Wessex Tubby Eb

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
LargeTuba

Wessex Tubby Eb

Post by LargeTuba »

https://www.baltimorebrasscompany.com/p ... -tuba.aspx

A little above the new price(?)

I tried one of these at midwest and it was fantastic. Does everything it promises. I really enjoyed playing it.

Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
bort2.0

Re: Wessex Tubby Eb

Post by bort2.0 »

New in silver plate is $7,400 and sold out with a restock date of ???????.

Seems like a fair price plus it exists NOW.

Looks like fun!
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

bort2.0 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:42 pm New in silver plate is $7,400 and sold out with a restock date of ???????.

Seems like a fair price plus it exists NOW.

Looks like fun!
Yeah I forgot about silver, My B.

It’s a fun tuba for sure. If I had to have one tuba for everything, this would probably be it.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

Years ago a friend had this old conn tuba that was the biggest Eb tuba I had ever saw. Looked like a full sized BBb. That particular instrument had the worst low register of anything I’ve ever played. I wonder if they took something like that and fixed the issues and copied it. Looks very large for a Eb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I played this horn today. A guy I trust implicitly who is mainly an Eb guy played this horn today as well.

There's something weird about the response of the 4th valve for Bb - the 4th bore is .790 and the first three are .750 with the 5th (rotor) being .850. Maybe it's just a "get used to it" thing (the new one in the Wessex booth did was the same). Neither of use could find any intonation issues. Both of us LOVED the sound this made, which really is a CC replacement sound.
Rob. Just Rob.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I had a thread where I was concerned about the low range response of this tuba, and in that thread I was jumped on by many people who said it was fine.

Since then I've gotten Private messages from people who have said "you were right"
Yep, I'm Mark
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

LeMark wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:44 pm I had a thread where I was concerned about the low range response of this tuba, and in that thread I was jumped on by many people who said it was fine.

Since then I've gotten Private messages from people who have said "you were right"
Bb was fine 1+3, but I think the larger bore makes this just a tiny tick below point-and-shoot. The sound though... woof.
Rob. Just Rob.
Kontrabasstuba

Post by Kontrabasstuba »

Good morning,
i have one too. And i'm looking for sell it. Asking 4500Euro (4800 USD) Is in gold lacquer. Plus shipping by DHL. I found an old Eb Tuba i like more :-)
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

kingrob76 wrote:I played this horn today. A guy I trust implicitly who is mainly an Eb guy played this horn today as well.

There's something weird about the response of the 4th valve for Bb - the 4th bore is .790 and the first three are .750 with the 5th (rotor) being .850. Maybe it's just a "get used to it" thing (the new one in the Wessex booth did was the same). Neither of use could find any intonation issues. Both of us LOVED the sound this made, which really is a CC replacement sound.
I wonder how it compares to the Willson 3400. I have no intention of replacing mine with this but I do like the looks of it.

arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I know aesthetics don't mean a whole lot ("the sound" + "the intonation" + "the response" trump everything else, obviously), but this model tuba just kinda looks weird.
Blake
JRaymo

Post by JRaymo »

arpthark wrote:I know aesthetics don't mean a whole lot ("the sound" + "the intonation" + "the response" trump everything else, obviously), but this model tuba just kinda looks weird.
Over never played one and doubt I ever will. I just like the idea of a large Eb tuba. I’ve heard Walter Nirchl makes them too but I have never seen one.

I bought my Willson when it was the price Wessex is now. The small Willson I’d would love to try to compare it to my larger one.