Looking for Repairman

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Pakins51

Looking for Repairman

Post by Pakins51 »

Hello! I live in South Georgia and there's no really good places to repair more professional tubas. I'm needing some work done on my horn, but my usual guy has developed hand problems so he no longer can. Does anyone know of anyone in south Georgia, South Carolina, or in North Florida(Jacksonville area) who would be good?

Mark

Re: Looking for Repairman

Post by Mark »

Is James Jenkins still with the Jacksonville Symphony? If so, contact him and ask who he recommends.
jtuba

Post by jtuba »

Is northwest of Atlanta too far? If not, Rich Ita is excellent
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

Pakins51 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:03 pm Hello! I live in South Georgia and there's no really good places to repair more professional tubas. I'm needing some work done on my horn, but my usual guy has developed hand problems so he no longer can. Does anyone know of anyone in south Georgia, South Carolina, or in North Florida(Jacksonville area) who would be good?
I had a similar problem finding someone who was good at repairing trombone slides, lots of folk will attempt that repair but only some folk make a good job of it. After scratching my head for a while I contacted another local music group to see who they use and they made a good recommendation of who to use and who was best not used a second time. So, as others have said, it’s worth while reaching out to members of other local music groups to see who they use.

I’ve nearly an hour and a half’s drive to my preferred repairer and he’s become expensive so some travel and some higher than anticipated expense might be involved.

A mention, in the tittle, of your local Town or City might encourage replies … worth a try and just saying. :-) .
tabert
Has thanked: 0

Post by tabert »

I've had Chris Bluemel in Charleston SC do good work on one of my horns. His website is here: https://theinstrumentdoc.com/about