Schiller 4-Valve Mini F Tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
martyneilan

Schiller 4-Valve Mini F Tuba

Post by martyneilan »

This is not the Travel Tuba or "Bubbie" (update, I may be wrong about that) but has a 12" bell and looks to be more like a true 1/2 size F tuba (assuming the 621 is considered a 3/4).
Has anyone tried one of these horns? I am not in the market, but it looks interesting - dig that 1st valve wrap. Maybe a bass trombone or cimbasso substitute? Did they just stick a bunch of extra cylindrical tubing on their euphonium body?
Last edited by martyneilan on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bone-a-phone

Re: Schiller 4-Valve Mini F Tuba

Post by bone-a-phone »

This was actually the first Wessex Bubbie, but there were a lot of complaints about it being stuffy, and not use for much other than warming up on holiday. I also wanted to use this as a bass bone substitute, but it doesn't cut it in that role. The new Wessex Bubbie 5 is a complete redesign with a bigger bore and has another valve. I haven't got one of those, but I hear it's an improvement.
These users thanked the author bone-a-phone for the post:
martyneilan (Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:57 am)
martyneilan

Post by martyneilan »

bone-a-phone wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:38 am This was actually the first Wessex Bubbie, but there were a lot of complaints about it being stuffy, and not use for much other than warming up on holiday. I also wanted to use this as a bass bone substitute, but it doesn't cut it in that role. The new Wessex Bubbie 5 is a complete redesign with a bigger bore and has another valve. I haven't got one of those, but I hear it's an improvement.
You may be right, I had thought the original Bubbie had a smaller bell. I remember it as being almost unplayably stuffy and lack of pitch center in the middle to lower range with a standard tuba mouthpiece.
Here is a picture taken years ago of a first generation Bubbie next to an early incarnation of my 6/4 formerly known as BART:
BartAndBubbie.jpg
BartAndBubbie.jpg (47.78 KiB) Viewed 303 times
cjk

Post by cjk »

look up the specs on that thing if you can find it. iirc, the bore is smaller than the exterior end of an American tuba shank. I had and sold one of the original Bubbie tubas. They looked exactly like that Schiller thing. You could play them as a practice instrument. Otherwise, I did not consider it to be useful. Maybe not even for that.