Alexander mouthpiece collection

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
bort2.0

Alexander mouthpiece collection

Post by bort2.0 »

I need to clean off my desk....it's been a year since I've let go of my Alexander, so it's time.

I've got a small collection of Alexander mouthpieces to move along. I'm selling only as a lot of 4 mouthpieces, I'm not interested to split them up. I don't really have time to measure all of them... but IMO, they are all likely more collector's items than users, and if you know, you know.

1) "The really big one" with the huge shank and huge diameter rim. Gold plated (dull, but not worn through anywhere). Some dings on the rim, but nothing tragic. I don't know, 7/10 condition?

2) Smaller tuba mouthpiece, silver plated. Small ding on shank and side of rim. Otherwise in nice shape. 8/10

3) Slightly smaller diameter than #2 and smaller shank size. I don't know what finish this is, either REALLY worn down gold plating, or maybe it's just nickel silver or...? No clue. But basically looks like really dull silver plating, except it isn't. Some small nicks on the rim, let's say 8/10?

4) Small mouthpiece -- not sure what it's for, bariton or tenor horn? Looks a little smaller than a trombone mouthpiece to me.

Price is $120 ($100 + $20 shipping), shipped via USPS Priority Mail within the lower 48. Shipping to other locations at cost ($100 plus actual shipping cost). :tuba:

bort2.0

Re: Alexander mouthpiece collection

Post by bort2.0 »

Sold
Chris Mayer
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Re: Alexander mouthpiece collection

Post by Chris Mayer »

Hi Bort 2.0 and the new owner of the Alexander Mouthpiece Collection,

please find attached some specs of the Alexander Tuba Mouthpieces from a 1984 Gebr. Alexander Mainz catalogue. As this info is getting more and more difficult to come by, I thought sharing the specs of the mouthpieces might be interesting.

For the B Tuba and Kaisertuba specs, the header of the Es-F Tuba list will repeat (Kessel ø: inner cup diameter in mm, Bohrg. ø: bore diameter in mm., Kesseltiefe: cup depth F (flach): shallow, MF (mittel flach): medium shallow, MT (mitteltief): medium deep, T (tief): deep, Randbreite: rim width MB (mittelbreit): medium broad).

Specs are very different than todays mouthpieces. :tuba: There must have been a sound concept behind it (probably different than today), and I cannot think that they did not know, how to do better. Tooted a 33 back in 1983 on an Alex 163 Bb but cannot recall how it played other than different (more “lively”, different air support, “larger” cup diameter) compared to my Bach 24 AW I played in those days.

best

Chris
Attachments
Alexander Mouthpieces
Alexander Mouthpieces
5C3BA45A-9AA5-4F31-A606-F000104050D4.jpeg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 296 times
Alexander Mouthpieces
Alexander Mouthpieces
4D627B53-8D9E-4820-9E63-82EE10ACFD94.jpeg (29.93 KiB) Viewed 296 times