price quotes for schools

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

price quotes for schools

Post by bloke »

Some schools/systems look at formal quotes - written on letterhead, use common sense, and say to themselves, "OK...so that's what they would/will charge for whatever or doing whatever".

Others are extremely anal, band directors don't know all the ins-and-outs of the anu...(never mind), and the poor business has to redo/resubmit quotes several times.

If you're a band director, try to find out just how quotes must be submitted (ahead of time).

Believe it or not, businesses BOTH remember which schools/systems pay promptly, and ALSO remember which ones run/ran them through the ringer (simply to submit quotes).

:smilie8: :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
russiantuba (Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:53 pm) • WC8KCY (Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:16 pm)

imnotbrown
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Re: price quotes for schools

Post by imnotbrown »

Currently wrestling with several school districts in my area that keep asking for invoices to be billed in different ways. You would think that would be the easy part but for whatever reason it gets much harder to do once the agreed upon services have been rendered...
PT-6P Clone
F Schmidt PT-1
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I hate it but I'm adding about an hour of labor for the rigmarole involved in just sending a quote and waiting extra long to get paid.

For those who regularly take longer to pay than even they promise to (via their "policies"), I'm adding the equivalent of more calculated time to the repair cost.

Selling schools new instruments, I'm making side deals with the manufacturers whereby I pay them within 2 days of being paid myself - regardless of how long it takes me to get paid, and for the manufacturers' absolute lowest dealer price.

I'm also catching myself repairing stuff for schools that pay quicker first, and for schools that pay slower later, regardless of the order in which they were sent in to be repaired.
Last edited by bloke on Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

bloke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:44 pm I hate it but I'm adding about an hour of labor for the rigmarole involved in just sending a quote and waiting extra long to get paid.

For those who regularly take longer to pay than even they promise to (via their "policies"), I'm adding the equivalent of more calculated time to the repair cost.

Selling schools new instruments, I'm making side deals with the manufacturers whereby I pay them within 2 days of being paid myself - regardless of how long it takes me to get paid, and for the manufacturers' absolute lowest dealer price.

I'm also catching myself repairing stuff that for schools that pay quicker first, and for schools that pay slower later, regardless of the order in which they were sent in to be repaired.
It’s rare to happen but there’s such a thing as a proforma invoice which may or may not leave a settling balance to be paid too. Just a thought and a way of trading to consider with those customers who, historically, are slow payers.