Should I buy a Jinbao tuba?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
LukasKruck
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Should I buy a Jinbao tuba?

Post by LukasKruck »

Hallo, im a 17 year old tubaplayer, who is interested in buying his own tuba. I've gotten some advice from local tubaplayers, but nothing really specific. There is someone near me selling a almost unused jinbao 5/4 Bb tuba. Should I buy it or not? It costs 19600 norwegian kroner, that's about 1800 dollars or 1500 pounds. Please help me with this decision.

Charlie C Chowder

Re: Should I buy a Jinbao tuba?

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

As my wife would say, "Why is he/she selling it?"

CCC
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Welcome! I’m sure you’ll get lots of advice and differing opinions.

JinBao is a large factory in China that makes instruments both under their own label and “stencil” horns for other brands. Folks have reported JinBao quality quite variable under their own trade name. Some have reported getting a good one, others problematic. There are companies that buy JinBao instruments stenciled with their own name, and then they exercise an additional level of quality control before they are sold at retail, replacing faulty parts and making adjustments as needed. “Mack Brass” here in the United States is one example of such a business model.

At a used price of the equivalent of $1800 USD, it seems a bit overpriced to me. I think it’s possible to buy a similar horn brand new here in the USA for that. I think there’s room to make a lower counter offer and negotiate a better bottom line price. Since you’re in Europe check the new price for the same model through Thomann. It may be under another brand but you can learn to recognize the equivalent JinBao model by the pictures.

You don’t give any other details about the tuba other than it’s 5/4 Bb. How many valves? Rotors or pistons?

You are to be commended for wanting to own your own tuba at such a young age. That said, it’s a big investment that you should expect to last many years. You should think about what you want to use the tuba for, and makes sure it meets your needs. If you buy upright valves then decide you’d rather have front mounted, it will be too late. Ditto for rotors and pistons.
On the other hand, having something of your own to play is better than having nothing! If you stick with playing tuba, it is unlikely that your first horn will be your last. Still, I would recommend caution. Be careful about buying the first thing that comes along just because it’s available. Spend some time considering your options.

Hope you found this helpful.
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post:
Toakstertuba (Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:50 am)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
LukasKruck
Lurker

Post by LukasKruck »

Thanks to both of you, the guy that sells it kinda "deals" with instruments, it seems like it's his job.

The tuba has 4 piston valves, and one rotor valve. I couldn't find any other price estimations, but I will ask the person selling if I'm allowed to try it before I buy it. I've been playing 3+1 piston valves, but I think the 4+1 system is possibly better, considering that I don't like the way I'm holding the tuba now. I'm also used to play Eb tuba, and not Bb, but I want to learn Bb, because it seems more fun. Is that a smart choice or should I stay with Eb?
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Yes, I think the move to BBb makes sense. It’s the de facto standard in Europe. Eb horns are mostly seen in English style brass bands. Although an Eb can be fun as well! In the USA, CC still seems to rule with professionals, although BBb is enjoying a Renaissance of sorts. You also see a lot of F horns over here for certain things.

4+1 is good. This is the configuration many professionals like. Play testing the one you plan to buy is a must. Make sure you have an appropriate mouthpiece. Eb mouthpieces are unlikely to work. Buy one designed of CC or BBb. Then, if you like it, it’s just a matter of working out the best deal you can. If it comes with a case, that’s a plus. If it’s just the tuba you will have to add $500-700 USD for a case. Try to find out the exact model, and what it would cost new. Your dealer should be marking it down from new at least 25%-30% even if it’s in excellent shape.

You know, maybe it is a good deal you are being offered. The closest thing I could find is the Thomann “Grand Fifty”. Take a look at that and see if it’s close to what you’re being offered. It’s 5/4, 4 pistons, 1 rotor. $3400 new for lacquer. If that’s what it is, or close, $1800 would be pretty good discount off of new, better than 40%.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
LukasKruck
Lurker

Post by LukasKruck »

Thanks, ill look into it. I will also ask the dealer about the case. Thank u
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

My advice is to try out as many different tubas as you can. It's a huge amount of money if your looking for a newish horn.

I prefer old used horns. When I bought my MW 2145 (used), I had it side by side with a brand new one of the same model. I liked the sound and feel/ response of the used one better.

On the 5th valve.. after college, I rarely use it. If your not doing serious hard core orchestral work it's not needed. In my opinion anyway.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

Wait and find something else… Even with your budget as it is I wouldn’t recommend a Jinbao horn. You can likely find a reasonably priced 3+1 European-made Eb tuba for around that budget. That’s what I’d do.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

Why not try it instead of jumping to conclusions, or asking strangers? :eyes:
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

He is a neophyte tuba buyer -- was wondering if he would be "allowed" to playtest it. I'd say, possibly wrong seller for this young person. He needs someone who cares what he gets, which may be difficult.

Also I wanted to comment that the required air supply for a BBb, especially a big one, is way different than the air supply required for an Eb. It would be a significant change to get a large BBb after your only experience being on Eb.

I also would recommend just waiting a while and looking at offerings over a period of months, and play test as many tubas as you can. Spending that amount of money, which is a lot for a high school person, can cause upset when you realize how much better a decision you could have made if you waited to educate yourself a bit longer.
Charlie C Chowder

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

I agree with you Mary Ann, he could take a more knowledgeable teacher or friend.

CCC