pulling out old books

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

pulling out old books

Post by bloke »

I just pulled out and removed dust from an OLD (Southern Music - 1972) tuba etude book entitled "28 Advanced Studies"

It's a combination of vocalises written by a 19th century mezzo-soprano vocal instructor, Mathilde Marchesi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathilde_Marchesi and - from the same span of time - a German violinist and voice instructor, Heinrich Panofka https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Panofka .

David Kuehn https://musicacademy.org/big-profiles/david-l-kuehn/ did the transcriptions. I believe he preceded Don Little at North Texas, moved up to chairman, later on to bigger/better things, I believe he's still alive, and I recall (when he lived in Denton) that he had a sousaphone-with-vines-growing-all-over-it mailbox in front of his house.

I also recall I that bought the book very gently used - along with a 5-speed 26" rear wheel, a derailleur, braided steel cable, and hand lever (to replace the trashed 3-speed rear wheel/hub on my bike) from a friend for a total of $5.

Neither's vocalises are rhythmically complex, but stay pretty darn "busy". Marchesi's being the busier of the two composers'.

Does anyone still use this book? I'm seeing that it's still available for $37.

WIth a $3 original price, inflation calculators put it at $19, so (I suppose) $5 for the book + restored mobility was somewhat of a bargain.

Three Valves

Re: pulling out old books

Post by Three Valves »

I sold a similar edition for $10.

I read thru it a few times and wasn't feeling it.

...also about the 60 Musical Studies Vol/Book I (Kuehn) in case you didn't look up the description;

Brass, Tuba - Grade 3
Tuba. Composed by Mathilde Marchesi and Giuseppe Concone. Arranged by David Kuehn. Brass Solos & Ensembles - Tuba Methods/Studies. Southern Music. Instruction. Softcover. 24 pages. Southern Music Company #B247. Published by Southern Music Company (HL.3770347).
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bloke (Mon May 08, 2023 11:45 am)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm going to finish reading them, and then put it back in the file cabinet.

Reading anything (with FatBastard) strengthens my B-flat reading skills.

good phraseology: "not feeling it"...exactly.
acemorgan

Post by acemorgan »

Seeing the word Marchesi in print, reminded me of when I was a vocal music major many decades ago. The Marchesi book was not quite on the level of, say, the Arban for brass players, but close.

I think I still have a copy of it somewhere. Your post made me think about using it as a resource for my euphonium work, since I play the euph in treble these days. I might also try it with my Eb tubas, because, well why not? In a practice session, I will often go back and forth, playing the same treble passages in both instruments, trying to coax my euphonium upper range.

I while I am in mode, maybe I'll dig out my German lieder book, as well. Those pieces are easily as useful for lyrical phrasing as the Bordogni collection.
These users thanked the author acemorgan for the post:
bloke (Tue May 09, 2023 11:42 am)
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought. -Basho

Courtois Eb
Carl Fischer Eb
Wessex Dolce
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

Still have my copy. Revisit it occasionally but not often. I got to study privately on Saturdays with David Kuehn in the early 70s when I was an undergrad at another university. He was a fine teacher and had a unique but very effective way of motivating. He's still living out in California. Still have my original copy of the Bill Bell warmups. I think my edition has a copyright date from the 50s.
These users thanked the author Jperry1466 for the post:
bloke (Tue May 09, 2023 6:40 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm veering off of my own topic, but I finally gave that "low etudes" book a go.

It's interesting how it doesn't just stay in the low range but stays mostly in the middle range and then dips down to the low range. It's neither a thrilling nor exhilarating book, but guess what: My low range on the really big tuba is just a tad better, and the double low C - with all of those valves down on this really large bore large body B-flat is now coming out easily. (That's the pitch with 5, 2, 3, & 4 depressed and with some slide pulled out a few inches for good intonation.)