New Dillon 995 has arrived

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
TriStateFans

New Dillon 995 has arrived

Post by TriStateFans »

My new Dillon 995 BBb arrived Friday (I just got it today... I was away and it was delivered to my workplace which didn't notify me that I had a giant box show up).

For the last month I've been looking around for a basic, starter Bb to get back into playing, and I've contacted several sources (many from here) and basically got the old "nothing in stock" that seems to be quite common right now. I do appreciate you good peeps taking the time to talk with me, and I will remember you at upgrade time.

After searching out the used market (I don't feel comfortable buying a used horn except from somebody I trust, which is definitely not some rando "on the bay") I saw that Dillon had a 995 in stock. For those not familiar it's a 7/8 horn (their description, not mine) with a hard case, priced at $1200, targeted at students and beginners.

Everybody here knows the type of horn it is, it's an inexpensive import that plays notes out the bell... and that's about that.

Good enough for re-learning on.

I talked to the local band director (I live in a tiny school district in a tiny county in a very rural area) and the local school's equipment is 30+ years old and that's 30+ "students" years. SO... long story short if/when I upgrade or decide to switch instruments to euphonium (still under consideration) I'll donate this to them, it will live it's life teaching youngsters how to play.

Unboxing pictures? Of course. NOTE: Dillon did a fantastic job of packaging it, and shipping was fast. Highly recommended.
IMG_6727.JPG
IMG_6727.JPG (93.67 KiB) Viewed 914 times
IMG_6736.JPG
IMG_6736.JPG (101.07 KiB) Viewed 914 times
IMG_6737.JPG
IMG_6737.JPG (110.74 KiB) Viewed 914 times
IMG_6732.JPG
IMG_6732.JPG (104.85 KiB) Viewed 914 times
IMG_6731.JPG
IMG_6731.JPG (88.19 KiB) Viewed 914 times
IMG_6730.JPG
IMG_6730.JPG (83.7 KiB) Viewed 914 times
These users thanked the author TriStateFans for the post (total 2):
bort2.0 (Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:12 pm) • bloke (Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:16 pm)

Big Francis

Re: New Dillon 995 has arrived

Post by Big Francis »

That's awesome! Congrats on the new horn!
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

New shiny stuff is always fun to get. It's only a little more than something used which might be a little dodgy.

Enjoy your tuba!
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

When I got back in I got a Three Valve (Get it?) Yamaha Chicom knockoff.

Yours, a King knock-off, I thought played better. :thumbsup:

Something like this is nice to keep around just to bring to Tuba Christmases if you get a chance. :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Enjoy the new horn, and welcome back to playing!
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
TriStateFans

Post by TriStateFans »

May God have mercy upon the ears of anybody who happens to hear me play right now.

SMOKES I was bad. I mean... bad. I guess a 25 year layoff is a bit hard on the embouchure, the wind, the range, everything.

My first note, I was like "my goodness this horn has a ton of back pressure... I mean it's almost as if..."

Then, after I remove the big styrofoam packing plug from the bell, I tried again... and the horn did just fine. Me? Call me a work in progress...
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I actually saved that picture of the packing in the bell for the next time I'm trying to tell someone how to pack a tuba to send me.
The last one, he did not understand that it needed to extend beyond the bell, but it arrived ok anyway.

Have fun with your new toy.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Yeah, it took me while too after an even longer layoff. :facepalm2:

Never being a music or performance major, I’m better now than I ever was!

Which ain’t great. :red:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

TriStateFans wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:40 pm May God have mercy upon the ears of anybody who happens to hear me play right now.

SMOKES I was bad. I mean... bad. I guess a 25 year layoff is a bit hard on the embouchure, the wind, the range, everything.
You probably sound better than you think you do. There is a fellow in the New Horizons band who showed up with a brand new Prestige euphonium and was having a hell of a time fumbling around with both pitch and fingering, BUT -- when he did hit an "easy" note, his tone quality was definitely not beginner. I'm assuming that in a few more months he'll be ready to move on to a "real" band as he gets his chops in order.
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Congratulations! Enjoy your new horn! :tuba:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

TriStateFans wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:40 pm May God have mercy upon the ears of anybody who happens to hear me play right now.

My first note, I was like "my goodness this horn has a ton of back pressure... I mean it's almost as if..."

Then, after I remove the big styrofoam packing plug from the bell, I tried again... and the horn did just fine. Me? Call me a work in progress...
"Bad" is infinitely better than "silent." Keep it up, it'll all come back faster than you think.

Years ago, I was at Dillon Music, and tried a tuba (some Miraphone, I forget what), and it was a disaster. Couldn't empty the water from it, plus it was squirrely as anything, nothing would center, and just a total mess.

Then I decided to give it a spin... out fell a single styrofoam peanut. And after that, it was the glorious Miraphone sound and playability you'd expect.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
TriStateFans (Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:03 pm)
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Styrofoam peanut!

Hahaha.

Ive been playing my old king tuba lately. Dug it out of the closet its been hibernating for near 20 years. Some occasional wierd sounds. Huh, well its almost a hundred years old. Decided to take to the basement and wash it up, flush it out with some mild soapy water. Out of the bell comes some random baby toys..... oh?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Grumpikins for the post:
TriStateFans (Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:03 pm)
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth: