Insurance on your tuba(s)?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Grumpikins

Insurance on your tuba(s)?

Post by Grumpikins »

I had some wear and tear repairs done to my tuba last year and the cost of that got me thinking about what the cost would be if i were to have an accident and my horn was damaged. At this time, i couldnt afford major repair or replacement (of my Cc tuba anyway).

So i have been pondering and reading up on insurance for my tubas.

Anyone out there have first hand experience? Story? Recommendations? Should have done this or that regrets?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Insurance on your tuba(s)?

Post by bloke »

Grumpikins wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:29 am I had some wear and tear repairs done to my tuba last year and the cost of that got me thinking about what the cost would be if i were to have an accident and my horn was damaged. At this time, i couldnt afford major repair or replacement (of my Cc tuba anyway).

So i have been pondering and reading up on insurance for my tubas.

Anyone out there have first hand experience? Story? Recommendations? Should have done this or that regrets?

There are a couple of companies that (now...?? in the past...??) advertise to union members...and a brief search tells me there are more.

I'm fairly sure (if you consider yourself to be an "amateur/hobbyist") that most homeowner insurance policies will add specific items to be specifically insured (no deductible, or specific/reduced deductible) as "rider" policies.

hmm...
I wonder if I could insure my instruments against "a bloke screwing them up, when attempting to improve them" (??)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:43 am
hmm...
I wonder if I could insure my instruments against "a bloke screwing them up, when attempting to improve them" (??)
Just make sure you back over them in your driveway accidently first and you are all good! :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bloke (Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:07 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Right. I have read that info in my search also.

I have also read that homeowners ins add conditions that make it very difficult to collect on claims and clauses that lessen the value of your instrument.

People said that car ins should cover if damaged in an auto accident but they deny claims.

Instrument specific ins are very picky about damage that is or is not covered.

Ive read about all these things in the comments / review sections of various ins websites.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Whether cabbage, auto repairs, asphalt paving, legal representation, fixing your heater, or whatever...

...it always depends on the integrity of the seller/service provider, yes...??

...and reviews aren't much use at all:

- Satisfied people mostly go on with their lives.
- The unsatisfied and unreasonable people are often the ones to leave reviews.
- There are some who - if they decide that you don't vote the way they do - are going to write a fake bad review.
donn

Post by donn »

It's legalized gambling - you against the insurance company ("house.") They know the odds, and make sure they win in the aggregate; they don't have someone waiting to mug you outside after a big win, but they do have a lot of complicated ways to cut down on the size of your win.

Obviously it's great for things that you'd otherwise run catastrophic risks, like a long stay in the hospital, or motor vehicle liability, and it's up to you to decide what's catastrophic. Or start building up savings.
These users thanked the author donn for the post:
bloke (Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:35 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I was not sorry I had Clarion when my violin was stolen. Just for the record, it was insured, based on a ten year old appraisal, at WAY more than any tuba I've ever seen. All they asked for was a picture of the front page of the police report, and why did I wait so long to make the claim (because I was hoping that by contacting every single string player in Tucson, I might get it back.) They sent me a check and that was that. And not only that, they said if I did get it back and it was damaged, they would pay for the repairs.

I do not think a homeowner's rider would have covered my having driven away and left the violin on the sidewalk. They would have laughed me out of the room.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Thats what im looking for here. People with first hand experience and thier story.

More info to hopefully make a good choice.

Also important;

I am a "hobbyist" musician. Meaning that i dont travel/tour with my instruments or leave/store them anywhere other than my home. Where they are guarded 24/7 by my dogs. So theft should be a low risk.

Therefore, my main concern is repair from an accident. For example, i went carolling at christmas time and falling on ice with my horn was a possibility. Or getting rear ended on my way to a rehearsal......

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Clarion sells inland marine coverage tailored for musicians. It is affordable and the service is old-fashioned good.

They offer special rates to union members, but they also offer the same rate to members of Chamber Music America, whose dues area fraction of the discount on insurance (and a fraction of union dues).

They require an appraisal, but once provided it never needs to be updated unless you need to increase the coverage.

And it covers against ALL losses except termites (literally).

Rick “insured with them for 15 years at least” Denney
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Clarion requires an appraisal for any instrument $5k and above, but not below.

And I found out, after paying non-used union dues for many years, that my rate as an amateur was LOWER than the Union rate. I have all my instruments of worth insured with them, and have for a couple of decades. With any insurance company, it is very bad form to insure and then immediately try to collect.

To the OP: I did not even have my name in m violin case because you don't need to put your name on something you have not let out of your sight since you got it at age 17. Then -- you find out that you can make serious mistakes.
Last edited by Mary Ann on Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Over the last 45 years, I've wondered if I should have insured any instruments that I've had...
I just don't leave stuff in my car unless I can see my car out a window - my car windows are darkened...and I don't need to hear anything about laws regarding darkening windows on cars, I don't leave stuff in the hall when I'm told that the hall is going to be guarded or secured - because I just don't trust that BS, I don't stand outside in the parking lot or parking garage and chit chat with colleagues after concerts, and I transport my instruments in hard cases - bottom bows to the front.
' no comment as to whether or not I carry a heater.
Insurance isn't a bad idea, and it's also probably not a bad idea to greatly reduce the odds of theft or damage.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

I never had insurance, but I was able to argue homeowner's insurance when my euph was stolen out of my car. Mainly because I made no money performing euphonium. It seemed like a reluctant coverage, since my occupation is "professional musician." But since my income was only bass up to that point, I was able to get it covered.

Last week I was in a 6 car pileup, yet my car was unscathed. Distracted driver cut off a car, sideswiping the car, and she swerved back into my lane, rear-ending the car I was literally stopped behind. I was on my way to a rehearsal at Epcot. I realized that had my car been rear-ended (she was tailgating a car who was uncomfortably close to my car in the first place), my bass would have been destroyed, and I have no clue if homeowner's or auto insurance would have replaced my instrument.

I currently have a tab open for getting a quote; I just need to collect serials on everything. With three tubas, eleven electric basses and a double bass, as well as my EVI rig, amps, alphorn, and a plethora of musical knick-knacks, I would have to really actively go through everything I'd want covered.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

BopEuph wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:25 pm I never had insurance, but I was able to argue homeowner's insurance when my euph was stolen out of my car. Mainly because I made no money performing euphonium. It seemed like a reluctant coverage, since my occupation is "professional musician." But since my income was only bass up to that point, I was able to get it covered.

Last week I was in a 6 car pileup, yet my car was unscathed. Distracted driver cut off a car, sideswiping the car, and she swerved back into my lane, rear-ending the car I was literally stopped behind. I was on my way to a rehearsal at Epcot. I realized that had my car been rear-ended (she was tailgating a car who was uncomfortably close to my car in the first place), my bass would have been destroyed, and I have no clue if homeowner's or auto insurance would have replaced my instrument.

I currently have a tab open for getting a quote; I just need to collect serials on everything. With three tubas, eleven electric basses and a double bass, as well as my EVI rig, amps, alphorn, and a plethora of musical knick-knacks, I would have to really actively go through everything I'd want covered.
Make sure you get that alphorn covered. That's the real money-maker.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
BopEuph (Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:15 am)
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

I'm actually getting tuba gigs over others during Oktoberfest because I can be featured on the alphorn!
These users thanked the author BopEuph for the post:
arpthark (Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:17 am)
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If Oktoberfest were more of a thing around here - rather than "let's do that, because we've heard of it", I believe I would probably already own some genuine decent leaderhosen and a playable fiberglass alphorn...and maybe even with a single F horn valve set stuck into the front end of it - to play recognizable songs that pedestrian germanophiles would recognize.

Seems to me that if somebody wants an alphorn player, they would pay more for them to show up than what they would pay for a polka band to show up - divided by the number of players.

bloke "not an artiste, but a craftsman/businessman"
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

There are two alphorns for sale locally, one in F and the other in G.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Mary Ann wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:30 pm There are two alphorns for sale locally, one in F and the other in G.
And they are both the same instrument.

Rick "recalling my experience with alphorns" Denney
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I have played them both, and one is in F and one is in G. Not sure what you mean, Rick.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Meaning: when I play them, they could be in F or G.

Rick “it was a joke—you can laugh” Denney
LittleJon1

Post by LittleJon1 »

My wife works for USAA on the insurance property side. They offer a VPP Policy (Valuable Personal Property) policy you can insure instruments, jewelry, coins, firearms,stamps, furs, fine art, silverware & cameras. It protects if they are damaged, lost or broken. No deductible, no minimum to start and if you make a claim no strike against your claims free discount. Usually $2500 in coverage is around $2 month.
(This is coming straight from Mrs. LittleJon1)
Miraphone 289 5V. Selmansberger symphony
John Packer 379b. Selmansberger solo with profundo rim
Wilhelm Klier VB702 double bass
Jon Paul Martin German bow