drill of the millennium

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

drill of the millennium

Post by bloke »

Kopprasch (tuba - Robert King ed.) etude #29

- upper optional pitches only
- in Bb, A, A-flat, G, G-flat, F, and E
- played on a BABBT

Miss a pitch - in any of the seven keys: Start over (in B-flat)

These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Tim Jackson (Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:36 am)

Mary Ann

Re: drill of the millennium

Post by Mary Ann »

That's a good recipe to develop dystonia, the "miss a pitch and start over" thing. It puts FAR too much focus on the chops.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Mary Ann wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:22 pm That's a good recipe to develop dystonia, the "miss a pitch and start over" thing. It puts FAR too much focus on the chops.
The ONLY way that I can hit the vast majority of the pitches is to
- ABSOLUTELY/CONSTANTLY sing it in my head.
- NEITHER think about the tuba NOR my playing of it.
- CONSTANTLY read AHEAD.

so far - in my "career" as an "artiste" (such as it has been :laugh: )
- no dystonia
- (more-and-more) laughing off screw-ups

Right now, I have dry eyes, a headache, and a sore throat.
I decided to play through it anyway, this morning...and without first going through a "routine" (as I neither have or am that).

I DID go back and play through it in A...but - after that - the cheesy chorizo eggs and coffee were ready...
Ace (Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:53 pm)
Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson »

No pain... no gain!

I'll be doing this later tonight. I like the rewards of hard work.
Amazing how some of the solo lit seems easier once you start getting more extreme stuff in the prep time. Notice I don't use the term "warm-up" as that could set off another rant 'round here :laugh:

TJ
These users thanked the author Tim Jackson for the post:
bloke (Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:19 pm)
jtm

Post by jtm »

Guess I should buy the Kopprasch, since I can't read that picture.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Also, focal dystonia is only recognized as a neurological condition, and has no known causes. Overworking could be a cause, but it can also merely be an exacerbator of an already underlying condition. As far as we know, it could be hereditary and people are predisposed to get it, or not. But practicing perfectly has always been my mantra. Now, that can manifest in bleeding fingers or CTS issues when practicing bass, or dermatological issues for brass chops, but I do my best to listen to my body when I can, and hopefully can win my auditions.

That being said, this exercise is a monster and I might have to add it to my daily practice for a while. I doubt I'll want to work it out in seven keys, though. :laugh:
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

jtm (Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:50 pm)
Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson »

"ABSOLUTELY/CONSTANTLY sing it in my head"

...isn't that the only way?

TJ
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

jtm wrote:Guess I should buy the Kopprasch, since I can't read that picture.
It isn’t any better for me full size.

Rick “still working on Blazhevich” Denney
These users thanked the author Rick Denney for the post:
jtm (Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:33 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Blazhevich, I'm thinking, was put together primarily to help trombonists become proficient at switching back and forth between bass and tenor clefs.

The (horn) Kopprasch method may appear to be more daunting (because the pages might look blacker), but everything on every page is absolutely predictable, and the book lays a really good foundation for >> applications << of scales and arpeggios, rather than simply practicing scales and arpeggios for their own sake. Moreover, working on Kopprasch really assists more rapid mastery of (certainly) tonal pieces and probably sight reading of them as well.

Something else sort of nice about it is that they're only 60 of them - rather than some half or three quarter inch book, as with the Arban - so it offers more of a physical appearance of something that someone can strive to get through, rather than seeming so hopeless due to its mass. Every few years or perhaps every two or three years, I pick it back up and review it. My strongest read is f tuba so it's pretty easy for me to make it through that book playing that. Right now I'm trying to teach myself the method while playing B flat, which I've never done before.
arpthark (Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:50 am)
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

So you're basically saying it's an overall improvement of the Arban concept. Then again, Arban seems a bit more instructional where the Kopprasch is a bit more honing your skills, so to speak.

I haven't really touched the Kopprasch since I played euphonium in college, but there were some fun exercises. My favorite one in the trombone book is #14 in the Robert King book.

I have collected over 100 brass technique/study books over the years, so I've been messing with many of these (I even have a Jack Teagarden book in there?). Really dig the Bai Lin--I think I've already gone through two hard copies, the most recent one was drowned in a spilled cup of coffee.

Maybe I'll do some Kopprasch for a time.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Maybe I would say it's a truncated version of Arban, yet maybe just a little bit more exploration into the sharp keys, percentage-wise.

confession: I've never gone all the way through Arban, and only skipped around through it. I am interested in exploring - or revisiting - some of the other (non-encyclopedic) trumpet methods, as I expressed in a thread a few weeks ago.
BopEuph (Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:28 am)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Arban is great to pluck from, but as has been alluded, "reading through" Arban is equivalent of reading through the Oxford English Dictionary starting at A and ending at Z.

Blazhevich Vol. 2 is a tour-de-force of sharp keys, trombone clef book or not. I do like the Kopprasch as well.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post (total 2):
bloke (Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:29 am) • BopEuph (Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:28 am)
Blake
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Yeah, I've never gone through Arban all the way, but it's a massive part of my daily routine (which, in the last six or so months, I've actually not done, and have made etudes out of passages I'm currently working on instead). I have, however, been interested in going through the Trumpet book. It's much thicker than the Randall/Mantia trombone version, so there *has* to be more in it.

I was never a fan of the more recent editions essentially doubling the price of the Randall/Mantia one. I still tell my students to buy that because it's much more affordable, and there's no more musical or technical benefit in the new editions, since they're home practice tools, and the "mistakes" are still useful.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

I just bought the Bowman / Alessi version of the Arban. Each section starts with advice from both of them on how to approach the material. If you don't have the actual Bowman or Alessi available to you, it is well worth the price.
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

I'll give it a try.......... as soon as I find my microscope!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

...so (since - when it comes to playing/practicing) I don't like to just "talk $h!t", I'm actually working on this drill/exercise from the "open" key (I'm playing a B-flat tuba) down to the "all valves down" (E, or the 1-2-3 valve combination) key.

Mostly, I'm playing them (so called) "by ear" (scale steps/intervals, based on my fingers and mind knowing the arpeggios), but I'm also finding that (using one of the four sets of fingerings (B-flat, C, E-flat, F), one of the two clefs (bass/treble) and reading bass or treble clef as either a non-transposed or a B-flat-transposed clef, I can actually just READ most of them.

It's improving my accuracy/focus/mind/ear/familiarity-with-this-behemoth-B-flat-tuba.

bloke "Working on stuff that isn't easy is - well... - hard." :laugh:
pjv

Post by pjv »

If you're into challenging your Bb reading/valve mashing I can truly recomend Verne Reynolds' 48 Studies for French Horn. I just play them in C, but I don't think it really makes a difference which key you play them in. They can be real head bangers.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

pjv wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:28 pm If you're into challenging your Bb reading/valve mashing I can truly recomend Verne Reynolds' 48 Studies for French Horn. I just play them in C, but I don't think it really makes a difference which key you play them in. They can be real head bangers.
I have Cherry Beauregard's old crappy manuscript version, and have been reading back through them (now: on my B-flat tuba).
...It was SO crappy, that I had to take a ruler - to each line on each staff on each page - and re-trace every single line. :smilie6:

As is known (yes?) the first 24 are pairs of slow-fast etudes concentrating on each of the basic intervals (ex: #'s 1 & 2 are studies on the interval of the semitone), and the subsequent 24 are mix-and-match.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Last edited by arpthark on Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
bloke (Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:52 pm)
Blake