TubaChristmas 2020

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

TubaChristmas 2020

Post by bort2.0 »

In this thread, guess the probability that your local TubaChristmas will be held in some way in 2020.

St Paul... 0% chance. Huge group overflowing in a church? Forget it!

And even if they did try something ... Forget it!

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: TubaChristmas 2020

Post by LeMark »

It's hard to imagine how it's going to happen anywhere
Yep, I'm Mark
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I know, right?

The TC website says it's a go, haha. So... I guess someone somewhere thinks it could happen. Or something.

I'd like to just sit in a street corner and play some carols, but I'm worried people will toss coins in the bell. Guess I could stand though...?
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

I don't see it happening here. I hope I'm wrong.
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

Our local TubaChristmas organizer/coordinator says he wants it to happen; just not sure what it will look like yet. That doesn't tell us anything other than he has hope for at least something small.
scottw

Post by scottw »

bort2.0 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:23 pm I know, right?

The TC website says it's a go, haha. So... I guess someone somewhere thinks it could happen. Or something.

I'd like to just sit in a street corner and play some carols, but I'm worried people will toss coins in the bell. Guess I could stand though...?
Not to worry--you'll be using your approved covid bell covers--problem solved!
Bearin' up!
humBell

Post by humBell »

One local TubaChristmas (my first and favorite) polled its participants (30ish) to see if they were willing to play out doors a little while back. So...

Maybe?
"All art is one." -Hal
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

that's all we do here, is outdoor TC. But it's a lot of people shoulder to shoulder, huge crowds, at least at the Dallas one. It's not really an option to spread out in Dallas unless very few people show up

my whole family played this year, 4 of us. See if you can spot me. Really really tall guy, small Eb tuba

Yep, I'm Mark
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Outdoor TC is so much more fun than indoor TC... But December in Minnesota? Maybe not
humBell

Post by humBell »

A few years ago, folk running the Boston Tuba Christmas on a rainy day talked their way into the second floor of Quincy Market next to the hole down to the first floor so everyone could hear us. We finished it, but apparently never again. Shop owners were not pleased.

(Not as good a story as i heard about the Mall of America as i hear tell.)

But yeah, Boston is coastal enough, i been in parades as late in the year as most of the local TubaChristmases, so outside may not exactly be comfortable around here, but most of the time the valves aren't in danger of freezing.
"All art is one." -Hal
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

I did the TC in NYC a few years. Most were chilly and calm. My last one was about 35 degrees and lots of rain. Not so much fun. But, beer afterwards, so all was good.

The real reason I stopped attending the NYC event was that the NY Phil brass quintet Christmas concert was always the same day. I loved that show, and my wife always got tickets for me. Was much more fun to go to that instead.

"Beer before vs beer afterwards" :)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Also, TC in Baltimore could be kind of bad as well. Cold and rainy is not fun, and it would get moved indoors to a nearby shopping mall downtown. But, I think that was a known and anticipated contingency plan.

I work for a company based outside of Boston. Travel there in winter is unpredictable, and always far colder than it seems like it will be. Those coastal cold winter days ... Again, seem worse than the 0 degree and sunny Minnesota days!
KorKoro
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KorKoro »

New Carlisle, IN -- November 30. Most fun one I've been to. (Make sure to bring your beer styne)

Traverse City, MI -- December 5. Traverse City is now cancelled.

If all goes well with my camper build I'll head South and hit Cape Girardeau, MO on December 12 and Austin, TX on December 21. Don't know if any will actually be a go, but they're on the Tuba Christmas website.

By the way, I don't know how cold it was at performance time, but the forecast for a Charlevoix (unofficial) Tuba Christmas and Kalamazoo New Year's Eve Tuba Christmas a few years ago was below zero and outdoors. After the Kalamazoo performance is when I decided I needed a plastic mouthpiece. I couldn't keep ice from forming on my mouthpiece between songs.

KorKoro
Last edited by KorKoro on Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Brett (and others in MN),
I'll let you know what we're doing in Brainerd as soon as I find out. Usually around 30 low brass, always in the food court of a mall, plenty of room available and no wind to blow your music away. Probably should do lunch at the Black Bear afterwards, eh?
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
djwpe

Post by djwpe »

bort2.0 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:13 am I did the TC in NYC a few years. Most were chilly and calm. My last one was about 35 degrees and lots of rain. Not so much fun. But, beer afterwards, so all was good.

The real reason I stopped attending the NYC event was that the NY Phil brass quintet Christmas concert was always the same day. I loved that show, and my wife always got tickets for me. Was much more fun to go to that instead.

My last NYC TC was a rainy one as well, 2009 or 2010. Miserable day. Music fell apart, and the conductor didn’t leave enough time to get the book out of the plastic bag and back in to turn pages.
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

Did a TC a few years back in Ventura, CA. About 30 or so players outside in a light mist. Had a great time. Met a professional player by the name of William Roper there. Said he preferred the smaller venues as he couldn’t stand the egos of the larger ones such as L.A.’s.
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

LeMark wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:21 pm It's hard to imagine how it's going to happen anywhere
What are you??

A nattering naybob of negativity??

:slap:

:laugh:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

They have already cancelled TMEA for next February. I'm just hoping I can take my trip to Europe in March.
Yep, I'm Mark
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

djwpe wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:10 am
bort2.0 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:13 am I did the TC in NYC a few years. Most were chilly and calm. My last one was about 35 degrees and lots of rain. Not so much fun. But, beer afterwards, so all was good.

My last NYC TC was a rainy one as well, 2009 or 2010. Miserable day. Music fell apart, and the conductor didn’t leave enough time to get the book out of the plastic bag and back in to turn pages.
Wow, maybe it was 2010 then. Yes, it was miserable. Every song or two, I had to pour water out of my bell. Was wet and slippery to hold my tuba. Probably had my Mira 1291 at that time, so not the most fun thing to hold up in the rain.

Memories... :)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

LeMark wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:55 am They have already cancelled TMEA for next February. I'm just hoping I can take my trip to Europe in March.
I hope so, too. A lot could happen between now and then.

I forget, are we allowed to even go to Canada right now?