irgens
JP379CC Sterling
Besson Sovereign Eb
Bergen, Norway
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

redundancy on my part, so this is my final comment...

Lists of "examples of models tubas this particular bag will fit" would - likely - result in greatly increased sales.
GC

Post by GC »

I goofed when I bought mine. I got the small bag because the specs said it fit "up to" the height of my Packer/Sterling JP377 comp Eb, but I found out that putting the padding under the bottom bow like it shows in the pictures makes the bell stand out about 2-1/2" above the zipper. For a 981/982 style clone like the Packer, I should have bought the medium bag. I also ended up taking out all the movable internal padding other than the bell filler because it kept hanging up on the valve tubing putting it in the bag. I don't bang it into stuff, so the bag is good enough protection without the padding.

Also, the front pocket is not large enough to hold the standard leatherette band folders that are so common today and will only hold smaller folders. The bag also has a lower zippered compartment that holds a rain cover. I took it out, pulled it loose from the velcroed strip that's made to keep the rain cover from coming loose, and immediately got the attachment strip hung in the zipper. I was going to use the lower pouch for valve oil and mouthpieces. Can't now. User error. :wall:

Outside of my mistakes, it's a decently made bag, heavy fabric, well stitched, handles and straps all in the right places, solidly made, nicely lined. The inside movable padding is okay if that's your thing and if you have the right sized bag. I may replace it with a side zipper bag, though. Anyone have any suggestions for this type bag that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Any comments of the Wessex bags?
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
scottw

Post by scottw »

GC wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:10 pm I may replace it with a side zipper bag, though. Anyone have any suggestions for this type bag that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Any comments of the Wessex bags?
I have a Wessex bag for my 186. It provides pretty good protection, but it is just so WIDE! There is too much slop inside that I have a couple cushions insidento pick up the slack; this I am told is due to the fact that Wessex bags are custom designed for their tubas and if they coincidentally fit my 186 --sorta--, then good. The price is very good, and, as I said, the protection is,too. They also stand behind their bags: a strap broke, sending the bottom bow into the ground, denting it pretty good. I contacted them and they said to get it fixed and send them the bill. Can't beat the service.
Bearin' up!
GC

Post by GC »

Thanks for the info. Jonathan sent me a reply (he's always very quick) to my question about the availability of the bag that would fit my horn, and he said that they're out of stock till February 2021. I like their design and may wait for one. I'll keep my eye open for other goodies, though.
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone