Ebay: HB2 for $7K

For posting interesting and remarkable deals found on the internet.
Sousaswag

Ebay: HB2 for $7K

Post by Sousaswag »

@arpthark mentioned this in another thread. I was curious if this is the one I'd seen recently, and it indeed is. I don't know if it's got plastic rotors or not, but $7K seems fair for what it is, if it plays well. BIN for $10K which is steep for one of these.

Somebody has monkeyed with the leadpipe (why?) and the fifth valve slide. Looks to be in good shape though, and the work seems to be done well. bort's Alexander had this same loopy leadpipe too if I remember correctly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275672192039?h ... R6a0lZrGYQ

Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
arpthark

Re: Ebay: HB2 for $7K

Post by arpthark »

Thanks, @Sousaswag. This tuba is local to me, and it's been up forever, and I have no idea what's up with it.

Lead pipe looks Bob Pallansch-y, and it has a mishmash dubro linkage set.

Interesting that the fifth valve slide on this model doesn't "fold down" like on other HB-2's.

If I could play test it, I'd be tempted to upgrade my Eastman for it. It doesn't seem like there's much interest, and I have no idea who the seller is. eBay prohibits sharing personal information, so I can't meet up before purchase to try. It would be a matter of negotiating to make a BIN/best offer option available, paying that, and then negotiating the eBay return policy crap if I am not happy with it. And I don't want to stick down $6-7k on a crudtastic tuba.

Would be pretty neat if slicked out with Minibal or 3B linkage.

edit: I would bet that, due to the overall condition and plating wear that this is an older one that has the triplene rotors.

Blake
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

:coffee:
arpthark wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:32 am Thanks, @Sousaswag. This tuba is local to me, and it's been up forever, and I have no idea what's up with it.

Interesting that the fifth valve slide on this model doesn't "fold down" like on other HB-2's.

If I could play test it, I'd be tempted to upgrade my Eastman for it. It doesn't seem like there's much interest, and I have no idea who the seller is. eBay prohibits sharing personal information, so I can't meet up before purchase to try. It would be a matter of negotiating to make a BIN/best offer option available, paying that, and then negotiating the eBay return policy crap if I am not happy with it. And I don't want to stick down $6-7k on a crudtastic tuba.

edit: I would bet that, due to the overall condition and plating wear that this is an older one that has the triplene rotors.

Blake
You can get the eBay seller to change it to local pickup, and pay with cash I think.
Pt-6P, Holton 345 CC, 45slp
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

LargeTuba wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:48 am :coffee:
arpthark wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:32 am Thanks, @Sousaswag. This tuba is local to me, and it's been up forever, and I have no idea what's up with it.

Blake
You can get the eBay seller to change it to local pickup, and pay with cash I think.
It is listed as local pickup, but I believe I would have to pay before the seller is allowed to divulge the pickup location. eBay would block/prohibit sharing an address, and you risk your account getting banned for trying to sell outside of eBay. But if you've had experience otherwise, I am definitely interested.
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I think I remember (this was a couple years ago) when I bought something that was local pickup on eBay, there was an option to pay when I picked up the instrument. I got some sort of code that the seller would scan so I could pay when we met up. I ended up just having him ship the item, so I never found out.
internalanarchy

Post by internalanarchy »

Why is he listing it as both BBb and CC?
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Hirsbrunner is one of the few brands of tubas that I haven't owned yet. I'd LOVE :hearteyes: to have one some day, but don't have any expectations to do so.

Yes, this leadpipe looks like the work (or at least inspiration of) Bob Pallansch. My Alex 163 had the same kind of leadpipe (which was from a Miraphone 190 BBb) and it made all the funky pitch stuff of the Alex pretty much go away. There are other tubas out there with this done to it, like Dave Kirk's Alex or the Alex mish-mash that Don Harry has. My supposition is that this tuba plays pretty well with that leadpipe, because it looks goofy as hell and nobody would tolerate it if it didn't exceed visual expectations.

The linkages are what they are, and that can always be changed.

The paddle bar *I think* should have "TRYPLEN" stamped on it if the valves are made of tryplen... although my Alex had a paddle bar that said "tryplen" but had been retrofit with metal valves. Tryplen has been known to be really difficult in hot climates, and other people seem to not really have any trouble.

I don't have $7k, and I don't think I'd spend my $7k on THIS if I had it... if it plays well, I don't think it's an absurd price, but I do think it was listed lower than this last fall. Personally, I think this is more like a <= $6k tuba... and one of those oddball tubas where in the $5500-6000 range It would sell quickly, but at a higher price it would take a lot longer to sell.

For $7k, there are a LOT of options, and dealing with the Hirsbrunner ups and downs isn't as appealing -- or necessary -- as it used to be.
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

I don’t know that I’d spend $7k on THIS tuba in the shape (cosmetically, linkages, monkeyed leadpipe) that it’s in. I think bort’s price assessment is pretty accurate for this particular horn. I wouldn’t mess with it if it does indeed have plastic rotors. YMMV.

I do wonder how some of these horns have the silver wear that they have. I know they’re old.

It makes me worry about the condition of the brass, personally. You don’t know if somebody did bad repair work or that it’s been played so much that some guy’s sweat just ate into that tuba. (The leadpipe scar is a different story. I’m talking about the finish wear in the other places.)

If Blake were to switch his Eastman for it and MAKE money on that switch, I don’t think it would be a bad move. You’d probably like it, if it’s a good one. Maybe a play test if you can arrange it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
These users thanked the author Sousaswag for the post:
arpthark (Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:34 pm)
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I found this on Facebook. I think its the same tuba?
Last edited by LargeTuba on Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The link to fb won't work properly (even to subscribers) until you encase it:

https://www.facebook.com/JLandressBrass ... u4dog2w9Tl
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
LargeTuba (Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:37 pm)
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

bloke wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:25 pm The link to fb won't work properly (even to subscribers) until you encase it:

https://www.facebook.com/JLandressBrass ... u4dog2w9Tl
Thanks, thats the one. I wonder how it made it from this respectable shop to ebay.
These users thanked the author LargeTuba for the post:
bloke (Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:10 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I stay away from reselling that make.
(I have a bad habit of avoiding flipping stuff that I myself don't particularly care for...which costs me money...and I need to quit being that way.)

I sold only one of that make (actually twice).

It was what the Michigan store had called an HB-21 (legitimate model number was 392).

I believe it was military surplus. The valves had been removed and discarded (perhaps so that the military COULD surplus it...I tend to suspect that a bandman disliked it, and this was the only way they could requisition what they wanted).

Hier Peter helped me out. He had a set of pistons that worked fine, but had little dents in them. He sold them to me a a fair price, I had Dave Secrist "perfect them up", I fit them back into the casings, sold it to a local kid, he used it for several years, DIDN'T PUT A SCRATCH ON IT, sold it back to me, and I sold it again.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

A former classmate of mine whom I have known since we were both in high school, immensely talented, recently won a premier band audition (and I will say) despite playing on the HB-21 / HBS-392 that he has had ever since he was in high school. He sounds amazing on it. I borrowed it a few times and couldn't ever quite figure it out.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:26 pm A former classmate of mine whom I have known since we were both in high school, immensely talented, recently won a premier band audition (and I will say) despite playing on the HB-21 / HBS-392 that he has had ever since he was in high school. He sounds amazing on it. I borrowed it a few times and couldn't ever quite figure it out.
yeah...I might give him just as much of a thumbs-up as my recently-deceased close friend, who played for those folks with the school's 36K (easier to steer than that which is referred to just above).

bloke "As Hb is the Rolls Royce, perhaps the Conn 36K fiberglass is the Bentley...??"

(I always thought these sorta look like flying b-holes...and are even labeled as such...??)
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

I know the now owner of that Hb-21 that you resold, and have played that horn several times. The owner still has it, still loves it, and still plays it.

I like either model 2 better, but it’s a very good Hb-21.

At least, better than any clone of it I’ve played. Still has some funky pitch that my 2P doesn’t have.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
LargeTuba

Post by LargeTuba »

I know this is slightly off topic, but I enjoyed playing the JP clone, and I hated the Adam’s remake(?).
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The original piston version basically featured a Nirschl valve section pasted onto the body designed for the rotary version.
That looped main tuning slide should have faced upward and should have been reachable by the left hand to tune any note, because it features wonky A-flat overtone series pitch issues too, as well as other inconsistencies.
I went over one a few years ago for someone, was hoping to see that the tuning issues were less than with the 392, but it seemed to be just about the same.
Some of the better Kalison Smith models were easier to play in tune and were pretty similar in the type of resonance they delivered. I was actually tempted to keep one of these instead of flipping it, one time. The problem, though, was that it wasn't the Rolls-Royce of tubas. "Daryl" just doesn't carry the cache of "Rolls-Royce", does it?
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:42 am The original piston version basically featured a Nirschl valve section pasted onto the body designed for the rotary version.
That looped main tuning slide should have faced upward and should have been reachable by the left hand to tune any note, because it features wonky A-flat overtone series pitch issues too, as well as other inconsistencies.
I went over one a few years ago for someone, was hoping to see that the tuning issues were less than with the 392, but it seemed to be just about the same.
Some of the better Kalison Smith models were easier to play in tune and were pretty similar in the type of resonance they delivered. I was actually tempted to keep one of these instead of flipping it, one time. The problem, though, was that it wasn't the Rolls-Royce of tubas. "Daryl" just doesn't carry the cache of "Rolls-Royce", does it?
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
bloke (Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:27 am)
walkerwilson416
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by walkerwilson416 »

Blake
It like you're evaluating a potentially intriguing tuba for purchase. Given the uncertainties around its condition and the challenges with the seller, caution is understandable, especially with a significant investment. Ensuring you're comfortable with the transaction and potential return policies is crucial. Good luck with your decision!
matt g

Post by matt g »

walkerwilson416 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:20 am

Blake
It like you're evaluating a potentially intriguing tuba for purchase. Given the uncertainties around its condition and the challenges with the seller, caution is understandable, especially with a significant investment. Ensuring you're comfortable with the transaction and potential return policies is crucial. Good luck with your decision!
Bro, are you real? I just checked your post history and I’m a bit suspicious, especially with that website in your signature. Lemme know asap.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
arpthark (Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:37 am)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)