Mouthpiece!!!..... Update

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Paulver

Mouthpiece!!!..... Update

Post by Paulver »

Awhile back, I'd posted regarding possible mouthpiece selections. Quite by chance, I was able to connect up with a Laskey rep and had the opportunity to test a wide variety of mouthpieces for an extended period of time. Long story made short, I ended up selecting the very first mouthpiece that Scott had originally suggested to me a few years ago........ a 28G. I wasn't able to find that particular one at the time, but since Eastman bought the company, they are now readily available.

A few observations.......... The first thing I noticed was that the rim is much more comfortable. It doesn't "cut in" (not necessarily a great description) as much as the 28H that I have been using. Secondly, as Scott had told me, the 28G has a little more pop to the sound, and I think it compliments my 186 nicely. Thirdly, it has satisfied my desire to play a bit more comfortably in the upper range. I find that I'm not struggling as much to get a decent sound on those "couple more notes" that I was wanting to get to, and I don't tire as quickly. Conversely, I'm able to still get a nice bold and gutsy sound down low, if desired. Fourthly, and this might just be my imagination at this point, but it feels like it's easier to do rapid tonguing.

Anyway, I just thought I'd follow up on an earlier post that some folks were kind enough to respond to.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!
These users thanked the author Paulver for the post (total 3):
matt g (Sat May 27, 2023 1:14 pm) • Pauvog1 (Tue May 30, 2023 12:11 pm) • YorkNumber3.0 (Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:48 am)